PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm having good luck with Forever Black Plastic Restorer (actually a Dye)

tattooman
12-10-2017, 10:18 PM
About 3 weeks ago I treated half of the black plastic cover on the top of the rear chrome bumper on my ford truck, and so far I'm impressed. I cleaned and degreased it with superclean, wiped it down with a little alcohol, then painted it lightly with the product. After three weeks, the tape line where I did one half of the bumper, was still very clearly visible - one side black, the other side weathered. I did the other side today, then did the whole thing with a second coat. I'm gonna give it a few days before I seal it all up with 303 protectant. My experience with both of these products is limited, but I think this should do the trick. On Mike's dedicated thread about plastic trim - whatever you do, do it regularly with something you like. Well this might be my ticket for what I like. I bought the truck used one year ago, so this is the second time I've addressed the plastic trim, the first time was a failure, using some type of greasy product that attracted dust and dirt, never use that again !

So have you guys used this Forever Black product, or the 303 protectant product ? I find the 303 product to be very interesting, because it doesn't "cure" by air drying. I'm guessing it has some type of chemical property that causes it to chemically bind with whatever it is applied to, more or less, I guess. I need to call those folks again to ask them what is happening "under the covers" that makes this product so (apparently) effective.

tattooman
12-24-2017, 11:13 PM
Ok it's been 15 days and it still looks great. Black clean and smooth. If this combo lasts a year I'll be sold. I plan on zapping it w 303 every once in a while, but hoping it stays black and clean. It's not a work truck, it's my commuter, so this should be a good test for the winter.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Eldorado2k
12-24-2017, 11:58 PM
If it were me I wouldn’t top it with the 303.

Willbeen
12-25-2017, 08:03 PM
I use both products and am very satisfied. I apply the Forever Black once per year in the spring, and the 303 about every 3-4 months. Both are super easy to apply and lasting.

tattooman
12-26-2017, 05:56 PM
If it were me I wouldn’t top it with the 303.
Why ?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Eldorado2k
12-28-2017, 03:54 AM
Why ?

I thought it might contain petroleum distillates/solvents which could cause a negative effect on your base layer.. I did some research on the product and even had a nice conversation with 1 of their customer service reps. and it turns out I was wrong.

I asked about the general application of it on top of another product such as a vinyl dye [as long as the base layer has proper time to cure] and serve as “sunblock” on top of it and was reassured it would be fine to use for that purpose. It sounds like you’ve found a combo that works. [emoji1417]