PDA

View Full Version : probably asked a 100 times

lxexpress
01-14-2018, 05:49 PM
HI everyone, i presently use a porter cable for my buffing chores,i dont do this as a full time gig, but i do it part time for friends and family( maybe 20-30 a year). I have been thinking about upgrading the unit to something faster and better. I have been looking at a lot of choices the Flex,Rupes etc. Is there an easy transition buffer to buy?? I would especially like to hear from the guys that have already transitioned to a better unit. Thanks in advance!

VISITOR
01-14-2018, 05:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em3wePHNE3I

FUNX650
01-14-2018, 06:14 PM
I presently use a porter cable
for my buffing chores...

I have been thinking about upgrading
the unit to something faster and better.

I have been looking at a lot of
choices the Flex,Rupes etc.

Hopefully the below posting
will be of assistance.

•”With the introduction of so many
THIN pads the Porter Cable
is a very capable tool.

I know some guys will disagree as
compared to tools like the Griot's
Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher
it's a tick on the weaker side

•but still,
-with the right pads, great abrasive
technology and good technique you
can work miracles with the PC.

•Because you already have a free spinning
orbital polisher I'd recommend getting a
gear-driven orbital polisher.

-You now have three choices,”

FLEX 3401
RUPES Mille
Makita PO500C

Bob

lxexpress
01-14-2018, 06:23 PM
Hopefully the below posting
will be of assistance.

Bob

they all look like good units,i just didnt know if one was super easy to use or there was a huge learning curve to them

rlmccarty2000
01-14-2018, 07:49 PM
I went from the PC to Rupes a long time ago and didn’t have much of a learning curve. I would suggest buying Mike’s book on the Rupes system to cover everything you need to know.

Bill1234
01-14-2018, 09:01 PM
Alot of people jump to the griots as its about 100 dollars, has the most power of smaller throw das and a lifetime warranty. The rupes and flex are great machines, just well, pricey

dlc95
01-14-2018, 09:12 PM
I have "better units", and still love using one of my 1st generation Porter Cable 7424 tools. Paired with microfiber pads, it's capable of some really heavy cutting.

I've had a Flex 3401, sold it, and have another one coming this Wednesday, A Makita 9237c rotary, a Rupes 21, two Rupes Duetto, and two Rupes Mini.

And even out of all those I still enjoy that 7424 for most applications. Give me a set of Lake Country Hydrotech foam, and Cutting Microfiber pads, and I'm all set.

The Rupes Duetto and Mini is what I use on more high end vehicles. I use their pads and compounds with it too. This is probably my favorite above all other systems I have.