PDA

View Full Version : Leather care for black seats

01AUDI
12-05-2017, 07:16 PM
I tried something from Autozone or Carquest or somewhere and it made my black leather fade a little. I immediately tossed it, and now scared of cleaning my seats. I don't remember the name but it was a liquid I wiped on with a towel. I had found Mckees 70/30 which seems great because it's an all in one, but I'm open for recommendations please. The car has over 100k on it and I'm sure could use some cleaning and softness again.
It's a Nissan leather if that helps at all.

dennis hiip
12-06-2017, 09:11 AM
DO NOT BUY CG Spayable Leather. It's the worst! Slick, slippery, shiny, and squeaky.

ChrisT
12-06-2017, 10:12 AM
If it’s a Nissan it’s not really leather, it’s a placticized leather...or pleather. Use something that is good for leather and vinyl. I’ve have good luck with 303 Leather & Vinyl Cleaner.

01AUDI
12-06-2017, 10:33 AM
If it’s a Nissan it’s not really leather, it’s a placticized leather...or pleather. Use something that is good for leather and vinyl. I’ve have good luck with 303 Leather & Vinyl Cleaner.

You sure ? It is LE package if that helps. I had read up a while ago and thought I read it was "Genuine leather" ?

I had been looking at Megs D180 or Mckees 70/30 because of good reviews and my wife's car is leather so i could use on both our vehicles.

Or should i stick to something like Poor Boys Natural Look, it says it cleans leather rubber vinyl etc.

Eldorado2k
12-06-2017, 10:48 AM
You sure ? It is LE package if that helps. I had read up a while ago and thought I read it was "Genuine leather" ?

I had been looking at Megs D180 because of good reviews and my wife's car is leather so i could use on both our vehicles.

Or should i stick to something like Poor Boys Natural Look, it says it cleans leather rubber vinyl etc.

Here’s a tip that’ll save you some time as you can pick it up locally, money, and the commitment of buying a whole gallon of product before knowing if you’ll really love it or not.
Go to your nearby place and pick up some Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner Spray or their Gold Class Leather Wipes [whichever application you prefer best] as those 2 products will produce the same finished result as D180 will.

The only differences are the scent [they smell totally different but they both smell good] and the the consistency of the product. Spray liquid and wipes vs. the lotion of D180. But as far as finished look and cleaning ability, IMO the exact same. Hope this helps.

Best of all they’re guaranteed not to dry your seats out like that bad stuff you experienced.

Eldorado2k
12-06-2017, 11:10 AM
This is immediately after application. Notice they both leave the same finish. Don't worry, the shine calms down within a couple of hrs. to an ideal conditioned finish. [no need to knock it down with a final wipe]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171206/bff0df164af5ba3c062ebe27a30ab046.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171206/dab576aec81f945c79ce9eb832897460.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171206/c8ce9e1aa4245bdeb449a15d82f8f6f3.jpg

01AUDI
12-06-2017, 12:08 PM
thanks a lot Eldorado! I actually have used that before so I know exactly what to expect now. Great picture comparison too

ChrisT
12-06-2017, 01:10 PM

I had been looking at Megs D180 or Mckees 70/30 because of good reviews and my wife's car is leather so i could use on both our vehicles.

They may have a base of real leather but that base is pigmented, painted, and then coated (plasticized). More than 90% of production cars are.

Dont tell the dealers or product companies that you know though. Especially the product companies. They want to keep selling everyone leather-specific products when a good vinyl product will do. If you sell the Nissan and buy a Rolls, Maybach, ignore this. ;)

01AUDI
12-06-2017, 01:15 PM
so can i use Mckees 70/30 or stick to the PoorBoys Natural Look since it cleans leather, vinyl etc?

ChrisT
12-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Either. McKees says it’s good for coated leather.

01AUDI
12-07-2017, 09:37 AM
I went with the Poorboys Natural Look. I also got a leather brush, from the AG store. I need some cleanability so hopefully using the brush will agitate the leather a little more and clean the leather instead of just conditioning it.
It also seemed like a good AIO for the interior; rubber, plastics, vinyl and even tires.. so i got the big jug and hopefully i only need that one product. If it doesn't clean as well as i want then i will have to get a cleaner, but im hoping this does the job

Nick McKees37
12-07-2017, 11:56 AM
so can i use Mckees 70/30 or stick to the PoorBoys Natural Look since it cleans leather, vinyl etc?

I would use both. :)

McKee's 37 Leather Shampoo 70/30 on leather upholstery (seats, armrests, etc.)

Poorboy's World Natural Look on dashboard, door panels, etc (anything that's vinyl or plastic).

Both products smell FANTASTIC, and will leave your Audi's interior clean with a rich, like-new appearance.

Looks like Autogeek is offering FREE SHIPPING with NO MINIMUM today. What are you waiting for? :xyxthumbs:

01AUDI
12-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Looks like Autogeek is offering FREE SHIPPING with NO MINIMUM today. What are you waiting for? :xyxthumbs:

Oh now that was just rude ! haha. i mean, now I kinda HAVE to do it right.. if not taking advantage I'd be wasting money.

I already bought the Poorboys, so would the 70/30 be the best route to go, or does mckees have another "Cleaner" that would be better to use, then top the leather with the "Natural Look" ?

Nick McKees37
12-07-2017, 12:10 PM
Oh now that was just rude ! haha. i mean, now I kinda HAVE to do it right.. if not taking advantage I'd be wasting money.

I already bought the Poorboys, so would the 70/30 be the best route to go, or does mckees have another "Cleaner" that would be better to use, then top the leather with the "Natural Look" ?

Free shipping with no minimum is few and far between. There's no excuse NOT to order! I'm only trying to save you money! :cheers:

70/30 was designed specifically for leather, plus it has a very nice "new leather" fragrance. I would not top it with the Poorboy's product, simply because you will be very happy with the way the leather looks, smells, and FEELS after using Leather Shampoo. Why use more product if you don't have to?

I love Poorboy's World Natural Look. It's great stuff. I would dedicate Natural Look to the aforementioned interior surfaces - plastic, rubber, vinyl on your dashboard and door panels. It also works well on low profile tires, too. One bottle of this stuff will last years; it applies very sparingly.

:)

Desertnate
12-08-2017, 08:52 AM
Since we're on the leather and McKee's 37 theme...

I have two cars with a black leather interior. For routine maintenance I like to use McKee's Total Interior Protectant for wipe-downs. Every few months I'll hit the leather surfaces with McKee's All In One Leather Lotion.

The seating surfaces on both are vinyl coated, but despite that I have noticed the seats feel a little softer after an application. On my car the steering wheel and hand brake cover are a slightly more open pore type of leather and they are noticeably more supple and have a very nicer feel and appearance after being cleaned with the Leather Lotion.