PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Meg's Ultimate Wax marketed in their Pro lineup ?

Pages : [1] 2

tattooman
11-30-2017, 10:32 PM
Why isn't Meg's Ultimate Wax marketed in their Pro line ? If it's really that good, they why is it a retail-only product ?

My question may be a nonsequiter because I haven't used any of the better sealants yet, like Jescar's Power Plus Sealant and the like. So maybe Meg UW isn't as good as everyone is making it out to be. I've used a whole bottle on a few cars, and I liked what I was seeing, but like I said, my experience with better sealant products is limited.

So what's your opinion of Meg's Ultimate Wax (a 100% sealant in reality), is it as good as upper echelon sealers such as Power Plus and the like, and why hasn't Meguiars put this product in their Pro lineup if it's really THAT good ? My guess is that maybe it's not and that's why, but I defer to you guys on this one.

Thanks.

ducksfan
11-30-2017, 11:47 PM
I've used the Ultimate paste. It's a real good product.

Some of the Ultimate products are in the professional line. They just change the name.

Eldorado2k
12-01-2017, 01:30 AM
My guess is because it would cost too much. Think about the fact that most of their professional products are offered in sizes up to a gallon or more... The gallon of Ultimate Liquid Wax might be astronomical.

They’re already stretching it [at our benefit, and I for 1 am grateful] with products such as D156 Synthetic Spray Wax and D143 Acid Free Wheel & Tire Cleaner, both of which are many times cheaper to buy per oz. vs. their OTC siblings.

Eldorado2k
12-01-2017, 01:41 AM
Retail price of Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax 16oz. here on AG is $26.99

Multiply that by 8, which is what it takes to make a gallon and you wind up with a retail price of $216.00

Now try and knock that price down to where you’re not scaring away your customers while not giving it away... impossible.

AZpolisher15
12-01-2017, 03:38 AM

Multiply that by 8, which is what it takes to make a gallon and you wind up with a retail price of $216.00

Now try and knock that price down to where you’re not scaring away your customers while not giving it away... impossible.

But we don't know if that 16oz costs them a nickel or $11.

tw05
12-01-2017, 04:03 AM

I know Mirror Bright Polishing Wax isn't part of the Meguiar's Ultimate lineup but I thought I read somewhere that it is comparable to Ultimate Wax. Yes it is a cleaner wax but if that similarity is true wouldn't that be the first step to a more economical version of Ultimate Wax?

Ronin47
12-01-2017, 04:31 AM
The Ultimate Compound, Polish, Wax range is marketed at the consumer but in reality is actually a professional product by detailer standards (not sure about bodyshop). They good stuff that any car care person, hobbyists and detailers alike should have alongside their mainstream products.

Eldorado2k
12-01-2017, 05:28 AM
But we don't know if that 16oz costs them a nickel or $11.

That’s irrelevant. They’re in business to make money. And just because 1 product is successful doesn’t mean some of their others aren’t costing them money... Just look at what happened to D114 when they decided it wasn’t worth continuing to produce it.

I know Mirror Bright Polishing Wax isn't part of the Meguiar's Ultimate lineup but I thought I read somewhere that it is comparable to Ultimate Wax. Yes it is a cleaner wax but if that similarity is true wouldn't that be the first step to a more economical version of Ultimate Wax?

They say it’s longevity is approaching Ultimate Wax. As far as that being a 1st step, they recently released that exact product in their professional Detailers line with the new D116 Ultra Polishing Wax.

There’s a big following for M21. That’s actually the more economical alternative to Ultimate Wax in the professional line and Its sold at a very fair price.

yakky
12-01-2017, 07:59 AM
Ultimate stands up to any modern sealant in durability and slickness. Looks great as well. I would figure they would retire #20 or #21 and use Ultimate as the replacement.

dlc95
12-01-2017, 11:23 AM
The Ultimate Compound, Polish, Wax range is marketed at the consumer but in reality is actually a professional product by detailer standards (not sure about bodyshop). They good stuff that any car care person, hobbyists and detailers alike should have alongside their mainstream products.

I agree.

Very user friendly, widely available, and deliver quality results.

I would love to see them available in larger sizes, like 32oz bottles.

dlc95
12-01-2017, 11:24 AM
Ultimate stands up to any modern sealant in durability and slickness. Looks great as well. I would figure they would retire #20 or #21 and use Ultimate as the replacement.

I thought the same, but there's just something about M21 that I love.

boomdone
12-01-2017, 11:38 AM

I'd guess there's room to move down quite a bit from that $216 figure. If you use Mckees 37 Trademark Poli-Coat Wax as a comparison, it costs $29.99 for a 16 oz bottle here on AGO. Multiplied by 8 that would put it at $240 for a gallon. Yet, Mckees actually sells its gallon version of that product here on AGO for $139.99 - quite a discount for a bulk purchase. My guess is that Megs doesn't feel a gallon version of its wax would sell at a high enough clip to justify it, especially given they'd likely have to sell it for well in excess of $100. Or maybe they feel D156 is the option demanded most by high volume detailers?

FUNX650
12-01-2017, 11:52 AM
...there's just something
about M21 that I love.
Me too!

:dblthumb2:

Wondering...what happened
to the OP, tattooman?

Bob

tattooman
12-01-2017, 08:07 PM
So, given everything said good about Megs UW, the followup question is: is Megs UW as good as Jescar Power Lock Plus ? I wanted to go down that road, but if UW is better than that already, then maybe I'll just stick with Megs UW, even though I want to try different sealers being new to this art. I'm also interested in trying M21, but again, if Megs UW is better than all of those other upper fancier sealants, then I'd be wasting my time and money.

The Guz
12-01-2017, 08:25 PM
So, given everything said good about Megs UW, the followup question is: is Megs UW as good as Jescar Power Lock Plus ? I wanted to go down that road, but if UW is better than that already, then maybe I'll just stick with Megs UW, even though I want to try different sealers being new to this art. I'm also interested in trying M21, but again, if Megs UW is better than all of those other upper fancier sealants, then I'd be wasting my time and money.

UW can hold it's own against some of the other popular brands. It also just received a formula tweak to be more durable and last longer. But give power lock a shot and see if you like it. It gets good feedback. If you want to try M21, then you can pick up NXT locally which is essentially the same as M21.