PDA

View Full Version : Question - Megs Ultimate Wash & Wax

tattooman
12-03-2017, 09:31 PM
I've been using Megs Ultimate Wash & Wax for washing vehicles, but I have not branched out and tried anything else for washing. I'm not into foam cannons right now, so for car soap, am I on good footing using this product for washing ? If I try something else, will I gain or lose anything in terms of washing properties and the final result (and whatever that should be) ?

VISITOR
12-04-2017, 12:01 AM
megs uw&w is not economical in the long run and there are many excellent soaps out there that stretch a lot further without sacrificing performance. i have never really cared for wash & wax type of soaps and would rather use a spray wax after which only takes a few minutes to apply and offer more protection...

Desertnate
12-04-2017, 08:53 AM
What are you looking for in a car shampoo? Is the wax content important to you?

I used Meguiars Gold Class for a long time, but since branching out I'll never go back.

The best wash and wax I've ever used was McKee's 37 Power Wash. The stuff is really amazing. When I still used sealants, I found I never needed to do a post-wash spray wax step to boost the shine. The cleaning ability and lubrication of the soap was very good too.

For non-wax shampoo's you should try Optimum Car Wash and Poorboys Super Slick with Suds. I've used both and really liked them as well.

tattooman
12-04-2017, 06:57 PM
What are you looking for in a car shampoo? Is the wax content important to you?

I used Meguiars Gold Class for a long time, but since branching out I'll never go back.

The best wash and wax I've ever used was McKee's 37 Power Wash. The stuff is really amazing. When I still used sealants, I found I never needed to do a post-wash spray wax step to boost the shine. The cleaning ability and lubrication of the soap was very good too.

For non-wax shampoo's you should try Optimum Car Wash and Poorboys Super Slick with Suds. I've used both and really liked them as well.
What I'm looking for is a car soap that doesn't contain any waxes, but, is good quality and doesn't strip any existing wax or sealant. If washing, if I'm not going to do any work to the paint, I go over the car with a spray wax and cloth. Otherwise I'm correcting paint, if in that scenario, I don't see how adding wax from the car wash is any help. In either case I want clean paint. I'm just not up on car wash soap, not sure where to start, if many soaps are better than Meguiars.

01AUDI
12-04-2017, 07:56 PM
The best wash and wax I've ever used was McKee's 37 Power Wash. The stuff is really amazing. When I still used sealants, I found I never needed to do a post-wash spray wax step to boost the shine. The cleaning ability and lubrication of the soap was very good

Are you saying that if I washed my car in November with Megs Gold Class, did some correction and then topped it off with a good sealant like 360 that I can come back in December and do a simple maintenance wash with McKees Power Wash and that is OK to do in between my quarterly big waxing ?

VISITOR
12-04-2017, 10:40 PM
What I'm looking for is a car soap that doesn't contain any waxes, but, is good quality and doesn't strip any existing wax or sealant. If washing, if I'm not going to do any work to the paint, I go over the car with a spray wax and cloth. Otherwise I'm correcting paint, if in that scenario, I don't see how adding wax from the car wash is any help. In either case I want clean paint. I'm just not up on car wash soap, not sure where to start, if many soaps are better than Meguiars.

megs hyper wash is a great value and only 1 ounce is needed per 3-5 gallons of water for a bucket wash. as i've said before, it's like the johnson's baby shampoo of car soaps. it smells clean, does a good job of cleaning, and rinses easy. very economical for how many washes you will get out of a gallon too. with all the great sales going on here at AG, there's no reason not to try it out...

https://www.autogeek.net/meguiar-s-hyper-wash.html

here's another solid choice too...
https://www.autogeek.net/gallon-duragloss-wash.html
https://sep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2268_9965684

Desertnate
12-05-2017, 09:20 AM

In my opinion, there are a lot of soaps better than the Meguiars soaps you find in most stores. People love Hyper Wash like Visitor mentioned, but it's in their pro line which is a completely different story. It gets a lot of praise here.

Car shampoos get discussed here quite a bit, but more in the warmer months. Here is a good discussion from a couple years ago (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37019-favorite-car-wash.html). Autogeek offers a lot of good ones at almost every price point. If you don't want one with wax in it, I can vouch for the Sonax, Poorboys Super Slick with Suds, and Optimum Car Wash. You could probably try many other vendors here like the Duragloss Visitor recommended and be very happy.

I would advise you to get either sample bottles or the smallest bottle available and try several to see which ones you like the best.

Are you saying that if I washed my car in November with Megs Gold Class, did some correction and then topped it off with a good sealant like 360 that I can come back in December and do a simple maintenance wash with McKees Power Wash and that is OK to do in between my quarterly big waxing ?

Yes. The wax in the wash and wax soaps in minimal. It will provide very little extra protection, but will really boost the shine. I would never count on that type of product as my only form of protection on the paint.

I used the McKee's, and another one which is no longer in production, as my only shampoo when doing maintenance washes every 2~3 weeks as weather and life permitted. The only time I didn't use it was before doing any correction work. I never had any issues with the surface getting cloudy or other ill effects. It always made the vehicles look great, but I found my black car wearing Collinite 845 looked spectacular after getting bathed with the McKee's power wash.

tattooman
12-05-2017, 10:14 PM
Thanks very much visitor and Desertnate. I'll go with the Megs Hyper Wash. Thanks again.

Android
12-06-2017, 04:33 PM
This is the soap I use on my truck and the wifes SUV . I like it but don't really count on much wax being applied wwashing with it . I will dry with Megs Ultimate spray wax after just to bring out the shine . But I'm just a weekend warrior and most on here have a much better detail operation than me .
I actually don't see many posts of folks using Megs products , and that is all I use . From top to bottom and even the interior leather products I have been happy with my results . A bit nervous to try something new , but have an open mind and am learning alot on here .

dublifeMKVII
12-06-2017, 04:53 PM
The Duragloss 902 suggestion is a good one (all their products are great with their ugly containers and no marketing). Optimum wash is also great.

tguil
12-12-2017, 09:39 PM
This is the soap I use on my truck and the wifes SUV . I like it but don't really count on much wax being applied wwashing with it . I will dry with Megs Ultimate spray wax after just to bring out the shine . But I'm just a weekend warrior and most on here have a much better detail operation than me .
I actually don't see many posts of folks using Megs products , and that is all I use . From top to bottom and even the interior leather products I have been happy with my results . A bit nervous to try something new , but have an open mind and am learning alot on here .

Don't feel bad about using Meg's products. I have used them almost exclusively since the early 1970's. They work and I trust the company.

Eldorado2k
12-13-2017, 05:26 AM
I actually don't see many posts of folks using Megs products , and that is all I use . From top to bottom and even the interior leather products I have been happy with my results .

I'm always open to try new products from different companies.. But Meguiars has earned my loyalty and I'm proud to use their products ever since day 1.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171213/6b8fd720d6d392abdbafafbc50dc6610.jpg

Don't feel bad about using Meg's products. I have used them almost exclusively since the early 1970's. They work and I trust the company.

I completely agree. I still remember the day I bought my 1st car 20yrs. ago and how good it felt to wash it as best as I could. Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash started it all for me and I knew from the start that there was genuine value and good stuff behind the brand. It's hard to describe but I'm sure that true Megs people know exactly what I mean.

I told that to Barry Meguiar the 1st time I met him. Such a nice guy. There outta be more people like him in this world. More car people, detailing people, smart people, aka genuinely nice people. [emoji4]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171213/0f1f23fbe8990c16ab5e06d60a9d342f.jpg