PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove cured resin from paint

itsgn
01-17-2018, 01:04 PM
Hi Everybody!

What's the best way to remove natural resin (fallen off from trees) that's been curing for months, from paint?

So far I've tried the following:
1. Car shampoo - had no effect at all
2. All-purpose cleaner - dulled/fogged up the resin, but did not remove it
3. Highly concentrated IPA - removed the faintest and thinnest resin spots, but no visible diminishing effect on the bigger drops, even if left dwelling for a while
4. Heavy cutting compound with foam pad and machine polisher - negligible diminishing effect

The only obvious thing I've not tried yet was tar remover, because I didn't have any with me - but I'm wary of that, because after all, resin is a polymer, not an oil residue.

So, what else do you think could work, that would not damage the paint/clear coat at the same time, and would not require extensive scrubbing (which again, probably would damage the paint)?

Please don't tell me only acetone can (or even that can't) remove it!

Thanks.

mk9750
01-17-2018, 01:18 PM
I am decidedly not a professional, so look for others to weigh in. But given your circumstances, I think I'd go more mechanical than chemical. I'd try a heat source like a hair dryer with a plastic razor blade.

I can see the possibility you may have to compound / polish afterward, but it looks like other solutions have failed, and you sound like getting this done is important to you, so it seems that polishing doesn't sound like it would stand in your way.

Good luck.

itsgn
01-17-2018, 01:52 PM
I've thought of that, too - and also incorporated it in my original post, but then later decided to remove it. My problem is that I think the resin is chemically bound to the paint, so I won't be able to remove it with a plastic razor blade - like separate the two from each other. So, the only thing I could do is scrub the resin with the blade to abrade it, but that also would inflict serious damage to the paint - especially, because the plastic blade is a lot, lot wider, than the resin spots I have (which are half an inch in diameter, at most).

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

FUNX650
01-17-2018, 05:26 PM
•Since most tree sap/resin is terpene-based;
and, being that the resin on your vehicle has
been curing for awhile...

I’d approach its removal by cautious use of:
-Turpentine
-Tar Remover (example: Stoner’s Tarminator)

Note:
•Once the contaminate has been removed,
don’t be surprised to find that the CC
has been compromised to some extent.
-Things that comes to mind: etching;
cratering; “down-to-the-metal”; etc.

Bob

SWETM
01-17-2018, 07:41 PM
I would recommend this to get it to desolve the tree sap. And maybe get the 3m clay also to use on the whole car. You will be getting to compound or polish after. If this doesnt get it you have had it etched in the clearcoat or it has discolored it. Maybe wet sanding can fix it if it has gone so far but I think a repaint is necessary.

https://www.autogeek.net/3m-adhesive-cleaner.html

If it doesnt desolves the first time keep applying it multible times.

minerigger
01-17-2018, 11:37 PM
I used acetone straight on a microfiber. Few drops light pressure and then had soapy water on hand to rinse directly after

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AutowerxDetailing
01-18-2018, 12:34 AM
Denatured alcohol has worked the best for me in pretty much all occasions when dealing with dried, baked-on tree sap.

Saturate a soft microfiber towel with denatured alcohol and cover the areas contaminated with sap. Leave it to dwell for 20-30 seconds, then rub gently to remove the softened sap. Do not reuse this portion of the towel because as the alcohol evaporates the tree sap will again crystallize. After you've cleaned a few spots of tree sap the towel will likely need to be tossed as it will be too dangerous to use on any automotive surface in the future.