PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning underbody...

E93to
11-30-2017, 11:22 AM
Hello.

I was wondering how I should clean my car's underbody. I always spray the underbody with water straight from garden hose... Would that be enough to remove salt? And I do this after the winter season (April)

I rarely drive my car during winter. I only take out my car for a drive when the streets are dry in order to keep my car operational. However, sometimes there is salt dusts (?) on the streets... And sometime the streets are slightly wet (with salt). I don't know how much damage these can do to my car if left uncleaned...

Unfortunately I can't take my car for autowash because, well, it leaks (and I don't want to damage the paint either!)

So I was wondering if there is a way to properly clean the underbody, and how often it should be done.

Thanks in advance

MattPersman
11-30-2017, 01:02 PM
Water will dilute salt. So yes you can just use a hose. I would do it as often as possible. While it may not be possible to get every single bit it will be better than no effort at all. They do make some products not sold here for marine/boat applications that remove salt. Think salt water boats that could be used on your car as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveT435
11-30-2017, 01:16 PM
Someone actually makes an inexpensive device made out of PVC that hooks up to your hose and slides under the car, the smaller holes drilled in the PVC increase spray pressure quite a bit. Someone on here actually made one, it's almost identical to the one found online, so I don't know if they patented the design and started marketing it, or if someone else did. I'll try to find the link. Since AG doesn't sell anything like it I assume it's ok to post the link...

I see there are a lot of them available now. Most pretty pricey, here is a link to the thread where the one on here was made. Pretty easy build.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-garage-accessories/88565-homemade-undercarriage-pvc-washer-non-pressure-washer.html

DBAILEY
11-30-2017, 01:23 PM
Karcher has an attachment for cleaning the underbody. You can use it to dispense the cleaning solution and then switch over to the high pressure spray. I think it is spinning wand with a nozzle on each end. It has wheels for sliding under the car and you can raise and lower the spinning wand to get it as close to the underside as possible.

zero4
11-30-2017, 02:04 PM
If you are driving once in awhile during the winter just to warm it up, I wouldn't bother. Don't drive it during the winter months. Better for the car.

E93to
11-30-2017, 02:17 PM
Ok... It's just come to my mind that I can just attach the sprinkler to the hose, and slide it under the car. My neighbors will look at me strangely though...

DaveT435
11-30-2017, 04:40 PM
Ok... It's just come to my mind that I can just attach the sprinkler to the hose, and slide it under the car. My neighbors will look at me strangely though...

lol ya think??

jmeyers278
11-30-2017, 10:33 PM

I do this after every wheeling trip in the jeep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk