PDA

View Full Version : I think I might kill myself if I don't replace my step stool with something better.

Pages : [1] 2

tattooman
12-23-2017, 09:07 PM
I've been using a small folding step stool for reaching the roof and windshield of my truck for washing etc. But today I was leaning over the truck a little, and the ladder started to fold back down and knock me off my feet. So I need to ditch that stool and just use it for around the house stuff but not cleaning a truck.

What do you guys use that is safe to stand on to reach over trucks ? Whatever it is, I cannot afford it to fold down or wiggle or collapse if I put a little english on it.

Thanks.

VISITOR
12-23-2017, 09:10 PM
there's actually quite a few threads on this topic, here's a recent one...
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/116751-gorilla-platform.html

Eldorado2k
12-23-2017, 09:16 PM
I use that same Gorilla platform^ It's cool and works great... But to be honest it's a bit of a PITA having to move it from 1 side to the other over and over again... I say buy 2 or buy none.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171224/d8a6f7d228064ac9be4154fbdd261dd2.jpg

Maybe I just have to get better at finishing 1 side completely instead of going back & forth.. And 2 platforms might be cumbersome, but that thing hasn't been as convenient as I'd like it to be sometimes. I wish it had wheels.

pcford
12-23-2017, 10:13 PM
I have the adjustable height heavy duty Gorilla platform from home depot. The extendable leg stabilizers help a little, but if I really need to lock it down a sand bag across each of the lower cross members glues it to the floor. The extra height is a big advantage but it's not incredibly stable on it's own at 30".

Some 3m stair tape on the platform helps too.

https://gorillaladders.com/product/glwp-55a/

Trip
12-24-2017, 06:24 AM
Just got the same platforms from r 29.00 at the Home Depot for Black Friday. Great deal and super handy not sure if any Boxing Day deals on it but well worth it

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

fightnews
12-24-2017, 07:41 AM
I've been using a small folding step stool for reaching the roof and windshield of my truck for washing etc. But today I was leaning over the truck a little, and the ladder started to fold back down and knock me off my feet. So I need to ditch that stool and just use it for around the house stuff but not cleaning a truck.

What do you guys use that is safe to stand on to reach over trucks ? Whatever it is, I cannot afford it to fold down or wiggle or collapse if I put a little english on it.

Thanks.

I only have a compact suv and I use a 4' fiberglass ladder. I wouldnt be able to wash my car without it. Get a real one from home depot it will be worth the investment imo

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/f8cf9a5c-81f3-4e44-9260-cace7d9bed57/svn/werner-step-ladders-fs104-64_1000.jpg

cyclops
12-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Another vote for the gorilla platform.
Use it for washing the tops of tall vehicles or as a workbench when working on lower vehicles.

TTQ B4U
12-24-2017, 10:08 AM
I use that same Gorilla platform^ It's cool and works great.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171224/d8a6f7d228064ac9be4154fbdd261dd2.jpg

^^ I use a simliar one only the one I have is adjustable in height upwards of up to 3ft so I can easily use it around the house for other items too. Makes working on tall SUV's and vans easy as can be. I ordered my through Home Depot and had it shipped to my house. Mine is incredibly stable even at full height. Check them out there at the store or online.

hmardown
12-24-2017, 10:49 AM
tattooman
I ended up making my own step stool. it's two step's about 18'' wide & just fit's under my truck. this way if I'm leaning over & it kicks back it won't lift up. it can only hit under the
truck. if I slide it over with my foot it won't damage the rocker paint(should i kick it to hard). it's great to get in the back onto the tail gate. I've found that's better to have a couple of step stools around the truck(it saves all lot of steps). sorry I don't have any pics. good luck.
hmardown

MarkD51
12-24-2017, 11:06 AM
Agree with all the boys here. Years ago I bought the Werner Platform, has served me well, I think I paid something like $21 for it on a black Friday sale, worth every penny and has served me well.

This newer adjustable height Gorilla looks real nice too, my Werner does not have this feature, but still no regrets.

With my Tahoe though, and of course many other "high" 4x4's, these Platforms still fall just a little short. Especially if you're thinking of doing Roof paint correction with a D/A, or perhaps some other involved processes where you need to be able to reach comfortably to the center of the roof.

For that, a good 4' or 5' Werner Fiberglass Ladder will be a great aid. They surpass the cheaper all Aluminum variety, are light, and solid. I caught a nice 5' Werner on black Friday 2016 for very little money, couldn't pass it up, I think $29 if I recall.

willieg
12-29-2017, 12:19 PM
Try the Cramer Kik Step rolling stool. Amazon for about $50. When you step on or sit on it depresses to floor and is stable. I use it to work on top of car, might be a little low for truck or SUV depending on your height. Also very handy to sit on when working on side panels, etc. It is about 6-8 inches lower than my Werner bench.

briarpatch
12-29-2017, 01:43 PM
To call me 'vertically challenged' is an understatement. I have an inexpensive 3-step stool from Cosco, which works fairly well. My next investment will be a podium ladder from Werner. They're stable to work from, come in a variety of step heights, and can even accommodate a detachable tray. They're a little more money, but still cheaper than a trip to the ER

Calendyr
12-30-2017, 12:43 AM
I use a Werner platform I purchased 4 years ago for about 30$ at the local Home Hardware (or some other large hardware store).

It has a locking mechanism on both legs so it cannot fold by itself. These things are a must for SUVs and vans... I guess you could use a step ladder but having to reposition it several times to do the roof seems like a huge waste of time and energy. With a platform you have to reposition it once for each side of the roof. So it's not that bad. Maybe some platforms are longer, not sure. Minde is about 3 feet long so I can do the front side of the roof then reposition it to the back side. Then again on the other side of the truck.

Found picture of it on Amazon, but these things should be easy to find at most hardware stores.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/610Li-mbOVL._SL1280_.jpg

Paul A.
12-30-2017, 10:04 AM
^^ that looks like the exact one I have. I use that and the rear tires on SUV's.

GSKR
12-30-2017, 11:14 AM

Thanks.
Ditch the ladder.front part open door place a towel on Sill step up one or two swipes close the door.For the rear step on rear tire and practically soap up the whole roof.I never use a latter or bought one in 25 years.I only use latter's on planes but the sides are wrapped in eggcrate and shrink wrap.