PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on lighting and walls for garage conversion for detailing

olariu
12-10-2017, 06:14 PM
I am thinking of converting one bay of my three-car car garage for primarily for detailing. That would include one new insulated wall with man door, insulate ceiling, other walls and inside of overhead door. The bay would be 12 x 24 feet. I wish it were wider but it will have to do without compromising the other two bays. The usual wall treatment is painted drywall. You can use the bath grade drywall that is more water resisent (obviously painted). I was looking into the plastic panels instead (maybe not ceiling). anyone have experience with those?

As to lighting....I watched one of Ammo's videos and he put in 4900 kelvin fluorescent lights. That certainly works well but I wonder if LED would be the way to go. Lighting options seem to be changing rapidly and I wonder if that would be a better path. I currently have overhead shoplight style florescents supplemented with 2 very bright LEDs on a movable stand.

Heat. I am in central PA and I will add heat using gas or propane, it depends on the cost of the gas pipe run as to fuel. Electricity is also an option but its operating costs would be more, I think.

Any suggestions from those that have done similar conversions?

Jeff

ChrisT
12-10-2017, 07:11 PM
For side lighting I have four 4000 lumen shop lights in a 22x15 space, two on each side, that I got from Amazon. They provide plenty of light. Living in southern Florida I have no need for heat but have a wall air conditioner for cooling.