PDA

View Full Version : Holograms with hand polish

Pages : [1] 2

jordy17
12-28-2017, 01:10 PM
Please help.
Sorry if this has been explained a million times already but i can't find an answer, I'm having holograms in my paintwork after i hand polished, what technique is the best to get rid of them or at least reduce? Or do they get covered up after i waxed, the swirlmarks i had before got covered well by the wax but that is only temporary

Thanks for the help

Mike Phillips
12-28-2017, 01:38 PM
Since this is your first post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

I think you mean swirls or swirl scratches.

Holograms are a scratch pattern put into paint by the use or misuse of a rotary buffer. See this article,

The word holograms means a specific scratch pattern inflicted into paint using a rotary buffer (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2Fya4slrjz)

:)

Mike Phillips
12-28-2017, 01:40 PM
I'm having holograms in my paintwork after i hand polished,

What are you using for a product?

What are you using to apply the product?

What color is the paint on your car?

If you're aiming for perfection and working on black or dark colored paint then you're going to want to move up to machine polishing. Clearcoats are scratch-sensitive and even the best among us find it difficult to create a flawless finish when working by hand.

jordy17
12-28-2017, 01:42 PM
What are you using for a product?

What are you using to apply the product?

What color is the paint on your car?

If you're aiming for perfection and working on black or dark colored paint then you're going to want to move up to machine polishing. Clearcoats are scratch-sensitive and even the best among us find it difficult to create a flawless finish when working by hand.

I use turtle wax renew polish with a micro fibre applicator, i tried a foam applicator and it got worse and my car is black.

I already accepted that it won't be flawless but i don't want it to be bad either

jordy17
12-28-2017, 01:48 PM
Since this is your first post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

I think you mean swirls or swirl scratches.

Holograms are a scratch pattern put into paint by the use or misuse of a rotary buffer. See this article,

The word holograms means a specific scratch pattern inflicted into paint using a rotary buffer (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2Fya4slrjz)

I'm very sure it are holograms, when i shine a light on it it reflects lines of light, it's dark now I don't even want to see what it looks like in the sun[emoji24]

jordy17
12-28-2017, 01:57 PM
Tomorrow I'm just going to use less pressure and see if wax will cover it up lol. Thanks for the replies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SWETM
12-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Have you cleaned properly before polishing and clayed it? Why I am asking is if not really cleaned before you may install scratchers more than polishing them of.

If you want to get as much help as possible. Describe in detail your way to do it and we can help you out alot easier.

jordy17
12-28-2017, 02:24 PM
Have you cleaned properly before polishing and clayed it? Why I am asking is if not really cleaned before you may install scratchers more than polishing them of.

If you want to get as much help as possible. Describe in detail your way to do it and we can help you out alot easier.

I have clayed, the surface is 100% clean. I just put a little bit of polish on a micro fibre applicator and just do straight and circular motions, could the pressure used be too high or too little?

Rsurfer
12-28-2017, 03:50 PM
I have clayed, the surface is 100% clean. I just put a little bit of polish on a micro fibre applicator and just do straight and circular motions, could the pressure used be too high or too little?

Could the polish have too much cut for a finishing polish thus leaving marring (holograms) which are fine scratches.

Mantilgh
12-28-2017, 04:11 PM
It could be the polish.

Mike says the abrasive technology is the most important factor when it comes to polishing paint.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2009-to-2016-how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/98943-poll-whats-number-one-most-important-factor-when-comes-polishing-paint.html

Mike Phillips
12-28-2017, 05:35 PM
It could be the polish.

Mike says the abrasive technology is the most important factor when it comes to polishing paint.

Correct. That is what I say and what I believe from real-world experience.

My guess is it's the polish. We've had other people come onto this forum over the years asking for help to remove swirls after using consumer grade compounds and polishes.

The fastest, easiest fix right now would be to get some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and re-apply to the affected areas using a NEW clean microfiber pad.

From years of experience, and as a person that teaches how to remove defects including sanding marks by HAND - most people in my experience and opintion do not possess the skills, muscle, tenacity or expericne to know how to move their hand to correctly, properly and completely remove any type of defect out of modern clearcoat paints by hand. Even when using great abrasive technology.

It's hard than most people think it should be. But that's how clearcoats roll in the shire.

Here's the actual blue clickable link to my poll on that you referenced.

POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/98943-poll-what-s-number-one-most-important-factor-when-comes-polishing-paint.html)

1: Technique.
2: Tool.
3: Pad.
4: Paint.
5: Abrasive technology.

Which one and why?

And my answer is ALWAYS abrasive technology. It touches the paint first followed by the pad, followed by the tool and the person is the last thing to in order of what touches the paint. Some, not all but some detailers are alpha males and ego driven and these are the guys that always say technique trumps all else.

But I could give any self-proclaimed expert any number of compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes on the market today, (all three of these use abrasive technology), and no amount of technique will MAKE them work great on black paint or any color paint.

jordy17
12-29-2017, 04:25 AM
I think I've found my problem, I just can't completely remove the kinda oily stuff in the polish, if I wipe over it the holograms change in shape a bit so when I'm done I'm going to wash my car and see what that gives

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HUAWEI CRR-L09 met Tapatalk

SWETM
12-29-2017, 06:37 AM
That can be it the polishing oils makes you see some kind of hologram look.
Maybe get some Ipa and dilute down to about 10% and wipe of a test spot. This will take care of the polishing oils.

And as Mike is saying to polish by hand is a hard grunt work.

One thing to ad is that a microfiber applicator is a coarse pad. When useing on a da polisher mf cutting pads are about the most coarse pad you can get. There is handgrips with velcro on them that you can use polishing pads on them. If you want to still go with hand polishing. But I recommend to get a da polisher like porter cable xp7423 or a griots gg6. This will get you a easier work and a more uniform finish. And look at Mikes videos about how starting with polishing with a polisher. He gives us a ton of information that is so valueble.

Mike Phillips
12-29-2017, 09:30 AM
I think I've found my problem, I just can't completely remove the kinda oily stuff in the polish, if I wipe over it the holograms change in shape a bit

so when I'm done I'm going to wash my car and see what that gives

I like this. Do wash the car and then inspect in the sun. Let us know what you see.

Also, to troubleshoot, find a place on the car that has no swirls and scratches. Apply this product to a small area and only apply in a back and forth direction. If it's scratching the paint it will be apparent due to the scratches will be in the direction you rubbed.

If it doesn't scratch you're good to go. Finish using this product for whatever you were doing with it and then seal the paint with a coat of wax, an application of a synthetic paint sealant or a paint coating.

LEDetailing
12-29-2017, 10:09 AM
I had an interesting observation this fall. A friend had paint transfer on his 2016 F150 tailgate from a basketball ball hoop falling and “lightly” grazing the tailgate. I wasn’t able to touch the paint transfer with a Rupes 15 MkII and a MF cutting pad/GG fast correcting cream. I switched to a cheap 3” MF hand applicator and applied heavy pressure and the paint came off in seconds.

Do you think this has more to do with the heat I was creating, or can hand compounding/polishing in very small concentrated areas actually correct faster. I’m thinking the friction actually loosened the paint transfer and helped remove the paint? I’m guessing a heat gun warming up the paint transfer followed by polishing would have worked?