PDA

View Full Version : Question about $1000 steamers. Accessories

TiCaLLioNStaLLyN
12-19-2017, 08:08 PM
Hey guys, (I'm im Edmonton, ab and the boat lands for the topic half way down :))

So I'm about to buy a steamer. I have done the research and narrowed it down to the vx5000. Dupray Tosca and the vapor chief. I've had my eye on the vx for a long time but like to look at all the options i can to make an informative decision.

That being said I am still leaning towards the vx. I want to use a cart with vac in bottom and steamer on top, with space to spare for my interior detail bucket. Tosca can be bought local and although more modern and aesthetically appealing.....the shape doesn't do it for my cart set up haha.

The vapor chief is on sale at moment but he wants 75 us shipping in top of sale.price. so we're at very comparable price to the vx5000 at 795 shipped. The vx can be adjusted for more pressure and has a bigger tank. Yes it's slower at heating but I like how the vx5000 has buttons vs a trigger. Realistically I don't need unlimited control of steam pressure. low med High is fine for me and quick as its on the wand vs the machine. Now I know solenoids etc involved with buttons but I haven't read any issues with those going so I am not concerned. Also the water injection like feature is a bonus as you never know what you run into.

My real only concern is that the vx5000 doesn't offer boars hair accessories. Now I can't find a single thread where someone says the nylon bristles damaged leather or the plastics. Yes I know, common sense and depending on job a microfiber should be used over the head haha.

What are you own experiences is what I am curious about with the nylon brushes? Have you used both kinds?

If you have used any two of these machines, again some quick input would be cool to hear as well.

I am pretty set on the vx5000, at this point. It will be about 75 cheaper than the Tosca I can get locally after can dollar conversion.

Appreciate anyone's input.

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

bill walsh
12-19-2017, 08:30 PM
get the vapor chief

Mantilgh
12-19-2017, 08:57 PM
Bill, the man would probably like to know why you’re recommending it.

TiCaLLioNStaLLyN
12-19-2017, 09:22 PM
Exactly, please state why? I am asking for people to share experiences etc. Just saying the vapor chief doesn't say much.

The vapor chief is about the same price for another week. It's doesn't offer a water injection like feature. The tank is .5 qt smaller. It's uses the trigger vs buttons. Adj is on machine not wand. Hose is a foot or two shorter. Other than it recently being bumped from 75 to 85 psi. The vx5000 can be adjusted from its 6.5 psi by following a cpl youtube videos (think that's what is is, 6.5)

And also the main question is about the accessories not so much the machines .

Thanks

Mad Wax
12-19-2017, 10:43 PM
I recently got the Vapor chief 100...and honestly what made me get it was a combination of things. Kevin, the designer was actually a detailer himself, and somewhat tailored it for auto detailing (hence the boars hair brushes and the long hose). He's got a ton of vids on Youtube, and covers pretty much everything about it. At the time I was making my decision, he had a slammin' deal going on for the 100 on his site, and I just knew I had to get it.

My previous steamer was a McCulloch 1375 and let me tell you, this thing just blows it away easily. I have constant steam that lasts minutes, not seconds...it's built like tank...I have continuous fill. The boars hair brushes allow me to use it on door jams, emblems safely. The long hose allows me to work around the car quickly...and it's very easy to pack up.

The only drawback I can think of...and you'll probably have this issue with the VX5000 or any commercial steamer is if your mobile, you have to be careful you don't trip your customers circuit breaker. He claims it's a 1750 watt draw, so that's basically sucking up the whole circuit. You have to make sure nothing else is plugged into the circuit, and you can only use a maximum of 50ft extension cord.

TiCaLLioNStaLLyN
12-19-2017, 11:36 PM
I recently got the Vapor chief 100...and honestly what made me get it was a combination of things. Kevin, the designer was actually a detailer himself, and somewhat tailored it for auto detailing (hence the boars hair brushes and the long hose). He's got a ton of vids on Youtube, and covers pretty much everything about it. At the time I was making my decision, he had a slammin' deal going on for the 100 on his site, and I just knew I had to get it.

My previous steamer was a McCulloch 1375 and let me tell you, this thing just blows it away easily. I have constant steam that lasts minutes, not seconds...it's built like tank...I have continuous fill. The boars hair brushes allow me to use it on door jams, emblems safely. The long hose allows me to work around the car quickly...and it's very easy to pack up.

The only drawback I can think of...and you'll probably have this issue with the VX5000 or any commercial steamer is if your mobile, you have to be careful you don't trip your customers circuit breaker. He claims it's a 1750 watt draw, so that's basically sucking up the whole circuit. You have to make sure nothing else is plugged into the circuit, and you can only use a maximum of 50ft extension cord.Appreciate the response and detail.

I dont feel the need for Continous for the extra cpl hundred (few canadian haha). The 75 would be more up My alley

How is the trigger? Is it a light pull? I have one bad wrist and triggers can iritate it over prolonged use. Kind of why I liked the button concept.

How long do you find the boars hair brushes last? Are they expensive to replace?

Have you used a vx5000? Just curious what your feel for quality of accessories was against the chief 75.

Mad Wax
12-20-2017, 12:12 AM
Appreciate the response and detail.

I dont feel the need for Continous for the extra cpl hundred (few canadian haha). The 75 would be more up My alley

How is the trigger? Is it a light pull? I have one bad wrist and triggers can iritate it over prolonged use. Kind of why I liked the button concept.

How long do you find the boars hair brushes last? Are they expensive to replace?

Have you used a vx5000? Just curious what your feel for quality of accessories was against the chief 75.

The trigger is very easy to use. I barley have to press on it...it's a very well made gun/hose assembly. I've used the boars hairs brushes many times on a weekly basis for about 2 months now, and they look and feel brand new. I don't remember the prices, but when I checked on his site, the replacement brushes aren't super expensive, and he gives you the option to buy them in packs, which is cost effective. I can see myself maybe buying a pack a year....or maybe 2 tops...and to me, that's not really a big deal.

I haven't used a VX5000, but I've heard great things about it. I'm sure it will last just as long as the Vapor chief as there both solidly built, commercial steamers. There made to be used all day....every day....and I was tired of having to buy a new McCulloch every year.

I'd say the attachments are even between the two machines. I lean more towards Vapor chief because of the boars hair brushes...the VX5000 though comes with an additional, smaller triangle type attachment that I wish came with the Vapor chief. The Vapor chief has just the one larger triangle tool...and if it came with the smaller one, it would make it just a little easier in some areas.

Let me know if you have any other questions.