PDA

View Full Version : Claying with wash/clay mitt and soap as lube?

fightnews
12-17-2017, 06:58 AM
Ive read mikes show car shine book and know from experience, when you clay with soap as lube you don't end up with the same glossy paint you get when claying a dry car with real clay lube.

Is this still true with say the new Blackfire clay wash mitt? What would be the best soap to use a lube when claying at the wash process?

ChrisT
12-17-2017, 11:18 AM
I use ONR as a clay lube 1:128, the same ratio as when doing a RW.

TTQ B4U
12-17-2017, 12:54 PM
Ive read mikes show car shine book and know from experience, when you clay with soap as lube you don't end up with the same glossy paint you get when claying a dry car with real clay lube.

Is this still true with say the new Blackfire clay wash mitt? What would be the best soap to use a lube when claying at the wash process?

Don't believe it even matters. What you're seeing in terms of benefit from clay lube is simply that like a detail spray it has gloss/lube components to it. It's only temporary if you even see a difference. IMO I use soap with clay mitts as they provide far more solution to wash away the contaminants and are just as slick if not more so. The entire point is moot however as once you clay you really should polish.

Desertnate
12-18-2017, 08:58 AM
Don't believe it even matters. What you're seeing in terms of benefit from clay lube is simply that like a detail spray it has gloss/lube components to it. It's only temporary if you even see a difference. IMO I use soap with clay mitts as they provide far more solution to wash away the contaminants and are just as slick if not more so. The entire point is moot however as once you clay you really should polish.

Exactly my thoughts.

I use traditional clay, but also use my wash soap as a lube. I find it is not only easier and faster, but also provides a more consistent lubrication base for my clay compared to a detailing spray. Either way, polishing would off set any results regardless of what is used as the clay lube.

OP: Mike Phillips doesn't even always use a dedicated clay lube. In several of the season two Competition Ready episodes, he uses the SONAX claying pad with the Sonax Window Cleaner as his clay lube.

The important part is finding something that will allow the pad or clay to do it's job with minimal marring to the paint.

JCDetails
12-18-2017, 09:37 AM
I use ONR as a clay lube 1:128, the same ratio as when doing a RW.

ONR rinseless dilution is 256:1, half that of the clay lube dilution. Are you actually RW with 128:1?

Cruzscarwash
12-18-2017, 10:18 AM
I generally use my wash soap as lube. I wash with MF towels so after the first pass to remove the majory of grime, I flip my towel to get any left overs, then clay the panel, ring out the towel and the remove anything else left and dry, move to the next panel and repeat until the whole car is done. depending on my end goal. I polish next or move to a spry sealant or wax etc.

ChrisT
12-18-2017, 11:25 AM
ONR rinseless dilution is 256:1, half that of the clay lube dilution. Are you actually RW with 128:1?

Good catch. I think I was still asleep when I posted that. I use 2oz to a gallon for clay lube and 1oz to two gallons for rinseless.

JCDetails
12-18-2017, 11:28 AM
Good catch. I think I was still asleep when I posted that. I use 2oz to a gallon for clay lube and 1oz to two gallons for rinseless.

Ah ok. That makes sense. Was worried because I’ve heard Yvan say that stronger dilutions are no bueno for rinseless.

My understanding is:

RW: 256:1 (one oz to two gallons)
QD: 128:1 (one oz to one gallon)
CL: 64:1 (two oz to one gallon)

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

ChrisT
12-18-2017, 11:55 AM
Ah ok. That makes sense. Was worried because I’ve heard Yvan say that stronger dilutions are no bueno for rinseless.

My understanding is:

RW: 256:1 (one oz to two gallons)
QD: 128:1 (one oz to one gallon)
CL: 64:1 (two oz to one gallon)

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

I have no idea about using ONR as a QD as I use a CarPro formulation. But this thread suggests 8oz to a gallon:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/products-guides/78031-onr-clay-lube.html

JCDetails
12-18-2017, 11:59 AM
I have no idea about using ONR as a QD as I use a CarPro formulation. But this thread suggests 8oz to a gallon:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/products-guides/78031-onr-clay-lube.html

That is correct, I am mistaken. QD ratio is much higher.

The Guz
12-18-2017, 12:00 PM
As mentioned it doesn't really matter. CarPro Immolube is pretty nice though. Does get sudsy with a clay mitt compared to traditional clay.