PDA

View Full Version : Remove white paint splatter from black car?

CC268
12-15-2017, 09:20 AM
Somehow my wife got white paint splatter on the back of her black Ford Escape. It is very small pin drops of white paint all over the back of the car. I don't think it is something that will come off with clay bar.

Any tips, chemicals, etc I should try?

Thanks!

DetailKitty
12-15-2017, 09:46 AM
How long has it been on the car? if not long I'd try claying it first.

DBAILEY
12-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Goof Off Professional Strength Remover has worked well for me in the past. On old baked in yellow road paint too. Spray it on the area and then on a MF. It will start to come off after 3-4 wipes. I throw away the MF towel afterwards. I have also used it to clean up road spray on the plastic wheel liners and it did not have an adverse affect on the plastic.

CC268
12-15-2017, 10:37 AM
How long has it been on the car? if not long I'd try claying it first.

A long time lol...months. I haven't had time to deal with it.

CC268
12-15-2017, 10:39 AM
Goof Off Professional Strength Remover has worked well for me in the past. On old baked in yellow road paint too. Spray it on the area and then on a MF. It will start to come off after 3-4 wipes. I throw away the MF towel afterwards. I have also used it to clean up road spray on the plastic wheel liners and it did not have an adverse affect on the plastic.

Hmm alright I suppose I can give that a shot. No adverse affects on the clearcoat then? Surprising it didn't do anything to the plastic.

DBAILEY
12-15-2017, 10:42 AM
It is citrus based solvent and not volatile solvents. I was amazed at how well it worked. All 4 panels on the driver's side of the car had yellow road paint from the rocker panels up about 2/3 the way to the glass. The owner that I bought the car from said that the paint had been on the car for probably at least 2 years and he absolutely did not take care of the car so doubt if there was any wax/sealant/coating on those panels beforehand. I worked for hours using Megs red aggressive clay before I tried the Goof Off. I could have been done in an hour and even finished it off with a clay barring afterwards to make sure al the specs were removed. I still own the car that I first used it on including the wheel wells. No discoloring on the plastic so far. It actually totally cleaned the tar build up too. Its a killer tar remover also.

KirkH
12-15-2017, 10:50 AM
Probably will take acetone at this point.

CC268
12-15-2017, 11:02 AM
Probably will take acetone at this point.

Wow acetone won't damage the clearcoat/paint?

CC268
12-15-2017, 11:03 AM
It is citrus based solvent and not volatile solvents. I was amazed at how well it worked. All 4 panels on the driver's side of the car had yellow road paint from the rocker panels up about 2/3 the way to the glass. The owner that I bought the car from said that the paint had been on the car for probably at least 2 years and he absolutely did not take care of the car so doubt if there was any wax/sealant/coating on those panels beforehand. I worked for hours using Megs red aggressive clay before I tried the Goof Off. I could have been done in an hour and even finished it off with a clay barring afterwards to make sure al the specs were removed. I still own the car that I first used it on including the wheel wells. No discoloring on the plastic so far. It actually totally cleaned the tar build up too. Its a killer tar remover also.

Good to hear - I think I will give this a shot.

Goonie75
12-15-2017, 11:05 AM
If highway paint maybe laquer thinner. Saturate and keep at it. Clean as usual after and wax, etc....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

KirkH
12-15-2017, 11:17 AM
Wow acetone won't damage the clearcoat/paint?

You have to be gentle.

pcford
12-15-2017, 09:36 PM
Before you ass-u-me that acetone or other solvents won't damage your clear coat, spot check an inconspicuous area first. Spot test, wait a week, check and make sure that clear coat hasn't been softened or damaged. The paints been there a while, it's not going anywhere.

yakky
12-15-2017, 09:43 PM
Any idea as to what kind of paint? IPA works wonders on acrylic and latex paint.

CC268
12-17-2017, 10:26 PM
Any idea as to what kind of paint? IPA works wonders on acrylic and latex paint.

I am going to try IPA, then Goof Off which is safe on automotive paint. Acetone would be last choice