PDA

View Full Version : Brine alert! This is not a drill!

Pages : [1] 2 3

DetailKitty
12-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Well boo- we got a few inches of snow this weekend and the townships have already gone insane with the salt and brine all over the roads :mad:
I really wish they would just leave the roads alone... the brine to me seems to create ice and lets's not forget the effect it has on our cars.

Enough with the brine!

juvefan30
12-11-2017, 11:41 AM
Picture a world where we don't use brine to prevent ice buildup on the roadways. Now throw in the average driver and their accompanying skillset out there. That is why streets are coated with brine in the winter, our paint finish be damned. Safety is way more important than our paint, as much as this pains me to say.

yellosuzku
12-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Just plow and sand I say! I hate when they treat the roads before snow and it creates a messy slush that has no traction. I'll take the hard packed snow and sand any day.

SWETM
12-11-2017, 11:56 AM
Yeah it's a sad time. But for safety it's necessary they use it. If there could been snow roads that is so awesome to drive on. When it's melting and freezing on again on and off it's safer to salt the roads. And if people would drive after how the roads are maybe the brine would not be necessary.

Hammer77
12-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Yes I hate as much as the next person, I got faith in my lsp, this too shall pass.

dlc95
12-11-2017, 12:42 PM
My best friend from grade school till today works for the city of Auburn Hills. He came up with his own brew, containment, and dispersal system using beet juice.

I'll have to ask if it has any negative effect on cars..

LEDetailing
12-11-2017, 01:06 PM
Just plow and sand I say! I hate when they treat the roads before snow and it creates a messy slush that has no traction. I'll take the hard packed snow and sand any day.

Totally agree. I believe some western states still mostly use sand in place of salt.

machz
12-11-2017, 01:16 PM
I agree to his agree... Salt turns it into a slushy mess. I have a backroad near me that is not paved and because of that they only plow then sand. That road is way better than the paved/salted roads in the winter.

TTQ B4U
12-11-2017, 02:15 PM
So my wife comes home last night and proceeds to tell me she followed "one of those salt trucks" last night as she made her way across the freeway :cry:

Her car looks like it was sprayed with baby powder and water mixed. Ugh. Guess what I'll be doing tonight....

DetailKitty
12-11-2017, 02:20 PM
If people would drive to the conditions we wouldn't need this crap.

I don't remember 20+ years ago having brine all over the streets. I just remember snow-packed streets and I just drove. AND I had a RWD car!!!!!
If you can't drive in snow get off the roads!

oneheadlite
12-11-2017, 02:56 PM
If people would drive to the conditions we wouldn't need this crap.

I don't remember 20+ years ago having brine all over the streets. I just remember snow-packed streets and I just drove. AND I had a RWD car!!!!!
If you can't drive in snow get off the roads!

I'd settle for people having tires appropriate for the conditions! I'm not saying everyone has to have snow tires (but oh would it be nice if they did...), but even tires with sufficient tread depth/design would be nice. Look at peoples tires when you walk through a parking lot sometime - it's terrifying...

DetailKitty
12-11-2017, 03:08 PM
I'd settle for people having tires appropriate for the conditions! I'm not saying everyone has to have snow tires (but oh would it be nice if they did...), but even tires with sufficient tread depth/design would be nice. Look at peoples tires when you walk through a parking lot sometime - it's terrifying...

True story!!!!

Firehouse Mike
12-11-2017, 03:13 PM
Totally agree. I believe some western states still mostly use sand in place of salt.

Yup..no salt here in WA. Just sand and a few counties use beet juice. Seems to work well
Mike

DetailKitty
12-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Never heard of using beet juice! But I'll take anything over brine!

ScottH
12-11-2017, 04:00 PM
Well boo- we got a few inches of snow this weekend and the townships have already gone insane with the salt and brine all over the roads :mad:
I really wish they would just leave the roads alone... the brine to me seems to create ice and lets's not forget the effect it has on our cars.

Enough with the brine!

Totally agree with you!!! For 1" of snow it is completely unnecessary to treat the roads with all this salt and brine! Completely unnecessary! It is all done in the name of CYA (cover you ass). If people would focus on driving and not texting, the roads would be much safer. Yes Saturday low and behold, a mother driving a Suburban was driving down the road (in the snow), with a backseat full of kids, going 15 mph OVER the speed limit while texting! 20 years ago the roads were only salted when we were expecting 12" or more of snow. Now it's done whenever a single snow flake falls. HATE IT!

ScottH