PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who detail for $$$

Pages : [1] 2

bluzman
07-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Im thinking of doing a little detailing on the side. What is the best way to approach someone and offer your services without insulying them? Is there a subtle way to tell them there paint could look better?? Thanks

texasdan
07-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Bluzman,

I don't do this for $$$ but have had the same thoughts.

A picture says a thousand words. An example says more. Detail a car and then go park it at a local hangout, stripmall, etc. and put up a sign. I would target upscale areas if you can. With some exception, people just making ends meet are not going to care much about detailing.

If you approach people, don't tell them how their paint looks now, show them how it will look when you are done.

People buy things because of the feeling they get. If you make them feel good, then selling your service is easy.

You'll get more work than you can do, so remember this.

BILL
07-09-2006, 01:48 PM
You Detail Cars For Free???

texasdan
07-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Only my own, sorry.

I paid for college by contracting house painting and other construction work. When you don't have a local reputation, you learn to sell or starve.

bluzman
07-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Bluzman,

I don't do this for $$$ but have had the same thoughts.

A picture says a thousand words. An example says more. Detail a car and then go park it at a local hangout, stripmall, etc. and put up a sign. I would target upscale areas if you can. With some exception, people just making ends meet are not going to care much about detailing.

If you approach people, don't tell them how their paint looks now, show them how it will look when you are done.

People buy things because of the feeling they get. If you make them feel good, then selling your service is easy.

You'll get more work than you can do, so remember this.

great answer danjos. Exactly the kind of advice I was looking for!!

texasdan
07-09-2006, 02:00 PM
I do know some people who detail on the side. They can make a killing over the weekend if they stay at it. An ad in the local paper does well. Advertisements on the bulletin board at Wal-Mart also work and they're free. Going to upscale neighborhoods and distributing flyers has also brought success. Remember to dress in khaki shorts and a polo shirt. If you know local small business owners, give them a call or drop by their businesses. They are usually very busy but like to have good looking cars.

texasdan
07-09-2006, 02:04 PM
The good thing about detailing is that you always have repeat business after it rains. I would seek out as many good customers as you can handle and focus on the repeat business. This will make scheduling your work much easier.

justin_murphy
07-09-2006, 03:10 PM
First, you need to focus on what type of client to go after.
Real esate offices and banks are my main staples of business. Most want weekly washes and monthly waxes. They really care about the interiors since they have clients with them alot.
Retirement communities are awesome too.
If you have a marina, go there. You can do a boat and usually get their autos too!
This is a great business. The money is in the wash/vacs though. I can do 5-6 by 1:00pm and make 300.00 (50X6) or I can do a full detail by 3:00 and make only 200.00 by doing 1 car. It's alot easier to sell 6, 50.00 washes than 1 200.00 job.
Agree?
My goal is 6 wash/vacs per day for Monday-Thursday. This will make me 1200.00 per week just in washes. I will then reserve Friday and maybe Saturday for the full details at 1 per day at 200.00. That would be another 400.00 making a total of 1600.00 per week. Sound unreal? This is my sixth month and I'm steadily doing 1000.00-1200.00 per week now.

You have to be a salesperson. You HAVE TO SELL YOURSELF!
Smile and dress nice. Do a good job and you have not one but 4-6 more customers!

As you can tell, I'm passionate about my job. PM me if you need anything else or just keep it here.

Justin

texasdan
07-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Justin,

Sounds like you have a great thing going. Its good to see...

BILL
07-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Justin,

Sounds like you have a great thing going. Its good to see...

:iagree: :applause:

jforget1
07-09-2006, 04:12 PM
I just did my first two jobs yeaterday, did what I am marketing as a std detail. Did my uncle's Altima and my Aunt's Camry, was happy with the results on both. Took just about 3 hours each. Charged $80 each and they were ok with that. Have 1 or 2 more lined up for next week, will help out with expenses each month. Hoping for good word of mouth. Give it a try.

Reddwarf
07-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Justin does darn good work too (evidenced by photos on this forum). Before reading his reponse I was thinking that Realtors would be a good source of customers. Another idea might be to check with local car clubs like the Jaguar club. I belong to a Jag club and all of them like to keep their cars clean and most do not do it themselves.

texasdan
07-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Good idea, Reddwarf. A lot of people appreciate nice things and are in such clubs, but don't have the time or ability to perform detail work.

texasdan
07-09-2006, 05:54 PM
jforget1, that Ridgeline looks sharp! What did you use?

jforget1
07-09-2006, 07:15 PM
jforget1, that Ridgeline looks sharp! What did you use?

Thanks, that was a while ago and I think I used Meg's gold class. I have some shots from a recent detail and will post them soon. LOVE the truck.