PDA

View Full Version : New Car !! ceramic coating question

Pages : [1] 2

thedoc46
12-21-2017, 01:09 PM
Done a dealer trade for a new car i was looking for, as it had the transmission i was after, which couldn't be found locally. Anyway cutting a long story short, when the car was delivered, i found out that they applied a product called 'auto bond'. http://autobondsealant.com/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo010c-UbXY Tried calling them and no surprises here but its a voice mail only. Anyway I'm going to presume that they've probably taken a generic ceramic coating and applied it, All the dealers that are all probably owned by the same person, is 'offering' this added protection for god knows how much... Anyway given they're saying no more need to wax / protection for 5yrs, i'm going to presume they've added a ceramic coating. Personally the car looks like absolute crap, swirls from head to tail ! For a car that only has 35miles on the clock it's pretty disappointing. My guess is that it sat on the lot at the dealer in central FL for 4 months, and went through their automatic car wash.

So i was going to give it my usual in way of a full detail, start off with a clay, then compound then polish to get rid of all those nasty swirls, then my favorite Collnite 845 and call it good. But don't know enough about ceramic coatings. Do i have the potential of making the swirls worse ? or just go about my normal business, and treat it like another clear coat on the factory clear coat ? and do the above.

LSNAutoDetailing
12-21-2017, 01:31 PM
So i was going to give it my usual in way of a full detail, start off with a clay, then compound then polish to get rid of all those nasty swirls, then my favorite Collnite 845 and call it good. But don't know enough about ceramic coatings. Do i have the potential of making the swirls worse ? or just go about my normal business, and treat it like another clear coat on the factory clear coat ? and do the above.

I would do a test spot, odds are you'll find that it should clear up. If your test spot proves worthy, do the rest of the vehicle and apply your LSP.

DaveT435
12-21-2017, 01:32 PM
You should be able to easily remove it with compound. I have read two scenarios where the coating absolutely would not come off with anything but sanding.
While not a real scientific test, or an absolute guarantee the coating is gone. If you go ahead and compound and polish the hood then run water on it, not high pressure just normal hose if the water slowly sheets off it's a sign it's gone.
Others may have better methods, this is a pretty simple test that can give you useful information.

Rsurfer
12-21-2017, 01:36 PM
Congrats, on your new ride. What make and color?

Since the coating is micro thin, treat it like regular clear coat and you'll be fine.

Calendyr
12-21-2017, 02:13 PM
Ceramic coatings are about 1 micron thick if applied correctlly. So a polish should be able to remove it. A compound would be faster at it if you want to do the extra step.

Congrats on the new car.

HUMP DIESEL
12-21-2017, 02:23 PM
There are not many if any coatings that cannot be removed with a good polish job, then apply whatever you want to the car.

HUMP

DaveT435
12-21-2017, 02:49 PM
There are not many if any coatings that cannot be removed with a good polish job, then apply whatever you want to the car.

HUMP
There are a few. Here is one I was referring to. Crystal Serum is another. I agree with there aren't many, but obviously at least a couple.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/117131-ridiculous-situation-i-came-across-today.html

The Guz
12-21-2017, 03:07 PM
Seems like it’s just a sealant hence the name sealant in the actual name.

Should have no issues polishing it off.

Rsurfer
12-21-2017, 03:56 PM
Seems like it’s just a sealant hence the name sealant in the actual name.

Should have no issues polishing it off.

A five year sealant?

thedoc46
12-21-2017, 04:00 PM
Thanks all, my biggest worry is that they applied this coating to an already swirled up car thus making it much harder to get the swirls out. Maybe the car was on the lot for a couple of months, and regularly going through their dreaded automatic car wash as the dealers do to all their cars on the lot, then they thought, lets put on the auto-bond package, which includes pin stripping (which i immediately took off!!) mud flaps and a tint, oh and this auto bond product.

Car is a Pearl black VW Gti Autobahn. I like to detail my cars to perfection, so i hope i haven't bitten off more than i can chew getting a black car lol... Only picked it up this week, so need to work on dropping the suspension this weekend, and a good clay, compound, polish and wax job, before i can really enjoy her ! I should also mention i have a Meg's MT300 and the foam cutting and polishing pads. I've only used Megs Ultimate Compound and Polish for compound and polishing. Waxes i've tried all sorts, but Collnite is my go to !

The Guz
12-21-2017, 04:21 PM
A five year sealant?

Car dealers sell this stuff claiming many years of protection. Nothing new there.

Rsurfer
12-21-2017, 06:13 PM
Thanks all, my biggest worry is that they applied this coating to an already swirled up car thus making it much harder to get the swirls out. Maybe the car was on the lot for a couple of months, and regularly going through their dreaded automatic car wash as the dealers do to all their cars on the lot, then they thought, lets put on the auto-bond package, which includes pin stripping (which i immediately took off!!) mud flaps and a tint, oh and this auto bond product.

Car is a Pearl black VW Gti Autobahn. I like to detail my cars to perfection, so i hope i haven't bitten off more than i can chew getting a black car lol... Only picked it up this week, so need to work on dropping the suspension this weekend, and a good clay, compound, polish and wax job, before i can really enjoy her ! I should also mention i have a Meg's MT300 and the foam cutting and polishing pads. I've only used Megs Ultimate Compound and Polish for compound and polishing. Waxes i've tried all sorts, but Collnite is my go to !

Do a test spot, you may need a heavier compound than Ultimate Compound as VW's cc is pretty hard.

Patman22
12-21-2017, 11:02 PM
Car dealers sell this stuff claiming many years of protection. Nothing new there.

I almost got suckered into something like that on my new Corvette! For $699 they were going to apply this product called Diamond Kote which has a 10 year warranty, as long as you let them re apply it after 5 years (free of charge they say). So because it makes claims like repelling bird droppings and other contamination, it makes people (including myself sadly!) assume it's a ceramic coating. Further investigation proved it's not, and making an actual warranty claim is relatively futile, they always find a way to deny the claim somehow.

I saved myself a boatload of $$$ by not falling for their scam, and my plan is to continue using Meguiar's UFF (I've had great results so far with my wife's BMW, my Honda Civic and my previous Corvette) I still can't believe this stuff costs only $12.97 (and I've done 8 coats with one can so far and it's easily got 8 more left in it)

thedoc46
12-22-2017, 05:51 AM
I almost got suckered into something like that on my new Corvette! For $699 they were going to apply this product called Diamond Kote which has a 10 year warranty, as long as you let them re apply it after 5 years (free of charge they say). So because it makes claims like repelling bird droppings and other contamination, it makes people (including myself sadly!) assume it's a ceramic coating. Further investigation proved it's not, and making an actual warranty claim is relatively futile, they always find a way to deny the claim somehow.

I saved myself a boatload of $$$ by not falling for their scam, and my plan is to continue using Meguiar's UFF (I've had great results so far with my wife's BMW, my Honda Civic and my previous Corvette) I still can't believe this stuff costs only $12.97 (and I've done 8 coats with one can so far and it's easily got 8 more left in it)

oh yeah i know its a complete scam. One i would have said no way too, except when this particuar car was delivered the previous dealer (as it was a dealer trade) had already applied it. Car looks like crap. The worst swirling i've seen to come off a lot. Almost haze like. I'll tackle it this weekend, just wanting to know what i'm up against, never having dealt with a ceramic coating in my past.

SWETM
12-22-2017, 06:06 AM
If you have the time and possibility to take before shots on the paint and after shots. And share it with us on how it looks and what you get it looking would be nice.
Hope it's coming of easy and you get your car as it supose to look. Good luck with your work!