PDA

View Full Version : Touchless wash in freezing weather

Pages : [1] 2

frankprozzoly
01-18-2018, 08:32 AM
I'm concerned about running the car through a touchless in this cold weather. It drys the car fairly well but obviously doesn't get underneath. Am i just being paranoid

Sent from my SM-G900P using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Klasse Act
01-18-2018, 08:37 AM
Most touch frees have underbody washing[emoji118]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Desertnate
01-18-2018, 08:37 AM
No you're not. I won't run my car through a touchless wash unless the temps are above freezing. High pressure sprayed water gets into all sorts of places I don't want it to freeze and cause problems.

Two weeks ago I traveled for work and the rental car place had just washed the car they gave me. All of the doors and the trunk were frozen shut because water got around the seals and turned to ice. The wipers were frozen to the windshield and the external mirrors were covered in ice as well. It was a big mess the caused niggling problems for the entire time I had the car.

frankprozzoly
01-18-2018, 09:08 AM
Most touch frees have underbody washing[emoji118]

This is what I'm mostly concerned about freezing.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Hammer77
01-18-2018, 10:50 AM
FWIW, I've been using touchless washes with the under carriage option for many winters here in Michigan and I never had a problem.

machz
01-18-2018, 01:01 PM
When the temps drop well below freezing here in NH I stop bucket washing and use touch free as I have for years and have never had a problem. I just open the doors/trunk a little while after the wash to be sure they don't freeze.

hmardown
01-18-2018, 04:26 PM
Frank
I just did mine last week when it was 5* out. after I pulled out I opened the doors & made sure the saddle & rubber gaskets were dry. it was pretty much dry from the blower but I used a towel & gave just the door jams a once over. the only ice that remained was on the wheel covers. we also do my wife's car with no problems. the only thing I'd be worried about is opening the doors next morning. I say do it. it won't look detailed but you'll knock off a lot of that slush & salt. if you've got a garage you can do a rinse less wash also. good luck.
hmardown

TTQ B4U
01-18-2018, 04:51 PM
In line for my basic touchless wash with drying nowhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180118/acd62de625a2c602e7c6a315d3985ffb.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

LEDetailing
01-18-2018, 05:03 PM
In line for my basic touchless wash with drying nowhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180118/acd62de625a2c602e7c6a315d3985ffb.jpg

One of our two touchless washes has a Laserwash brand machine. Your wash looks about 15-20 years newer. I especially like those three jets that accompany the underbody flush. That would help clean off the rocker panels. Ours is missing the three jets

Calendyr
01-18-2018, 05:13 PM
Ya door and trunk seals are the major issues when washing the car in winter. If you decide to do it, make sure to have a towel ready to wipe the seals dry afterwards. Also you can apply silicone protectant to the rubber seals to prevent them from sticking to the pannels. Something like Meguiar's All Season dressing should work well.

Klasse Act
01-18-2018, 05:15 PM
303 makes a great product for rubber seals!

TTQ B4U
01-18-2018, 05:44 PM
One of our two touchless washes has a Laserwash brand machine. Your wash looks about 15-20 years newer. I especially like those three jets that accompany the underbody flush. That would help clean off the rocker panels. Ours is missing the three jets

Look closely at the Jets on the floor as they spray upwards in the angle from each side too

Nickfire20
01-18-2018, 07:33 PM
Its my understanding that touch free places use high ph soaps that strip your protection. I have, but will never again use one.

I use the pay and spray in the winter, either take my buckets with me, or just use the high pressure rinse, never any soap or wax settings. Then come home and do a rinsless or waterless, depending upon whats leftover.

luvmyrv
01-18-2018, 07:48 PM
Most self serve wand washes around me would kick you out and tell you to never return if you pulled out a couple buckets and proceeded to bucket wash while in their bays.

LEDetailing
01-18-2018, 07:50 PM
Its my understanding that touch free places use high ph soaps that strip your protection. I have, but will never again use one.

I use the pay and spray in the winter, either take my buckets with me, or just use the high pressure rinse, never any soap or wax settings. Then come home and do a rinsless or waterless, depending upon whats leftover.

About 4 washes through the touchless and my LSP (Fusso Coat) is still holding strong. Some washes probably do use stronger soaps. Mine is so weak it doesn’t even get off all the dirt streaks.

I like your method the best. Our coin-op wash has been closed two years now. Otherwise I would use that with my own wash buckets.