PDA

View Full Version : Experiment: Coating or Sealent?

Bobbykart
01-02-2018, 10:44 PM
After many years of machine polishing & waxing (I love the finished look), I want to experiment with a sealent or
coating.. My daily driver has been parked out side for 5 years, after being garaged the previous 10 years. I will test it out on this before moving to my sports cars.Coating or sealent? Which is best for depth? What about ease of removing the product?
Open to all your experienced suggestions!

ChrisT
01-02-2018, 10:59 PM
If you really want to experiment why not treat half of the car with each? That sounds like a fun and valuable future thread.

TTQ B4U
01-03-2018, 06:27 AM
Key to any look whether depth or gloss is the polish. Get it right and both will look awesome. Coatings IMO tend to give vehicles more of a "wet candy" look but with that I have seen many sealants also do very well with gloss levels too. We're talking micron's thin layers in either case but in my experience coatings hold up better and are easier to work with long-term.

Removal wise, I love how most sealants will haze over and buff off. Coatings tend to require a bit more effort and tend to be wiped off wet thus the reason why. However, it's not a big deal and given the longevity of the product, I have moved nearly all of my customers outside AIO level details, over to coatings.

Desertnate
01-03-2018, 09:05 AM
After having used sealants and now coatings for years, I use nothing but coatings for my vehicles and can't see why I'd ever go back to a sealant.

As already mentioned, the biggest key to getting car looking good is the polishing before applying any type of protective product. Each will vary appearance a bit, but it's like icing on a cake...buttercream, whipped cream, cream cheese. Take your pick. It's all good!

Many of the coatings are pretty easy to apply these days. I found applying McKee's 37 Paint Coating, which comes in spray form, to be faster and much easier to apply than a sealant.

SWETM
01-03-2018, 09:24 AM
Is it okey to recommend products from the sister site?
Without breaking the rules.

FUNX650
01-03-2018, 11:36 AM
Coating or sealent?
What about ease of removing the product?
Open to all your experienced suggestions!
I’ll suggest Sealants: Optimum Opti-Seal
(OOS), to be specific.

It’s a wipe on/walk away (WOWA)
Sealant—with absolutely no residue
to remove/buff off. Eazee-Peazee!

Bob

MattPersman
01-03-2018, 12:55 PM
Stuff like PA Viking coat intrigue me. Install like a sealant or liquid wax and remove after it hazes like the sealant/wax. Wonder what real world durability is with no toppers and how well it releases dirt on washing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk