PDA

View Full Version : Beat Sealant for black / dark paint

Pages : [1] 2

01AUDI
01-09-2018, 08:41 PM
I saw the post on "best wax" but what about actual sealants?
Let's hear what you think about dark paint sealants..

Kamakaz1961
01-09-2018, 08:54 PM
Any Good Quality Sealant will be fine. Blackfire, Menzerna, Pinnacle, Polish Angel and many others. They will make any color on any ride look good If prepped right!

brettS4
01-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Yep. I never saw much difference in sealants on my brilliant black A4. But I was very picky about waxes.

Kamakaz1961
01-09-2018, 09:58 PM
Yep. I never saw much difference in sealants on my brilliant black A4. But I was very picky about waxes.

Agreed! I tried quite a few waxes from cheap to very expensive and I have narrowed my waxes to about 4 or 5 for my Black Mustang GT. IMO, there is nothing that can beat a good quality wax on a Black ride...that includes coatings and sealants. Again, that is my opinion. I coated my ride and eventually went back to a wax as I felt the wax just had more depth and a wet look than a coating or sealant. Additionally, I detail my ride quite often and no need for a coating. I will top off a wax over a sealant on occasion.

Desertnate
01-10-2018, 08:59 AM

I'd almost go as far to say I can't really tell the difference between the sealant and coatings I've used. 845 and McKee's 37 look nearly the same on well prepped black metallic paint.

01AUDI
01-10-2018, 09:56 AM
For yall with dark / black paint.. are you saying that the you cant tell a difference in the sealant because you generally apply wax over top anyway.. or are you saying that even if you applied just a sealant that you still cant tell much difference ?

Desertnate
01-10-2018, 10:01 AM
I'm saying by having a well prepped/polished surface before the application of an LSP, the differences between a wax, sealant, or coating are subtle and very subjective.

On any dark paint, having well polished paint is where all the big gains in appearance are made.

01AUDI
01-10-2018, 10:15 AM
Ahh i get you now. I should have titled this "Best Polish for dark / black paint "

Desertnate
01-10-2018, 11:25 AM
Polish and pad combinations should be matched to the type of paint (i.e. hard or soft), not the color. Only test spots will really show what is needed to get the results you're after. Mike Phillips has some great articles here on the subject of test spots.

DBAILEY
01-10-2018, 11:38 AM
The Pinnacle BL Paint Sealant and Polished Angel Master Sealant are 2 of the better looking sealants I have used on black cars.

01AUDI
01-10-2018, 11:41 AM
what about AIO, do they generally "polish" as well ?

FUNX650
01-10-2018, 11:45 AM
For yall with dark/black paint..

are you saying that the you cant tell a
difference in the sealant because you
generally apply wax over top anyway..

or are you saying that even if you
applied just a sealant that you still
cant tell much difference ?
Being curious by nature:
Are you talking about black/dark
Single-Stage (SS) paint-systems;
or: black/dark Base Coat/Clear Coat
(BC/CC) paint-systems?

Bob

Desertnate
01-10-2018, 11:50 AM
what about AIO, do they generally "polish" as well ?

It depends on the AIO and the hardness of the paint.

The durability of the AIO's vary widely as well. I've used an older Meguiars product and the Griots One Step Sealant. I really liked the Griots from a looks and correction standpoint on soft paints like Toyota and Genesis, but the durability was only about 6~8 weeks.

Other members here seem to like HD Speed, McKee's 37 360, and Meguiars 166(?).

brettS4
01-10-2018, 12:03 PM
For yall with dark / black paint.. are you saying that the you cant tell a difference in the sealant because you generally apply wax over top anyway.. or are you saying that even if you applied just a sealant that you still cant tell much difference ?

I could tell a difference between sealant alone and sealant with a wax topper. The sealant is almost always very shiny. The sealant topped with wax (depending on what brand of wax) would usually have a much deeper look. Best results were with wax alone, I think. But it's all very subjective depending on what look you prefer.

But when just applying sealant alone, I never saw much difference between different brands. And that's probably when the polishing prep work is most evident. More so than when a wax is applied.

01AUDI
01-10-2018, 12:21 PM
Bob, I was talking about base/clear coat paint.