PDA

View Full Version : Question about free vs forced DA usage

tattooman
12-01-2017, 10:24 PM
Question about free vs forced DA usage

I've been reading about polishers ad infinitum, but I still can't figure out why high-end, non-forced action DA polishers like Rupes and Flex would be preferred over a forced action DA polisher. I have a PC and a 3401, and I find the 3401 to be superior. But I haven't been detailing very long either. But when I watch detailing videos by Larry of AMMO, he's pretty strong on the Rupes 21 mm throw polisher, but I don't understand how that polisher or any other free spinning DA/Orbital beats a forced action model. Why does a detailer use a long throw free-wheeling DA over a forced action ? You don't have to deal with stalling and such with the forced action. In other words, what can you do better with one of those than a 3401 ?

This mystery is giving me a belly ache. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

WillSports3
12-02-2017, 03:35 AM
Forced action DAs are great for correction and for heavy cutting, and it's great for that purpose. However, long throw relies on the large throw instead of you forcing pressure on so after a day of polishing, it's less hurt on your body then forced action. The other part of a long throw polisher is that it reaches the same result as forced action at sometimes a faster rate because of the throw. It also provides a better finish on more delicate paint surfaces.

So to sum it up, smoother action causes less hardship on body, and is better suited for most paint finishes while forced action might not finish as well.

LEDetailing
12-02-2017, 04:11 AM
^^^^^
This.

tattooman
12-02-2017, 07:40 PM
Thanks much WillSports, another mystery bites the dust.