PDA

View Full Version : Paint Coating Prices

Maxreed241
01-03-2018, 10:00 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first post on autogeek. I received Mckee’s 37 paint coating (new formula) and Optimum Gloss-Coat paint coating (new formula) as Christmas gifts. I am new to paint coatings and thinking about offering paint coatings in my business. I don’t know how to price them accordingly and if I need to take any precautions when applying these coatings. If it helps, I live in Northern Lower Michigan.

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

kevincwelch
01-03-2018, 10:33 AM
Welcome to Autogeek!

You will probably have to do some searching on this and see what the local competition is offering. Prices will vary depending upon the type of coating you are going to apply as well. Certainly you would charge less for applying McKee's coating than you would if you were to apply CQuartz Finest or Modesta. You'll also have to decide whether to cook this in with a package or whether you are going to offer it a la carte or as an add-on package for an existing detail project. The market will vary, but people will charge anywhere from $500 to $1500 for the pleasure of having a coating applied. Prices may also vary depending upon the size of the vehicle as well. It's also going to vary if you are simply talking about paint coating or whether you are going the distance and coating wheels, glass and trim as well.

Maxreed241
01-03-2018, 11:28 AM
Welcome to Autogeek!

You will probably have to do some searching on this and see what the local competition is offering. Prices will vary depending upon the type of coating you are going to apply as well. Certainly you would charge less for applying McKee's coating than you would if you were to apply CQuartz Finest or Modesta. You'll also have to decide whether to cook this in with a package or whether you are going to offer it a la carte or as an add-on package for an existing detail project. The market will vary, but people will charge anywhere from $500 to $1500 for the pleasure of having a coating applied. Prices may also vary depending upon the size of the vehicle as well. It's also going to vary if you are simply talking about paint coating or whether you are going the distance and coating wheels, glass and trim as well.

Thank you for the reply! It is helpful. I am still trying to gather information just thought I’d try to reach out to the AG world.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

zmcgovern45
01-03-2018, 11:47 AM
I would encourage you to do your own thorough and detailed testing so that you are very familiar with the products, their application, their benefits, and perhaps most importantly - their limitations.

Once you consider yourself to be very knowledgeable and experienced with the coatings, absolutely offer them to customers and, with any service, charge as much as your market will support. Our paint coatings started at $250 and went up to $500. This was in addition to any cleaning and paint correction work that was done prior to coating (so typically $1000+ invoices).

Paint coatings can do wonderful things for your business if you are truthful, knowledgeable, and a good salesman.

Maxreed241
01-03-2018, 11:54 AM
Hoping to try out the coatings next week to get some experience

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Joe@NextLevelDetail
01-03-2018, 11:56 AM
I would encourage you to do your own thorough and detailed testing so that you are very familiar with the products, their application, their benefits, and perhaps most importantly - their limitations.

Once you consider yourself to be very knowledgeable and experienced with the coatings, absolutely offer them to customers and, with any service, charge as much as your market will support. Our paint coatings started at $250 and went up to $500. This was in addition to any cleaning and paint correction work that was done prior to coating (so typically $1000+ invoices).

Paint coatings can do wonderful things for your business if you are truthful, knowledgeable, and a good salesman.

What Zach Said!

What is great about the McKee's 37 Coating is it is not going to break your bank, Increasing profit margins while being able to charge a more attractive price point.

You would want to be at the 250+ Range (Just for the coating) That is not including any paint correction or extra add on services.

If someone wants to pay me 300-400 just to wash and coat a vehicle I am also on board with that (if it does not need major paint correction)

Go around it with McKee's 37 Coating Prep Polish and slap the coating on. Easy and profitable. (Excellent results too!)

Maxreed241
01-03-2018, 12:00 PM
What Zach Said!

What is great about the McKee's 37 Coating is it is not going to break your bank, Increasing profit margins while being able to charge a more attractive price point.

You would want to be at the 250+ Range (Just for the coating) That is not including any paint correction or extra add on services.

If someone wants to pay me 300-400 just to wash and coat a vehicle I am also on board with that (if it does not need major paint correction)

Go around it with McKee's 37 Coating Prep Polish and slap the coating on. Easy and profitable. (Excellent results too!)

Thanks so much Joe!

InnovativeAutoDetail
01-13-2018, 10:37 PM
I charge $500 for Optimum Gloss Coat and that includes a 1-step. I just got on with IGL and I will probably keep that price for Ecocoat Quartz+.

Maxreed241
01-14-2018, 02:01 AM
I charge $500 for Optimum Gloss Coat and that includes a 1-step. I just got on with IGL and I will probably keep that price for Ecocoat Quartz+.

What is your experience/view(s) on optimum gloss coat?

InnovativeAutoDetail
01-14-2018, 11:56 AM
What is your experience/view(s) on optimum gloss coat?

It was easy to install, depth and gloss were 8/10, and to me one of the best consumer coatings out there. No IR heat lamps to cure it and relatively quick curing time before you apply the next layer if you double layer it. For ease of installation I would go with it before any other coatings, that is my take.

DeepReflections
02-02-2018, 01:21 AM
Going back to the original question and apologize for the late response. My coating business has simply taken off and I am booked two-three weeks out for $1000+ coating jobs. Now having said that I am in an area of Silicon Valley that is incredibly expensive, so all things are relative.
You need to research coating prices in your area, then make a decision do you price slightly higher and get a more exclusive crowd, or price lower and deal with coupon clippers.
I am priced higher than my competition and can do an "elevator" presentation(30 seconds or less that summarizes why I am better than my competition) that 90% of the time seals the deal. I can tell when a customer calls, they are shopping, so I tell them to ask the following questions that pertain to my shop and my quality of work. If that shop can one up me, and prove it, go with them. 95% call back and schedule.
I won't quote exact prices over the phone, I give a range and tell customers I need to see the car before I commit to a price.
Do I get "oh my, I had no idea you were that expensive!" Not a customer I want. Did I lose some business, you bet, but chances are very high these are the nitpickers that suck you dry. Those are the ones I want to send to my competition and let them get drawn down into the abyss of complaints.