PDA

View Full Version : A little BRAG on FLEX

B5visser
12-03-2017, 12:48 PM
So we all know how great the Flex lineup of tools is. The 3401, PE14 and XFE-7 all see regular use by me and I enjoy the results I get with all of their offerings!

I purchased the 2nd generation XFE-7 around March from another detailing site, and have really enjoyed the tool! After the first polish job, I removed the 6" backing plate that came with the tool in favor of the 5" backing plate. Just this past week, I switched the 5" to the 6" for a hood and roof polish job and noticed where the backing plate mated to the free floating mechanism (pn 446.726) had been worn away quite a bit. Usually, pn 446.726 would have 3 small "nubs" that are slightly raised (maybe 1mm) above the rest of the assembly to offset the backing plate and provide adequate cooling. Those nubs were all but completely flush with the rest of the plate, and the 5" backing plate had ~1mm divots eaten into it.

I decided, eh, I'll call Flex NA and tell them the situation, after all, maybe this is just a wear item and needs replacing.

I kid you not, within 3 minutes of me calling them, a super kind lady named Jodi had a BRAND NEW UNIT being prepped to ship next day vis UPS!!! She informed me that a number of early production units had similar issues and that the backing plate interface was defective. My original tool was number 00216 FYI.

So, not only is FLEX an outstanding tool company, but also a remarkable customer service company as well!

My new tool has had a few changes since my previous one. Here are a few that I noticed:

1. Plastic screws that hold the front grip onto the tool (instead of metal ones that got pretty HOT)
2. No more rattling balancing system. I stripped down the tool to paint the all the red parts, and noticed that unit is entirely GONE! The "new" pn 446.726 has a different stack height to accommodate for no more balancer (pn 434.205). Some my ask, "how are the tool vibrations without the balancing system." My observation is they are exactly the same with a pad from tool to tool, just no more funny rattling noise.
3. Updated backing plate and interface. There are now small plastic "sleeves" that the 3 backing plate bolts slide into and compress once tightened to eliminate the problem my original was having. A small tweak that seems to remediate the situation!
4. Noise- The new tool has a slightly different sound. Not hugely noticeable, but deeper and not as high-pitched as the original. I don't know that anything has changed here, but just an observation from my two units side by side.

This post got kinda lengthy, but I'm so impressed with FLEX, I just had to tell somebody! Obviously they're a company that is evolving, but they do what it takes to make things right, and for that they have my continued business!

3" "mini" DA here I come!!

Pictures: NEW TOOL: LEFT
what balancer?

DetailDrivenEugene
12-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Good to hear the customer service is as good as the tools. I have been using the 3401 for 3 years, and can’t imagine working without it. I still break out the rotary from time to time, but the Flex machines are my go to tools for most
Jobs. If you are on the fence about the 3” Flex, with the 15% off code today, the starter kit is $325 and change shipped. Good day to buy one!

fightnews
12-03-2017, 01:14 PM
Good to hear the customer service is as good as the tools. I have been using the 3401 for 3 years, and can’t imagine working without it. I still break out the rotary from time to time, but the Flex machines are my go to tools for most
Jobs. If you are on the fence about the 3” Flex, with the 15% off code today, the starter kit is $325 and change shipped. Good day to buy one!

Is the 3" flex forced rotation or long throw?

DetailDrivenEugene
12-03-2017, 01:18 PM
Is the 3" flex forced rotation or long throw?

It is long throw. I would prefer a forced rotation, but I’m sure it will do what I need it to.

Kamakaz1961
12-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Glad to see things were resolved!

DaveT435
12-03-2017, 10:18 PM
I guess I need to check mine since it's one of the newer (one of the first ordered from AG) units and I already had a backing plate come apart. I assume the problem you're talking about would result in excess heat??

The Flex mini is a really nice machine.

BJackson8
12-04-2017, 09:31 AM

If you really need a 3" polisher, I don't think that you can do better than the Flex. I used a PC with a 3" plate for years, but the flex is far and away a much better option. It is smooth and powerful, and you'll be amazed what you can do with this tool.

B5visser
12-04-2017, 12:49 PM
I guess I need to check mine since it's one of the newer (one of the first ordered from AG) units and I already had a backing plate come apart. I assume the problem you're talking about would result in excess heat??

The Flex mini is a really nice machine.

DaveT, My unit never got hot in the least (compared to my 3401, which gets HOT). Even on 85 degree days the head and backing plate area remained cool respectively. I imagine the problem with mine was due to excess friction between the plate and plate holder, that caused the raised "nubs" to eat into the backing plate. What model number is yours? Does yours still have the "auto balancer" rattle (unrelated to the "problem", just wondering)? FWIW mine was model 00216.

If you really need a 3" polisher, I don't think that you can do better than the Flex. I used a PC with a 3" plate for years, but the flex is far and away a much better option. It is smooth and powerful, and you'll be amazed what you can do with this tool.

Currently running my GG6 with a 3" plate for smaller areas. It does fine, but its vibration and constantly blowing motor "wind" in my face is getting old. Its a great tool, but the 3" flex has my attention!

DaveT435
12-04-2017, 04:14 PM
Funny you should say that. I was just coming back on here to add that when my backing plate came apart the first thing that came to mind was excessive heat, but I put my hand on the backing plate and it was warm but definitely not hot.
My machine is number 136 from what I can tell. I assume it's the second number down from the top left of the tag?? Yes it has the balancing system. I got it Januaru 21st, that was the first or second day AG started selling them.

I'm going to pull the plate off tomorrow and check it. Warranty is up in a month.

VISITOR
12-04-2017, 04:23 PM
nice to see a company back their product and in a prompt manner. more companies should take note and learn that customer service is as important as the product(s) themselves. congrats! :xyxthumbs:

B5visser
12-04-2017, 09:42 PM
I'm going to pull the plate off tomorrow and check it. Warranty is up in a month.

I imagine yours would be covered as well, especially with your previous BP issue. Jodi (representative I spoke to) was a complete pleasure to deal with!

nice to see a company back their product and in a prompt manner. more companies should take note and learn that customer service is as important as the product(s) themselves. congrats! :xyxthumbs:

Absolutely agree. I couldn't be happier!

DaveT435
12-05-2017, 02:29 PM
Thank you for posting this information. I called today and asked about the problem. She asked if I had any problems with the machine and I told her about the broken backing plate. She asked me for the serial number and she's shipping a new one today. I didn't even have to tear the machine down.

B5visser
12-05-2017, 04:59 PM
Thank you for posting this information. I called today and asked about the problem. She asked if I had any problems with the machine and I told her about the broken backing plate. She asked me for the serial number and she's shipping a new one today. I didn't even have to tear the machine down.

My pleasure! Glad they were able to take care of you as well!