PDA

View Full Version : buff out 2003 4runner

richhinz
12-10-2017, 07:06 PM
newbe at car polishing Want to detail neglected 2003 4runner .what kind of d.a. pads how many and how much and what kind of different products to buy.

Mantilgh
12-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Hello Richhinz!

Do you have any pads or compounds/polishes on hand currently?

I have an 05 4Runner that I acquired from my In laws.

The old paint seems to be reasonably hard for an asian vehicle, or at least not nearly as soft as my Subies are.

I’d go with a light/medium cutting pad and medium cut compound. This is assuming it’s probably a bit rough on the outside and could use a good correction.

Something like Griots Orange BOSS pads and their Correcting Cream or their Fast Correcting Cream. The BOSS microfiber cutting pads also cut and finish well.

There are many other combinations that I’m sure will work well too. Let us know if you all ready have anything to try.

richhinz
12-11-2017, 07:11 PM
hello mantilgh

No pads or compounds yet .How many do you think I would need? It needs a lot of correction. Thanks.

Mantilgh
12-12-2017, 11:12 AM
I believe the general recommendation is 6-8 pads for cutting if you are going to do the whole vehicle in one shot.

You can get by with less if you only work on a couple of panels a day.

Big thing about pads is to not over saturate them with product, and to not overuse them. A combination of both can destroy them.