PDA

View Full Version : When to replace Microfiber Pads?

boradori007
01-09-2018, 03:49 PM
I noticed that my Griots Fast Cutting Microfiber pads were covered in these small tiny white dots.

https://i.imgur.com/3Vueyon.jpg

I've tried to clean them twice and its not going anywhere.

So I wanted to ask, is it still safe to use these pads? Also, when do you determine to throw away your pads and get a new one?

LEDetailing
01-09-2018, 06:44 PM
My Griots MF pads had very similar deposits. You have to really brush the fibers to remove all the polish/paint residue. And then rinse and rinse some more. I also spin my at 3000 rpm’s on a rotary to remove as much water as possible. I was able to remove my white deposits. Try washing them again. Best of luck!

mwoywod
01-09-2018, 07:40 PM
Out of curiosity, did you last use them with either Menzerna FG400, SHC300 or M101? The reason I ask is because anytime I use any of those 3 compounds with a foamed wool/hybrid wool pad and I wait a few days before washing them they end up looking just like that and no pad cleaner will remove it.

I still use my hybrid wool pads on rotary but I've designated them for rough jobs. I personally haven't noticed any negative effects. The best thing you can do is put them on your polisher and blow them out with compressed air and test them. Since I've had this problem as well I'm really interested in hearing what compound you last used with that microfiber pad and how long you waited after polishing to wash them. I haven't had it happen again as long as I clean them and rinse them before the spent compound is allowed to dry.