PDA

View Full Version : After wash drying technique?

Pages : [1] 2

Ruben12
01-03-2018, 02:41 PM
Hey guys I am looking for some advice on drying my car after washing. Typically I use a leaf blower to dry the majority of it and dry whats left over with a waffle weave. I have had issues with some soap residue that requires me to add slight pressure while drying some areas of my car. Since my car is black I have noticed slight marring from the drying process. I've head about using a quick detailer to help aide in the process.

I'm looking to purchase something along the lines of a quick detailer to help aide in the drying process. What do you guys think? What do you guys use?

Thanks!

fly07sti
01-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Your process sounds ok. What towel are you using and what soap are you using? Yes QD can help with reducing marring IMO.

Cleankat
01-03-2018, 03:24 PM
Blow off water and follow up with a microfiber and some detail spray. Never understood the giant waffle weave fans unless of course you don't have access to a quality blower.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ruben12
01-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Your process sounds ok. What towel are you using and what soap are you using? Yes QD can help with reducing marring IMO.

I am using the chemical guys waffle weave yellow towel. For some reason its lost its softness and feels rough on the paint. I am using Adams soap. What's your personal recommendation on megs quick detailer?

Ruben12
01-03-2018, 04:28 PM
Blow off water and follow up with a microfiber and some detail spray. Never understood the giant waffle weave fans unless of course you don't have access to a quality blower.

I'm looking into getting a microfiber drying towel. What quick detailer do you recommend?

luckydawg
01-03-2018, 04:31 PM
The less things that come in contact with your cars finish- the less chance of marring / beauty marks, thats why I blow off all the water I can.
Using a high quality towel like the geyon silk and a QD where needed is the way to go i believe. Good luck to you.

Ruben12
01-03-2018, 04:38 PM
The less things that come in contact with your cars finish- the less chance of marring / beauty marks, thats why I blow off all the water I can.
Using a high quality towel like the geyon silk and a QD where needed is the way to go i believe. Good luck to you.

What QD do you use? Thanks!

luckydawg
01-03-2018, 04:43 PM
Griots speed shine- I like their products / line and its the least expensive of the two that they offer- but most any will work-- you just need that lube when your drying.

Desertnate
01-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Are you seeing soap residue or are they just water spots?

If you're seeing actual soap residue, rinsing more and earlier will go a long way to help with that. Also you can reduce the amount of soap you're using in the bucket to help it rinse off cleaner. Yet another option would be to change the soap you're using to something better that rinses off easier. I've used some horrible, cheap car shampoo in the past that would rarely rinse off cleanly.

As the owner of a black car, I rarely dry without spraying a little QD on the towel and/or the surface. This not only helps prevent marring, but it also helps to remove any stray water spots that formed after I flood rinse.

Eldorado2k
01-03-2018, 05:01 PM
I'm looking into getting a microfiber drying towel.

You already have a microfiber drying towel. That’s what the waffle weave is made of.

Ruben12
01-03-2018, 05:12 PM
Are you seeing soap residue or are they just water spots?

If you're seeing actual soap residue, rinsing more and earlier will go a long way to help with that. Also you can reduce the amount of soap you're using in the bucket to help it rinse off cleaner. Yet another option would be to change the soap you're using to something better that rinses off easier. I've used some horrible, cheap car shampoo in the past that would rarely rinse off cleanly.

As the owner of a black car, I rarely dry without spraying a little QD on the towel and/or the surface. This not only helps prevent marring, but it also helps to remove any stray water spots that formed after I flood rinse.

I will try that out! What car wash soap do you currently use? Also what QD do you use?

JMak97008
01-03-2018, 05:33 PM
I've just started using a drying aide and I use Griots Speed Shine. I also use Griots PFM towels along with Chemical Guys Grey Matters waffle weave on my black 300C Srt8.

BryanH
01-03-2018, 05:52 PM
As Desertnate alluded to, I'd first look at why you're having to remove soap residue with your drying towel. My first thoughts are either the soap is allowed to dry on the paint in the sun, or a spot was missed while rinsing. I do even my small cars in 2 or sometimes 3 sections depending on how hot it is. Wash top section and rinse, wash middle section and rinse, wash bottom section and rinse the whole car. Something like that.

Then, like you I use a leaf blower to get most of the water off the car and out of the crevices. It's important to have good water beading/sheeting performance for this step to work well. If you do, it'll significantly reduce the paint area that actually needs to be touched by a towel. For this reason I like to use a maintenance wax/sealant that's very easy to apply. I currently use Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax (D156) about once every month or two. This keeps the water flying off the paint every time I wash the car.

Finally, when using a towel to dry the bits of water still on the car, I'm a big fan of the Griots PFM towel. It's plush and absorbs water super well. Before it gets saturated with water I can ever so gently lift water right off the car with almost no pressure. It's pretty cool. :)

If I'm using a drying aid without the leaf blower step, I generally use a quality 70/30 blend microfiber. I save my PFM for 'straight' drying only.

Route246
01-03-2018, 06:27 PM
Definitely continue using the QD. Even better and more slick is probably a spray wax in place of the QD.

Cleankat
01-03-2018, 09:29 PM
I'm looking into getting a microfiber drying towel. What quick detailer do you recommend?There's plenty of good ones available. Some of my favorites are:

McKees 37
CG Speed Wipe
CG Extreme Slick

All are available in gallon sizes and are reasonably priced and don't streak at all.

Or if you prefer something with some extra protection Meguiars D156 is excellent, although I typically prefer a traditional detail spray to a wax.

The McKees is pretty solid stuff quite possibly my new favorite.