PDA

View Full Version : Which one to apply first....?

ramblnmn
12-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Hello All,

This is my first post and I have a questioned (which has probably been asked)... which should go on first a sealant or the wax.....? I never used a sealant before,

I had always used a wax and my thinking always was that after I waxed my car I would throw a towel across the front of my hood and watch slide across the roof and off the back of my car, which kind of told me the car had a very smooth surface and that if you were to lean on the car you would slide off it, not to mention all the water would bead up as well.

So now I want to have the same effect....but I heard that a carnauba wax gives a nice warm and deep finish but a sealant kind of gives a bright finish and which kind of finish do you end up with if you use both products (warm deep or bright) if both products are suppose to protect your paint, and depending which I apply first what am I doing ....?

If I apply the sealant first I guess I'm protecting the paint first and then when applying the wax is the wax protecting the sealant that's protecting the paint?, or if I do the reverse is the sealant sealing the wax that over the paint...?

How about this question....when do you know when again to apply the sealant or the wax....?

At least when I was just using wax I knew when the water didn't bead up or the car didn't have that slippery feeling... whewww

Rsurfer
12-08-2017, 06:54 PM
Wax over sealant. Sealant needs clean paint to bond too. Sealants do give a hard candy shine and some like the warm glow that a wax gives off. I prefer two coats of a good sealant on the horizontals and skip the wax. A show car might benefit by the wax in terms of looks. IMO skip both and use a coating.

TiCaLLioNStaLLyN
12-08-2017, 07:22 PM
In terms of when to apply. Throw a cup of water on your ride ( if you can't recall how water beaded last time it was wet. If it beads small, breaks up and runs off on angled surfaces,you're good. If the water hits and falls flat and spreads out, slowly trickling off (very large beads that dont roll off too).....its time for a new coat.

Also I would use a wax or sealant, not both. I don't notice a big difference topping a sealant with wax...just a bit more longevity on the sealant. My rule of thumb....daily and winter rides, I use a sealant mainly due to longevity with cold winter in Canada. My weekend warrior gets waxed as I want to show that flake off on a hot sunny day.

My go to sealant jescar powerlock
My go to wax p21s

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

FUNX650
12-08-2017, 09:16 PM
•Here’s another idea:
-Instead of worrying about which LSP
goes on first—the Sealant or the Wax...

-why not consider using a Hybrid LSP
(one that contains both Sealant and
Wax components).

•The Hybrid I’ll recommend is:
https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html

Bob

As a FYI:
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2017-new-car-detailing-how-article-mike-phillips/109555-patented-uv-protection-optimum-car-wax-dr-ghodoussi-autogeek-com.html

brettS4
12-09-2017, 11:47 AM
The one rule that never changes, as Rsurfer mentioned, is wax always goes over sealant. You can't make sealant stick when applied over wax.

You don't need both, but I often will do two coats of sealant and one coat of wax over that. Allow at least 12 hours of cure time after each coat.

Ochnob
12-09-2017, 08:05 PM
•Here’s another idea:
-Instead of worrying about which LSP
goes on first—the Sealant or the Wax...

-why not consider using a Hybrid LSP
(one that contains both Sealant and
Wax components).

•The Hybrid I’ll recommend is:
https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html

Bob

As a FYI:
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2017-new-car-detailing-how-article-mike-phillips/109555-patented-uv-protection-optimum-car-wax-dr-ghodoussi-autogeek-com.html

Bob. I saw you also mention this on the spray wax thread. Would you mind giving us some insight on why you like it so much? With your vast experience it must be pretty good for you to keep recommending it. Also how often of do you find yourself using it?