PDA

View Full Version : What about old paint?

Mudd_Slinger92
01-25-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm hoping some of you guys/girls could possibly help me out with some cosmestic issues that bother me about my truck. It's a 92 and its been outdoors all its life, 4x4 and I drag it through the woods alot. But about a year ago I was rear-ended and the body shop had to replace my whole quarter panel and repaint it with FRESH black paint. So i'm sure you guys know how that looks. Like a pink shirt on a white field.

Well, being that it's a 92 and the paint is old, I am a bit worried their isnt enough paint to wet-sand it? And I dont know if I should try to wash it with some car soap. I've always used some Wal-Mart *excuse the spelling* Mcquries? soap. But I joined the forum to learn about some detailing products. But to the topic, I was wondering if I should buy some Mcquries wax and wax it again except for that quarter panel, or if there is something I could physically do the paint that could PRETTY much stay permanent.

I really hope that made sence, thanks. EDIT: I do not want to re-paint it, I was going to do it myself but since it tends to get pretty scratched up in the woods/mud I dont see the sence.

But that doesnt mean I cant have a NICE lookin' truck. If i figure out how to post pics I will??

I discovered the Avatar, thats the side with new paint but you can hardly tell on that picture, its worse in life.

sparkie
01-26-2008, 07:34 AM
I guess you are talking about a cleaner wax. That will make it look better, but it really needs polishes to get the oxidations and swirls out.

Mudd_Slinger92
01-26-2008, 10:38 AM
I've got a buffer, its the big circle one's...not really sure of the proper name sorry. I've always waxed it with hand, you think wet-sanding, and then waxing with a speed buffer would be a bad idea? Hence the paint is as old as it is, and it's been outside it's whole life.

Daniel Kinder
01-26-2008, 10:38 AM
hey mudd- slinger
how are you applying your products? hand/pc/rotary.
you can blend/match the old paint in with the new, with the right technique and combo of products.
I've had to do the same thing on a 94 black ranger with single stage paint,with great results.
I first used meguiars #83 cleaner/polish applying 3coats followed by 2 coats of#80 speed glaze and last sealed it with #26 paste wax
at the time of this detail I was using a cheap 6'' and 10'' orbital buffer. a foam pad for applying the#83 with the 10'' orbital and micro fiber for the 6'' applying the #80. hope that helped

Mudd_Slinger92
01-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Stang, I've always washed the whole thing first with some car soap and a brush. Then hose it off and dry it off. I've used the oribital buffer of my dads once and it didnt a decent job I suppose, but you can still see the new paint like a sore thumb. Like you said, it can be done but I'm reading some of the threads now trying to learn about diffrent products. I've always used Mcquries soap and wax. I usually waxed with by hand, but lately I use the buffer because its so much easier.

But I am trying to learn about some diffrent products. Do you guys have to order all of the stuff, or can I pick it up locally?

Daniel Kinder
01-26-2008, 11:17 AM
hey mudd-slinger
you can go to a auto parts store's and get some scratchx(check to make sure it's the new formula to use with machine)or the deep crystal step 1 paint cleaner then follow up with step 2 polish then a lsp of your choice (but I do love to apply my lsp by hand and with #16 or #26 paste)if you are using a orbital try to get a foam bonnit to apply your cleaning step, and that the terry cloth and micro fiber works best for the polishing and appling the wax.
I've listed the meguiars products because thats what I've been using for years and don't know much about the other products.

The Skillmaster
01-26-2008, 03:26 PM
The way I look at it is that if there is not enough clear coat to wet-sand, then there is not enough clear-coat to do it's job of protecting the paint and therefor, needs to be repainted. I think you should try polishing it first with a medium polish to see how that does and if your not satisfied, you try wet-sanding, compounding and then polishing.

Mudd_Slinger92
01-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Alright, I will have to start looking at some good polishing agents.