PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel cleaning

Pages : [1] 2

cheekyage
01-20-2018, 09:35 AM
Hi all

Can anyone help me by passing on some product recommendations and advice on how to try and clean this steering wheel, or is it perhaps too far gone?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180120/2cc7a7ef5673123b58ecc9783575f898.jpg

FUNX650
01-20-2018, 10:42 AM
•From what it looks like (at least from
my vantage point) that the steering
wheel is made from:

-Meguiar’s M40 would be my NO.1 classic
choice for cleaning/protection/remediation.

[Lest I forget: “Test Spot”
(as a “best practice”) ~M.P.]

Bob

davidc
01-20-2018, 10:50 AM
Mine looked kind of like that and maybe a little worse. I tried a few products that really did not help. I was at the point of pulling the wheel and sending it out to be recovered or buying one of those leather wraps but was not fond of the ridge it would leave at the posts. Collinite has a leather cleaner/wax so I tried it. I have been using it for a few years now and reapply as needed 3-6 Months to clean my oily grease so the problem does not reappear. I use a microfiber or yellow sponge applicator to apply. The wheel is as close to new as it is going to get without pulling it and recovering but the leather is soft and back to black again.

Dave

derass
01-20-2018, 03:53 PM
I've cleaned a couple of greasy / sticky steering wheels using a light APC dilution (I use OPC at 3:1) on a microfiber cloth. Wipe down a second microfiber damp with water to neutralize the APC. Then follow up with some kind of interior protectant (I use 303 AP). Maybe that last step is optional, you don't want a slippery steering wheel. I make sure to buff off the excess 303, and it hasn't been a problem for me.

davidc
01-20-2018, 04:20 PM
I've cleaned a couple of greasy / sticky steering wheels using a light APC dilution (I use OPC at 3:1) on a microfiber cloth. Wipe down a second microfiber damp with water to neutralize the APC. Then follow up with some kind of interior protectant (I use 303 AP). Maybe that last step is optional, you don't want a slippery steering wheel. I make sure to buff off the excess 303, and it hasn't been a problem for me.

I believe it's not so much the cleaning but the clear coating deteriorating. That is where the Collinite comes into the game as it helps to condition both parts. I know Collinite states to not use on unsealed leather but my coating was completely gone in about a 6 inch section and starting to deteriate. The 885 actually nourished that part and stopped the problem. That was quite a few years ago and the wheel is still doing well.

Dave

WAXOFF
01-20-2018, 08:05 PM
I use my Tornador with Megs 101 APC and then a small brush to loosen ground in filth.

cheekyage
01-21-2018, 05:30 AM
Thanks guys.

I’ve tried using APC which is cleaning the steering wheel but not removing the marks and stains.

I thought maybe there is a product that can help at least cover this up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
01-21-2018, 06:47 AM
Thanks guys.

I’ve tried using APC which is cleaning the steering wheel but not removing the marks and stains.

I thought maybe there is a product that can help at least cover this up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is... This is what you’re looking for.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180121/793d5f284896fdd47df8454e141d9a37.jpg

https://www.autogeek.net/sm-dove-gray-refinisher.html

I know a fellow detailer who 2 toned the interior door panels in his Chrysler with this kind of stuff [different brand but it’s basically the same] and it turned out looking factory fresh.

They’ve got several colors to choose from in case that’s not the correct shade.

Coach Steve
01-21-2018, 08:57 AM
Steering wheels are the only part of the job that make me want to vomit sometimes. The amount of filth, germs, who-knows-what that comes off of them is vile! I NEVER clean a steering wheel without gloves on because that's the one place that makes me a firm believer in the adage, "If it's on you, it's in you!"

Klasse Act
01-21-2018, 10:57 AM
Well for dirty steering wheels I always reach for the single product I've been buying here in the almost 7 years of being here and its Optimum Power Clean or "Alien Kleen" because it truely cleans out of this world!

Now as far as conditioning a leather steering wheel I use 303 3 in 1 leather or Griot's leather conditioner, period!

WAXOFF
01-21-2018, 02:04 PM
Steering wheels are the only part of the job that make me want to vomit sometimes. The amount of filth, germs, who-knows-what that comes off of them is vile! I NEVER clean a steering wheel without gloves on because that's the one place that makes me a firm believer in the adage, "If it's on you, it's in you!"

I wear gloves on the whole job. Especially the interior. You never know what you are encountering.

Belair
01-21-2018, 10:10 PM
I've been using the Leather Masters kit, cleaner then protectant, with good results. Hard to keep the wheel clean though, even with protectant. Been thinking of getting leather driving gloves but a 70ish year old guy in an Avalon would probably look like the Red Baron flying a bi-plane, not like my icon picture of a lambo with a French fighter jet trying to keep up.

mrq0604
01-27-2018, 12:42 PM
I'm not a pro detailer, but leather dye on OP's steering is stripped off. It happened to one of my cars when I cleaned the steering wheel with a steam cleaner (apparently sharp edges on the cleaner scratched the steering wheel despite a couple of layers of towels) I tried many things - steam clean (again!), APC, Lysol, different leather cleaners, etc., but they didn't do anything to improve the condition of the wheel. I think it got better over the couple of years as the colors on the stripped portions faded.

Eldorado2k
01-30-2018, 12:40 AM
It’s too bad, I don’t think OP came back to see all the replies...

RBATTLE10
05-14-2018, 09:02 AM
Is this what your steering wheel looks like?

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)