PDA

View Full Version : Question on Mckees tire coating

fightnews
12-08-2017, 06:39 AM
Just got new sneakers for the car. I been using the tire coating for a while. I put 2 coats on last week. I noticed some blotchy spots on the tire. I'm prob going to put another coat on. From reading the product page I do not have to use the tire and rubber rejuvenator again. Is that right?

From product page:

McKee's 37 Tire Coating dries to touch seconds after being applied. It will not crack or peel over time. As the coating eventually wears off, simply clean the tires with car wash soap, let them dry, and apply another coat or two! McKee's 37 Tire Coating keeps your tires cleaner in between regular washes. Tires that are coated with McKee's 37 Tire Coating only need to be washed with soap and water.

DBAILEY
12-08-2017, 08:49 AM
I have just washed the tire with something like Carpro Reset prior to recoating in the past.

You may have not removed all of the tire mold release product being that it is brand new. Its tough to remove. I've used Stoner's Tarminator sprayed onto a MF and wiped to clean the tire mold release product on the last 3 sets of tires I have bought for my own cars. I then followed up with the M37 Tire Rejuvenator. No ill effects seen so far. The oldest set of tires is almost 4 years old, another at almost 2 years and the youngest set at about 9 months.

Paul A.
12-08-2017, 09:27 AM
I have 3 coats on mine. I did 3 X Meg's Super Degreaser and then 2 X M37 Rejuvinator to each tire, then applied 2 layers of the M37 Tire Coating. Drove it a week and then washed again with Meg's Hyper Wash and layed down another Tire Coat.

The first time I tried the M37 Tire Coating I probably didn't wash the sidewalls enough. didn't last too long. We'll see this time. It's on 4 year old Nitto 555's.

With regard to using the rejuvinator again I find it the best to prep the tire for the coating. For me I like to use it at least twice on each tire.

boomdone
12-08-2017, 09:46 AM
I have just washed the tire with something like Carpro Reset prior to recoating in the past.

You may have not removed all of the tire mold release product being that it is brand new. Its tough to remove. I've used Stoner's Tarminator sprayed onto a MF and wiped to clean the tire mold release product on the last 3 sets of tires I have bought for my own cars. I then followed up with the M37 Tire Rejuvenator. No ill effects seen so far. The oldest set of tires is almost 4 years old, another at almost 2 years and the youngest set at about 9 months.

I would suspect this is the culprit as well.

Nick McKees37
12-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Just got new sneakers for the car. I been using the tire coating for a while. I put 2 coats on last week. I noticed some blotchy spots on the tire. I'm prob going to put another coat on. From reading the product page I do not have to use the tire and rubber rejuvenator again. Is that right?

From product page:

McKee's 37 Tire Coating dries to touch seconds after being applied. It will not crack or peel over time. As the coating eventually wears off, simply clean the tires with car wash soap, let them dry, and apply another coat or two! McKee's 37 Tire Coating keeps your tires cleaner in between regular washes. Tires that are coated with McKee's 37 Tire Coating only need to be washed with soap and water.

Based on my experience with what you described, the mold release wax wasn't completely removed from new tires.

Removing the coating at this point would be a lot of work. I would recommend applying another coat (go heavy), and see what happens. You might get lucky. If not, you'll need to pick up a can of "Wax & Grease Remover" along with some STEEL WOOL from Autozone to completely remove the coating from the tire. After that, clean the tires a few times over the course of a couple weeks, then re-apply the coating.

Are the new tires Michelins by any chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=162&v=gAHK5PZf794

fightnews
12-10-2017, 05:53 AM
Based on my experience with what you described, the mold release wax wasn't completely removed from new tires.

Removing the coating at this point would be a lot of work. I would recommend applying another coat (go heavy), and see what happens. You might get lucky. If not, you'll need to pick up a can of "Wax & Grease Remover" along with some STEEL WOOL from Autozone to completely remove the coating from the tire. After that, clean the tires a few times over the course of a couple weeks, then re-apply the coating.

Are the new tires Michelins by any chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=162&v=gAHK5PZf794

No they are coopers discoverer srx. They don't look that bad but yeah i didnt know about the wax. I'm thinking I can wash them with cg clean slate then recoat see how that works

fightnews
12-10-2017, 06:41 AM

What I usually do is after a month or 2 depending how they look I'll throw some dressing on over the coating it usually looks pretty good until I feel like recoating

The Guz
12-10-2017, 01:20 PM

Yeah this is the only way to truly remove it when the coating is fresh. I remember when I had the same issue with it was in the DP line and you helped me out by mentioning this. Never had a problem after this.