PDA

View Full Version : Rupes MarkII

joleyred
01-12-2018, 03:58 PM
I presently have a Flex 3401 and Flex PE8 rotary. I just polished my full size ,crew cab dually and put a paint coating on it. I fully understand what guys are talking about when they say the 3401 beats them up. I didn't do that entire truck in one session, but that is a lot of real estate and I knew it when I was done. Fantastic results, but--- wow. Would the Rupes 15 or 21 be noticeably less tiring? I have a hard time justifying another $500 , but I need to work on my 5th Wheel, which is the size of a battleship. Kinda dreading that. Any input geekers?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Ronin47
01-12-2018, 04:04 PM
The Mille is more forgiving than the 3401 however the 15 or 21 will be the least taxing on ones body. A long throw is a must have. I would encourage anyone to own atleast one Rupes to experience what the fuss is all about.

joleyred
01-12-2018, 05:16 PM
That is pretty much exactly my thought. I hate to be stuck in a corner. That is going to have to be ordered this spring. I really am anxious to try one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

hmardown
01-12-2018, 06:41 PM
that was my one deciding factor on which machine to buy. at 68 yrs. of age I wanted to enjoy what I was doing.
hmardown

DaveT435
01-12-2018, 08:32 PM
I would get the 21. A lot of flat real estate. It won't be nearly as as hard on you as the 3401. Just let the machine do the work.

JHL88
01-12-2018, 10:46 PM
Dude i know exactly what you mean. I had a hard time finishing my CC 1/2 ton with my 3401. And you were doing a dually? smh. I can't imagine.

joleyred
01-13-2018, 04:46 AM
Yea, it's a lot of area. I just have to break it into sessions of 4-6 hours and get away from it for a few hours. I enjoy doing it, I just don't want it to turn into a job that is no longer fun.

BubbaG
01-13-2018, 08:19 AM
I have the same setup and I do love my FLEX machines, but I have always questioned the capabilities of a long throw Rupes for saving time.

B5visser
01-13-2018, 09:13 AM
Painted real estate = long throw (21mm sounds perfect in your case)

Curvy panels- I still reach for my 3401 even though my 15mm XFE and proper technique can keep the pad spinning just fine.

Echoing what everybody else has said, the long throw tools provide a great user experience and noticeably less fatigue than the 3401. On a comfort only level, I reach for my XFE-7 first because of its quiet, easy to use, less vibration and little heat build up (compared to 3401). Its a "more refined" tool all around, and I know RUPES tools are stupid smooth as well!

Good luck

joleyred
01-13-2018, 10:14 AM
All good points,B5. Thanks.

Chase.Barnett
01-13-2018, 10:39 AM
In that last two weeks, I have purchased both a 15 Mk II and a 3401. Granted, my experience with both of them has been limited but I have no problem saying that they're two different animals. The Rupes is so incredibly refined and smooth, it's just a total joy to use. The Flex on the other hand is a beast that will probably cut through anything that you throw at it with the proper pad. After a few hours of usage, I was tired and my arms were getting sore but man oh man does it have some cojones.

I am doing a full correction in the next few weeks on a highly neglected 06 Ford Focus. The car belongs to my Fiance's Grandmother and it has sat outside it's entire life and only sees two or three automatic washes a year. I will be making an initial attack with the 3401 and once I cut through all the oxidation, I'll be making a 2nd pass with the Rupes to polish and finish it out.

BudgetPlan1
01-13-2018, 11:58 AM
In that last two weeks, I have purchased both a 15 Mk II and a 3401. Granted, my experience with both of them has been limited but I have no problem saying that they're two different animals. The Rupes is so incredibly refined and smooth, it's just a total joy to use. The Flex on the other hand is a beast that will probably cut through anything that you throw at it with the proper pad. After a few hours of usage, I was tired and my arms were getting sore but man oh man does it have some cojones.

I am doing a full correction in the next few weeks on a highly neglected 06 Ford Focus. The car belongs to my Fiance's Grandmother and it has sat outside it's entire life and only sees two or three automatic washes a year. I will be making an initial attack with the 3401 and once I cut through all the oxidation, I'll be making a 2nd pass with the Rupes to polish and finish it out.It's a nice combo, the 3401 and Rupes 15. Flex with M101 on gray Force Hybrid pad can do some serious heavy lifting quickly and much easier than something like M105. I prefer SMAT products with Flec cuz I don't wanna be wrestling around any more than necessary working thru a DAT cycle with the Flex, especially when using the 6.5" Pads.

Then enjoy the smooth refinement with the Rupes. Great combo.