PDA

View Full Version : Got HD Speed for xmas... tried it out

jdgamble
12-25-2017, 07:56 PM
Holy smokes! I can't believe this stuff!

My folks got hit by a tumbleweed... it gave me the perfect excuse to try my new present. The hood of their black Passat was so shot out. Swirls and scratches everywhere. I hit it with 4 passes of Speed on an orange pad. The results were remarkable! Looked like a sheet of glass at the end.

For the experts... I've heard that Speed has fillers. Is this permanent? I mean does it really correct that well? It's really unbelievable to me.

Happy holidays everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

WaxMaster1
12-25-2017, 08:39 PM
Nice Christmas gift! Speed does not have fillers

mwoywod
12-25-2017, 11:46 PM
HD Speed and HD Polish+ are from the future. No fillers in Speed other than the natural filling ability of the montan wax. HD Speed utilizes the same non-diminishing abrasives found in HD Polish+. I believe both products leave the best finish of any polish or AIO on the market especially once you factor in value for your $$.

JMak97008
12-25-2017, 11:50 PM
HD Speed and HD Polish+ are from the future. No fillers in Speed other than the natural filling ability of the montan wax. HD Speed utilizes the same non-diminishing abrasives found in HD Polish+. I believe both products leave the best finish of any polish or AIO on the market especially once you factor in value for your $$.

Have you tried the new Megs D166 and, if so, how does it compare to HD Speed? Im considering picking up an AIO...

dlc95
12-26-2017, 12:04 AM
Have you tried the new Megs D166 and, if so, how does it compare to HD Speed? Im considering picking up an AIO...

It's a bit thicker (D166), which for me doesn't spread as easily. I also find thick, waxy products also more resistant to cutting.

Where D166 seems to shine is with microfiber pads, but I'm not a fan of cleaner waxing with mf pads. With foam D166 will do ok though, but if I had to choose, I'd choose Speed. D166 also has a really strong odor, which I'm not a big fan of at all. I did like the smell of Speed. Not at all offensive.

I love Meguiar's M66. It's my most used cleaner wax product. Duragloss 501 is even better.

Eldorado2k
12-26-2017, 01:55 AM
HD Speed and HD Polish+ are from the future.

The only thing that’s from the future is the WaxMaster. Lol.

mwoywod
12-26-2017, 03:17 AM

I'm probably not the best person to ask about D166. Everyone has their own methodology and what I dislike about D166, others may justifiably like.

One thing's for certain, D166 and HD Speed aren't really a like for like comparison.

It seems like Megs really tried to swing for the fences w/ D166 by producing a 1-step cleaner wax that cuts like a compound, finished like a polish, leaves behind the most durable sealant megs has to offer, and works on any type of polisher or pad. Unfortunately, they ended up with a product that really is only useful for production detailers and body shops IMO.

It's hard to explain but D166 goes from a thick pudding like consistency to a watery liquid right when you turn the polisher on. The transparent film that is evenly distributed across the surface when polishing with HD Speed doesn't exist with D166.

The only way I've been able to achieve decent results with D166 is with a microfiber pad like Dan (dlc95) mentioned because rather than immediately soaking into the core of a foam pad it soaks just into the microfiber and can be blown out/dried with compressed air after every set.

The problem is, with a microfiber pad it leaves a HORRIBLE finish. I honestly don't know how D166 slipped through the cracks or why megs didn't send D166 to Mike Phillips for testing before releasing D166 to the public.

But, if you care about Cut and Durability in an AIO then D166 just might be right up your ally. To my knowledge I'm the only person on the AG forums that had a really bad experience with D166.

If you're looking for another AIO to add to your arsenal I HIGHLY suggest Blackfire One-step. I can't comment on durability but it is incredibly easy to use, nearly as easy as HD Speed to buff off, it's extremely slick, and it leaves an amazing glossy finish. When I buy an AIO/cleaner wax I want something that enhances gloss, removes light swirls and scratches, won't stain trim, and is stupid easy to use. HD Speed & Blackfire One-step fit the bill for me.

WaxMaster1
12-26-2017, 08:10 AM
The only thing that’s from the future is the WaxMaster. Lol.

That's exactly what I'm talkin' bout

Dereksdtail
12-26-2017, 09:58 AM
The one thing that impresses me about the hd family, I've never had a problem with wiping off the product after working it, they also work really well on single stage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwoywod
01-07-2018, 04:06 PM
The one thing that impresses me about the hd family, I've never had a problem with wiping off the product after working it, they also work really well on single stage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really glad someone else has experienced HD Products ease of use on single stage paints. I primarily work on single stage enamel and single stage lacquer and both HD Polish+ and HD Speed have got me out of a ton of jams when even notoriously easy to use products like M205 and Hyper Polish were sticking to the paint and becoming difficult to work with and finish down with.

RZJZA80
01-07-2018, 08:37 PM
I thought Speed did have fillers, the silicone in it, which also helps to provide the nice shine. Is this no longer the case?

MikeC78
01-07-2018, 08:45 PM
No. It has Montan wax in it, which will naturally have a “filling” effect.

Mike Phillips
01-07-2018, 08:46 PM
Any wax or sealant that works also fills. Think about it.

Don’t I have an article on this topic somewhere?

:laughing:

RZJZA80
01-07-2018, 08:50 PM
No. It has Montan wax in it, which will naturally have a “filling” effect.

Here you go:

http://www.3dproducts.com/content/msds/425_HD_Speed.pdf

Polydimethylsiloxa is a type of silicone