PDA

View Full Version : Polish now or wait till spring?

Pages : [1] 2

novarider
01-20-2018, 11:22 AM
I bought a 2011 Audi a4 in November and the paint has a bunch of swirl marks and some scratches. I was planning on doing a full wash, clay, polish and wax tomorrow since it's going to be 60 degrees. I read in another thread that you should wait till spring to do paint correction. Is this correct? If so why?

If I need to wait what should I do now other than just wash the salt off?

The Guz
01-20-2018, 12:55 PM
If you have the time and the weather is good then go ahead and do it now.

Kamakaz1961
01-20-2018, 01:41 PM
If you have a garage I would do it now. If no garage then weather permitting I would go for it!

LEDetailing
01-20-2018, 02:44 PM
If your area is normally going to get a lot of snow in February and March I would hold off on polishing until mid-late spring. There is too much junk that gets onto your paint when they salt/sand roads.

If your region is normally very little snow then go for polishing it now and enjoy the clean, glossy, corrected paint:)

Dan K
01-20-2018, 02:45 PM
If your area is normally going to get a lot of snow in February and March I would hold off on polishing until mid-late spring. There is too much junk that gets onto your paint when they salt/sand roads.

If your region is normally very little snow then go for polishing it now and enjoy the clean, glossy, corrected paint:)

Agree 100 percent.

novarider
01-20-2018, 03:39 PM
Not much actual snow but we get freezing rain etc so they salt quite a bit so I will probably wait.

Should I wash, clay and wax tomorrow or just wash?

tofuproductions
01-20-2018, 04:26 PM
48 degrees here in Chicago. I took advantage of it. 61661

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk.
LS 460 “Burnt Toast”
S2000 “Banana Boat”
600RR “Orange Chicken”

luvmyrv
01-20-2018, 05:27 PM
48 degrees here in Chicago. I took advantage of it. 61661

LS 460 “Burnt Toast”
S2000 “Banana Boat”
600RR “Orange Chicken”

You missed Mike's 1st rule of detailing...Don't set your tools on the ground, especially that DA and pad!!! :)

tofuproductions
01-20-2018, 05:38 PM
You missed Mike's 1st rule of detailing...Don't set your tools on the ground, especially that DA and pad!!! :)

Hahah oh I know. I realized that the moment after I took the pic. No pad was on the polisher though.

LS 460 “Burnt Toast”
S2000 “Banana Boat”
600RR “Orange Chicken”

Dan K
01-20-2018, 05:49 PM
Not much actual snow but we get freezing rain etc so they salt quite a bit so I will probably wait.

Should I wash, clay and wax tomorrow or just wash?

Personally I would wash, clay and wax. The car will look better and be easier to maintain for the rest of the winter. Should be less work to clay again in spring before polishing it also.

TTQ B4U
01-20-2018, 07:39 PM
Personally I would wash, clay and wax. The car will look better and be easier to maintain for the rest of the winter. Should be less work to clay again in spring before polishing it also.

^^ this. The only reason not to is if you don't have a climate controlled garage or work space. Otherwise, have at it. As mentioned here, you'll likely re-do it again in spring just to polish off the winter much and road grime. It will also give you another opportunity to review the level of correction you achieved and provide a window to correct any areas needing more.

novarider
01-20-2018, 07:42 PM
I don't have a garage. I will be outside.

TTQ B4U
01-20-2018, 07:53 PM
I don't have a garage. I will be outside.

I would wait to polish until temps are in the 50's or better then. Most products have a min. temp range for working but honestly, to polish outside in the cold would not be pleasant. I'd likely be hitting up familiy, friends, etc. to see if they had a garage :)

novarider
01-20-2018, 07:55 PM
Gonna be 60 degrees tomorrow

ntwillie1
01-20-2018, 10:34 PM
In the winter, when weather allows, I wash and apply hydro2or similar product. It’s easier to apply and still gives some durability. I save my full details for spring, summer and fall. Some products like polishes also only work well a over certain temperatures. Good luck and have fun.