PDA

View Full Version : ONR perfect for MIchigan Winters

Pages : [1] 2 3

hoyt66
01-01-2018, 12:36 PM
Optimum No Rinse melts salt and grime off my wife's Ford Fusion. Rinseless products make it so nice to wash vehicles. Especially in the garage when temp are in the single digits outside.

https://www.autogeek.net/opnoriwash12.html

Go from this
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_7816.jpg

To this
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_7818.jpg

and my wife is happy. As long as this car is clean.....PBMG boxes on the porch go unquestioned ;-)

LEDetailing
01-01-2018, 12:48 PM
Do you spray down with water or just presoak with ONR?

hoyt66
01-01-2018, 12:59 PM

Neither. I make one pass with my mit, Flip to other side for another pass, rinse , ringout well and re wet in the rinseless. Works well for me

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Finick
01-01-2018, 01:05 PM

For what it’s worth, I live in MD and deal with incredibly salty roads in the winter (my back roads are ridiculous) and I just lightly mist each panel and then get into it.

I haven’t encountered a situation yet where I’ve been concerned about scratching my car doing a rinseless wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoyt66
01-01-2018, 03:04 PM
Heading back out to wash my Outback. Breaking out the Wolfgang uber this time.

mmhammer
01-01-2018, 03:34 PM
What product do you like better? Does one work better for the salt? I gotta tell you, I've never washed a car that dirty with rinseless without first going to a coin-op car wash and spraying it off first. No issues??

luvmyrv
01-01-2018, 03:40 PM
What product do you like better? Does one work better for the salt? I gotta tell you, I've never washed a car that dirty with rinseless without first going to a coin-op car wash and spraying it off first. No issues??

I'm with mmhammer....when I first saw your before picture...I said...no way!!!

Finick
01-01-2018, 04:28 PM
When I asked in the optimum Facebook group about presoaking with onr before a wash, I was basically told that if you don’t pre rinse, you should pre soak.

For me, pre rinsing the car defeats the entire purpose of using a rinseless wash.

I’ve encountered no swirls washing my car with onr when salt is on it. Whether I use the GDWM, optimums blue waffle sponge, a grout sponge, a wash mitt (least favorite.)

If you’re worried about scratching your whole car, just pick one panel to try it this way on. With a presoak present I’m comfortable washing near anything off my car with a rinseless method.

Sometimes I’ll even catch myself falling back into the trap of thinking “wow this can’t work I have to have scratched the paint” when it’s dirtier than usual, but every time the inspection light comes out, I’m reminded why I trust ONR.

hoyt66
01-01-2018, 04:52 PM

That would normally be a hard call for me but since I just used them both in the same day I feel I have a winner. I would give the nod to ONR. Hahaha yeah that's a salty Fusion for sure! I use a TON of water. Fill the bucket close to max with 3 oz of rinseless. I wipe down one time per side of mit kind of rolling it and I go. No issues.

I'm with mmhammer....when I first saw your before picture...I said...no way!!!

Haha yeah that's every weekend. Love rinseless!

When I asked in the optimum Facebook group about presoaking with onr before a wash, I was basically told that if you don’t pre rinse, you should pre soak.

For me, pre rinsing the car defeats the entire purpose of using a rinseless wash.

I’ve encountered no swirls washing my car with onr when salt is on it. Whether I use the GDWM, optimums blue waffle sponge, a grout sponge, a wash mitt (least favorite.)

If you’re worried about scratching your whole car, just pick one panel to try it this way on. With a presoak present I’m comfortable washing near anything off my car with a rinseless method.

Sometimes I’ll even catch myself falling back into the trap of thinking “wow this can’t work I have to have scratched the paint” when it’s dirtier than usual, but every time the inspection light comes out, I’m reminded why I trust ONR.

Presoak is definitely good. I use a mit and wipe top to bottom one side of mit per pass. I use light pressure so at the bottom if I see that I have left some salt/dirt behind I just repeat process after rinsing and re soaking mit

luvmyrv
01-01-2018, 05:15 PM
I have a 31 ft RV that I like to wash after trip, and most times it's dusty but not real dirty, the odd time we get caught in rain and it will have a fair bit of road grime on it. I think I need to switch to trying this on the RV, seems it would be quicker, use a ton less water.

Mazo275
01-01-2018, 07:11 PM
Give N914 a shot! This product is excellent! Great cleaning ability, leaves behind a high gloss shine. This product also makes a great clay lube and panel wipe. Try it, I bet you make the change. Waterless wash ratio is awesome too!

hoyt66
01-01-2018, 07:50 PM
Give N914 a shot! This product is excellent! Great cleaning ability, leaves behind a high gloss shine. This product also makes a great clay lube and panel wipe. Try it, I bet you make the change. Waterless wash ratio is awesome too!

Yes, I have been reading alot about that. I have also been switching over to Mckee's 37 products. I will give it a shot when I'm finished with the onr and uber.

Cleankat
01-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Have to second the N914....i was a long time uber user and while I still think uber is a fantastic product I think I may like the N914 a bit better. Seems slicker to me and the finish is cleaner. I don't require additional protection and the finish seems clearer with the 914 to me. Can't go wrong with either though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MattPersman
01-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Hit up our van with ONR this morning. Worked pretty good. It’s white so couldn’t see if there was any streaking or salt marks still. Looked 100 times better than it was. Was -13 out when I left for work. May do the Accord tomorrow morning

inDetail
01-02-2018, 03:04 PM
I'm a big presoak believer. Especially with road salt. Give those polymers time to work loosen and break down those salts. No matter how good the product is, your technique and equipment you are marring the paint to some degree. Is it going to look like you keyed your paint, no. You are wiping in straight lines which makes scratches even harder to see. Now with quality product, good technique and equipment you may be pressed to see the micro marring but it's there. It will also polish right out come spring when you do your first detail. The question is do you want chemicals sitting on your paint all winter or minor amount of micro marring to clean up in spring.