PDA

View Full Version : Paint Protection

Pages : [1] 2

MikadoWu
01-12-2018, 07:37 AM
Hello All,

I have been a NOVICE IMO car care guy for a long time. About 10 years ago I moved from the West Coast to Florida. A couple years ago, I learned that how I took care of my paint in Cali, does not work in Florida. I 20+ years of car ownership in Cali/Colorado, never had I had to have a car painted, Now in Florida, I have had 3 in 10 years. paint care is a whole different world.

We have 5 cars/trucks, that are Daily Drivers and live outside. I want them to Look good, but also be protected. From what I am reading, I need to but on a sealant, then layer a Poly Wax on top of that. 3 of my 5 cars are 2001's Firebirds/Trans Am, the paint still looks good, but was suggested not to use a ceramics, because there is some damage. Ceramic, after a painted is what I was told.
I had picked up a Griot's Starters Kits year, with the 6" orbital, as I ws told you really can not screw up with their stuff. Now I am ready to get a little more serious.

My questions are,

1. Are Professional Products THAT much better?
2. Sealants seem to last around a year, can you extended that if you are applying a Poly Wax every month or 2?
3. Are these cure for 2-3 days Sealants really worth it?

Any other suggestions for surviving the Florida Climate is appreciated.

ChrisT
01-12-2018, 10:38 AM
Living in southern Florida I’ve been very happy with Wolfgang Deep Gloss sealant. It also has just a 12 hour cure time. I apply it twice a year, before and after the summer months.

UV damage can be a sob down here without dedicated care. Severe oxidation and clear coat failure is evident everywhere on cars that are ignored.

davidc
01-12-2018, 10:39 AM
Optimum Car Wax. Protection, spray and easy to use without all the Chemistry. Optimum Wash and Wax Rinseless for washes.

Dave

MikadoWu
01-12-2018, 12:17 PM
Living in southern Florida I’ve been very happy with Wolfgang Deep Gloss sealant. It also has just a 12 hour cure time. I apply it twice a year, before and after the summer months.

UV damage can be a sob down here without dedicated care. Severe oxidation and clear coat failure is evident everywhere on cars that are ignored.

You really like the Wolfgang stuff that much? It really only last 6 months? Do you layer any other products on it, or just reapply it?

MikadoWu
01-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Optimum Car Wax. Protection, spray and easy to use without all the Chemistry. Optimum Wash and Wax Rinseless for washes.

Dave

Hi Dave, you method worked fine out west. Have you really tried it down south, it is a whole different world in car care.

MattPersman
01-12-2018, 12:38 PM
Thinking a sealant Is going to last a year outside 24/7 in Florida is probably where the repaints are coming from. No offense but I don’t think any sealant will hold up with good protection for 12 months outside in any state.

I would do 4 times a year and optimum car wax as maintenance in between just my opinion though. I’m sure you will get others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidc
01-12-2018, 12:45 PM
Hi Dave, you method worked fine out west. Have you really tried it down south, it is a whole different world in car care.

Only difference I see is you have humidity and I have 115+. UV may be about the same. You most likely have the rain tho.

Dave

MikadoWu
01-12-2018, 12:59 PM
Thinking a sealant Is going to last a year outside 24/7 in Florida is probably where the repaints are coming from. No offense but I don’t think any sealant will hold up with good protection for 12 months outside in any state.

I would do 4 times a year and optimum car wax as maintenance in between just my opinion though. I’m sure you will get others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No offense taken, Why I am asking the question. How would you reapply the Sealant with the optimum car wax being on the car?

ChrisT
01-12-2018, 01:09 PM
You really like the Wolfgang stuff that much? It really only last 6 months? Do you layer any other products on it, or just reapply it?

I like that product a lot.

I have no idea how long it really lasts, I just don’t take any chances. I have covered it with Collonite 845. I also treat my personal vehicle with a CarPro quick detailer mix about once a week or two. When reapplying I do an ISP wipedown first.

Maybe my approach is over-kill but my paint is perfect.

ChrisT
01-12-2018, 01:12 PM
Only difference I see is you have humidity and I have 115+. UV may be about the same. You most likely have the rain tho.

Dave

Almost daily rain and thunderstorms during the summer which is 5 months, give or take.

MikadoWu
01-12-2018, 01:17 PM
Almost daily rain and thunderstorms during the summer which is 5 months, give or take.

Need to add all the extreme pollen, EXTREME Love Bugs, and Bugs in general.

MikadoWu
01-12-2018, 01:18 PM
I like that product a lot.

I have no idea how long it really lasts, I just don’t take any chances. I have covered it with Collonite 845. I also treat my personal vehicle with a CarPro quick detailer mix about once a week or two. When reapplying I do an ISP wipedown first.

Maybe my approach is over-kill but my paint is perfect.

Does the ISP remove the Sealant or just the wax?

ChrisT
01-12-2018, 01:21 PM
Need to add all the extreme pollen, EXTREME Love Bugs, and Bugs in general.

Luckily no love bugs this far south. Thank God.

ChrisT
01-12-2018, 01:22 PM
Does the ISP remove the Sealant or just the wax?

Beats me. But then I’m reapplying the sealant at that time anyway. Again, I take no chances.

davidc
01-12-2018, 01:23 PM

No matter what you use as a LSP I would consider Optimum's Car Wax as an essential part of your upkeep. I was in the Tampa area quite a few years ago ( Talking early 70's ) and I would swear the storms were registered with the FAA. That is one miserable place when the rain ends and the Sun comes out. The Humidity level goes off the scale.

Dave