PDA

View Full Version : How important is a sealant UNDER wax to looks?

makdaddy626
01-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Just curious, how much difference can you tell in the looks of a vehicle based on which sealant you used when topping with a wax?

Example: Would you be able to tell the difference in a car sealed with WG DGPS and topped with Souveran vs. the same car sealed with KSG and topped with Souveran?

Jimmie
01-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Ummm, good one. That's a headscratcher. You almost need to see a side by side because I know that I've used the same wax over different sealants at different times and can't say. Makes me want to do a couple of panels.

makdaddy626
01-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad I'm not the only one that has tried a couple but can't really say whether there was a difference or not.

mixxer
01-23-2008, 05:09 PM
IMHO i think it matters more what you top it with rather than what sealant you use under it.

makdaddy626
01-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Makes a strong argument for DG or other reasonably priced, easy to use, long lasting sealant doesn't it?

I just got thinking... most the time you see any sort of sealant review, the looks are evaluated as an LSP, but many of use don't really use it as the last step...

ScottB
01-23-2008, 05:55 PM
I dont believe the sealant makes a "huge" difference in the outcome after being topped by a wax, spray, or other LSP. I do feel proper polishing and prep naturally makes a finish more reflective which adds to a good wax or sealant in making a car truly shine to the next level.

dennish
01-23-2008, 08:51 PM
I think it detracts from the overall look, I believe that a good glaze like RMG and wax is the way to go. But that is just me!

supercharged
01-23-2008, 10:11 PM
I dont believe the sealant makes a "huge" difference in the outcome after being topped by a wax, spray, or other LSP. I do feel proper polishing and prep naturally makes a finish more reflective which adds to a good wax or sealant in making a car truly shine to the next level.
:iagree::goodpost:

Z06-Goose
01-23-2008, 10:29 PM
IMO once you top it with wax, all bets are off as the wax will be the predominant factor in the final looks
Of course different combination of brands of sealants, and waxes may yield different results...

_M_
01-23-2008, 11:51 PM
is there any sealent that you shouldn't put a wax over?

Z06-Goose
01-24-2008, 12:44 AM
is there any sealent that you shouldn't put a wax over?
No. Wax over sealant will improve its looks, however, sealant over wax will not produce the best results as waxes will not be a good base for a sealant to bond to, and hence the sealant will not cure to produce the results it's meant to yield...

_M_
01-24-2008, 07:19 AM
so then should the sealent be fully cured before you layer a wax over it or just dry?

Mike T
01-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Yes. Applying the wax before the sealant is fully cured will degrade the durability of the sealant because the sealant won't bond properly with the wax mixed in.

_M_
01-24-2008, 11:00 AM
cool, i think i will do polycharged 4* upp with collinite for the truck and maybe z2 or z5 zfx's with souveran for the car, or vice versa on the sealant...i will keep the souveran for the car and collinite for the truck