PDA

View Full Version : Testing LSP maintenance products for dust attraction.

BryanH
01-03-2018, 02:30 AM
This is something that's been on my mind lately and I've experimented a little bit with it.

My understanding is that no product can repel dust, in spite of some of them claiming to have anti-static properties. Dust rapidly accumulates on cars here in the CA desert, even in the garage.

In the fall I performed a 50/50 test on two cars, and here are the results.

350Z: Corrected and sealed with WDGPS 3.0 in the spring. To start this test, I applied Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish on the drivers' side and Meguiars D156 Ultimate Quik Wax on the passenger's side. The car is garaged but frequently driven. A week or two without being washed showed:

http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/image/166797117/large.jpg

Conclusion: Both Meguiars products seemed to attract dust similarly, with the exception of where I very first applied UFF. You can see a streak near the center of the hood where there's less dust. My theory is I put the UFF on heaviest here when starting it fresh, never having used this product before.

MR2: Detailed some time around 2003 I believe. I purchased the car in 2005 and have never polished or waxed or sealed the car until this test. Whatever was put on there was still holding strong in 2015 and then began a slow fade process. As of this test, I considered most of the protection to be gone based on beading properties and reduced ease of washing. Anyway, for this test I applied Ultimate Fast Finish to the driver's side (upper left area in the photo you see here of the roof) and left the passenger side alone. I'll consider it "nothing" on that side. The car remained in the garage for the entirety of the test.

http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/image/166797115/large.jpg

Conclusion: Not unexpectedly, the UFF attracted more dust than the near nothing on the paint. This is probably a few weeks of accumulation.

Has anyone else done A-B testing such as this? If so, what were your findings? I'm happy for this thread to serve as a resource going forward for this kind of information, as I'm sure there are plenty of others who see this as an important factor in choosing a LSP or maintenance product.

I'm all ears for something to try next that may be better at attracting less dust, although I can't promise I'll get to it soon.