PDA

View Full Version : Little mold on pads... bummer

jdgamble
12-22-2017, 11:13 AM
So it would appear that I put away a couple pads that were still a little wet. I seal my pads in ziploc bags, so a couple of them got a couple mold spots I think. I cleaned them excessively, and they are still there. They don't feel any different than the rest of the pad.

So what do you this? Trash them or use them?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

2black1s
12-22-2017, 12:20 PM
I would use them in a not so critical application and see how they perform. They're probably fine. If they seem to be underperforming then get rid of them.

Goonie75
12-22-2017, 12:32 PM
I would use them in a not so critical application and see how they perform. They're probably fine. If they seem to be underperforming then get rid of them.
[emoji121] [emoji106] [emoji108]

Happened to me too. 1 pad. No difference in performance. Mike Phillips also showed rolling pads in a towell to 'wring' water out. I dry upside down on our baking cooling racks... lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

LEDetailing
12-22-2017, 12:32 PM
I did the same thing last year. Now I spin dry my DA and rotary pads with a rotary and let them dry for 48 hrs before bagging them.

The mold seemed to just stain my pads. Probably not going to hurt anything, but you could religate The moldy pads to lower panels

jdgamble
12-22-2017, 12:51 PM
Good idea on the lower panels. Thanks for the replies.

Hey follow on question... I sometimes throw my used pads in a container and then just wash them out later. I know a lot of people put them in water / cleaner right away. Is it bad for them to dry with polish or compound on them? I was the shlt out of them when I clean them... totally soak them in Pinnacle pad cleaner. But should I be washing then right away? Same as mold... they feel the same as any other pad.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Goonie75
12-22-2017, 01:08 PM
IMO it's maybe just better practice to do as soon as possible but others with way more knowledge will chime in. It just feels better to get them done at the end of the job. 😊

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Paul A.
12-22-2017, 02:29 PM
I also like to simply keep them "wet" after using them. I may not get to wash them out for another day or two but they soak in the meantime. I can't really justify it with science but I think I want to keep the abrasives mixed in with a liquid so maybe they can flush out easier.

I will say that I have let cutting pads dry dirty a time or two before washing and flushing them out real good and haven't noticed any difference. I guess it's a psyche thing for me to let them soak!

I experienced what looked like mold on a couple pads I probably didn't fully dry before storing. From my experience they were simply stained greyish and didn't alter the performance of them. I wouldn't worry about them. I DO make sure they have completely dried out before sealing up again now.

dlc95
12-22-2017, 03:00 PM
I also like to simply keep them "wet" after using them. I may not get to wash them out for another day or two but they soak in the meantime. I can't really justify it with science but I think I want to keep the abrasives mixed in with a liquid so maybe they can flush out easier.

I will say that I have let cutting pads dry dirty a time or two before washing and flushing them out real good and haven't noticed any difference. I guess it's a psyche thing for me to let them soak!

I experienced what looked like mold on a couple pads I probably didn't fully dry before storing. From my experience they were simply stained greyish and didn't alter the performance of them. I wouldn't worry about them. I DO make sure they have completely dried out before sealing up again now.

I do the same.

I'll hit them with onr clay lube dilution, and put them in the wash tote. I'll clean them when I get home. If working at home, I wash them after the job.