PDA

View Full Version : Leather Protector/Sealant

cgraz1187
01-16-2018, 03:04 PM
I just purchased a 2018 Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn, with light leather interior. I understand most auto leathers are vinyl coated, but the longhorn seats are not the are a true leather seat. I am looking for a product to prevent staining the light beige leather seats, dye transfers, water mud etc. I have only found a few products such as cquartz leather, and migliore leather armor, both with mixed reviews on Amazon. I figure there has to be something better out there I can use before I ruin these new seats. Any suggestions?

Bruno Soares
01-16-2018, 03:51 PM
If you don't want to apply a coating then maybe this will help: https://www.autogeek.net/mckees-leather-guard.html

dennis hiip
01-16-2018, 04:48 PM
Do not buy CG Sprayable Leather. Slippery, shiny, and squeaky. Worst stuff ever.

BMW435
01-16-2018, 10:23 PM
Haven't used it yet but recently purchased Leather Master Leather Protection Cream based on positive reviews and recommendations on the forum.

Sent from my iPad using AGOnline

SWETM
01-17-2018, 08:30 AM
I know many likes Ultima Interior guard on leather. It's more like a sealant and can be used to almost every places on the interior. I have only started to use it and dont have leather. I have the old version of it but think the new water based is as good.

Skickat från min G8141 via Tapatalk

Desertnate
01-17-2018, 09:04 AM
For routine maintenance use, I like McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant and then use McKee's 37 All In One Leather Lotion 3~4 times a year to keep the leather healthy.

jdne5b
01-17-2018, 09:27 AM
I just treated my 10yo light gray leather with the Mckees Shampoo 70/30 and Leatherguard UV50. So far its great. Really cleaned it well, and even in the frigid temps, it softened up quite a bit.

cgraz1187
01-17-2018, 10:18 AM
Thanks for all the replies... I ordered some Mckees UV50, hopefully that works with regular application. I am also going to order some Ultima Interior Guard, will this work on the light colored door and kick panels that seem to mark so easily from my clumsy boots? I love the leather in the new longhorn, it is soft and looks great, but I actually miss the treated/coated leather in my LTZ for durability.

RippyD
01-17-2018, 11:03 AM
This is a highly debated topic. Some people will tell you that 99% of leather in cars manufactured in a way that the surface of it is practically vinyl. If this is correct (and I believe it is), leather care products would have little effect. Some pro detailers recommend keeping it clean as the most important factor to keep it looking good and wearing well. You can research this.

After reading and trying too many products this is my conclusion as well. My opinion is based on little experience and no actual knowledge, so... My other conclusion is that most of the recommendations for leather care products are from people selling those products, or from people justifying their purchase. (Choice-supportive bias - we all do this to one extent or another.)

Last summer I tried 8 different products on the tan leather rear bench seat of my 4x4. I taped off areas and applied them all per directions. One of them took over 24 hours as various steps had to cure. When done, some were shinier than others. Some maybe felt different. Those differences seemed to disappear when I closed my eyes and had to use my fingers only. A week later I asked the wife which looked better and felt better. Small differences in appearance for a couple. No difference in how the seats felt to her.

The car is heavily used with teenagers in and out of it, and a 5 year old. It needs frequent cleaning. After being wiped down a couple of times with a damp towel I could not tell any difference at all. So what does this mean?

My guess is that all the products I use just dried on top of the vinyl-like surface of the leather and was removed when I cleaned the seats. But again, I don't really know.

cgraz1187
01-17-2018, 11:10 AM
This is a highly debated topic. Some people will tell you that 99% of leather in cars manufactured in a way that the surface of it is practically vinyl. If this is correct (and I believe it is), leather care products would have little effect. Some pro detailers recommend keeping it clean as the most important factor to keep it looking good and wearing well. You can research this.

After reading and trying too many products this is my conclusion as well. My opinion is based on little experience and no actual knowledge, so... My other conclusion is that most of the recommendations for leather care products are from people selling those products, or from people justifying their purchase. (Choice-supportive bias - we all do this to one extent or another.)

Last summer I tried 8 different products on the tan leather rear bench seat of my 4x4. I taped off areas and applied them all per directions. One of them took over 24 hours as various steps had to cure. When done, some were shinier than others. Some maybe felt different. Those differences seemed to disappear when I closed my eyes and had to use my fingers only. A week later I asked the wife which looked better and felt better. Small differences in appearance for a couple. No difference in how the seats felt to her.

The car is heavily used with teenagers in and out of it, and a 5 year old. It needs frequent cleaning. After being wiped down a couple of times with a damp towel I could not tell any difference at all. So what does this mean?

My guess is that all the products I use just dried on top of the vinyl-like surface of the leather and was removed when I cleaned the seats. But again, I don't really know.

This is my problem, I am aware of the vinyl coated/finished leather in most vehicles, my 17 Silverado had this type of leather, but the longhorn/limited ram actually has real raw/grain leather, the same as the ford king ranch seats. Most auto leather protectants/care on the market seem formulated for the common vinyl coated leather seats, so I am weary of using them on this type of leather.

FUNX650
01-17-2018, 08:03 PM
I just purchased a 2018 Dodge Ram Laramie
Longhorn, with light leather interior.

Any suggestions?

For protection—and since it’s a light color;
I’d go with either:
• https://www.autogeek.net/leather-master-barrier.html
Or:
• Leather Master “Stay Bright” Kit
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/E30DBF5E-BCE0-44FF-8FD3-842F10285C61.jpeg

I am aware of the vinyl coated/finished leather
in most vehicles...

but the longhorn/limited ram
actually has real raw/grain leather,

the same as the ford king ranch seats.

Notes:
•Because of the difficulty to maintain/restore the
Aniline (Unfinished) Leather they installed in their
King Ranch trucks...I believe Ford changed to us-
ing leather that is somewhat more of a “Coated”
“Protected" aniline leather (semi-aniline, per se)
starting with their 2013- ‘til present day MYs.

•And now:
FCA is using Aniline/Unprotected leather
in its trucks?!?! (smh)

Bob

SWETM
01-18-2018, 04:41 AM
I thought it was a clearcoated leather. If the leather is natuaral I would use a dedicated leather product that condition and moisture the leather instead of Ultima Interior Guard. Ultima Interior Guard can be used on the leather also but is more as a sealant that lays on top but dries to a no greasy touch. So use it on the other parts of the interior that is not raw leather instead. It will leave you a satin kind of feel when applyied. To carpet fabric spray it on directly and to other parts to the applicator and apply. Just have in mind that a little goes a long way with Ultima products and if you feel it's streaking you use to much and lightly wipe of the excess if happens. If you apply it to the dashboard for example a 2-3 spray on the applicator to prime it and start apply it if you see it needs more just 1 spray is needed. It's a wipe on walk away product.