PDA

View Full Version : Car Wash for the dirty

01AUDI
11-30-2017, 11:06 AM
I have a daily driver 4x4 that i use a lot to get to some hunting and fishing spots on the weekends. I ride back roads with lots of dust, the occasional mud pot holes, etc. I am not mud bogging or anything crazy, but when i get home its enough that i need to clean it up.

This may seem easy to some, but I know there are better products and processes to help me. If I go through the process of correcting, polishing, sealing.. and then go ride a back road and get all dusty with mud slung up on the fenders.. what do I do in order to not rub the dirt into the car and create marks and how do i take the dirt off without hurting the wax / sealant?

I currently have Meguiars Gold Class wash and that is the real reason I am asking this question, I used it the other day after getting some very light mud slung on the back bumper. The next day it dried and I washed the entire car down with the pressure washer, used the foam cannon, used my micro fiber mit, then one last wash down with the pressure washer. Most spots were great but some of the dirt reminded me of the bug problem i am having on my front grill.. it was still there !

so.. Are there better products that I can use specifically for dirt that i can use in the foam cannon; let it set and dissolve, then go through my washing / rinsing ? Or is there a better process.. or am i just out of luck and if i get it dirty then i need to re-wax? I am trying to get something that will not break down the wax / sealant so I can just do a wash and not have to re-seal every time. I am on these roads frequently so im trying to keep this as least time consuming as possible and not have to wax every other week.

BJackson8
11-30-2017, 11:40 AM
I would just rinse the mud off with the pressure washer then foam it up and wash like normal.

yakky
11-30-2017, 12:38 PM
I would just rinse the mud off with the pressure washer then foam it up and wash like normal.

Yep, a pressure washer will flush away all the gritty stuff and then you can wash it normally. If you don't have one already, don't spend a ton on one, the $75 ones on sale are just fine. They have a lifespan of 2-4 years and then it's time for a new one.

01AUDI
11-30-2017, 12:42 PM
That is the problem, I did use a pressure washer and it didn't take it all off. Maybe I could have gone over those spots again and gotten it all off, I was kinda just rushing this wash. I am usually at my cabin though and in the woods for a few days so the dirt and mud will have time to dry.
That's why i was hoping i could get a better recommendation than Gold Class (what im using now). I know their are better products than Gold Class and i need to find a good wash that will not only take off the most dirt and mud so it won't get caught in my towels, but something that will not strip my wax/sealant so i dont have to re wax. The answer may be that they all will do this, I am just new and have no idea and see 20 different products and can't figure out which is what I need.

DogRescuer
11-30-2017, 07:24 PM
Slow down with the washer it will remove anything unsafe for your paint. Pick up some Megs Hyper Wash and a soft was mitt.

pilotpip
11-30-2017, 07:49 PM
I have a daily driver 4x4 that i use a lot to get to some hunting and fishing spots on the weekends. I ride back roads with lots of dust, the occasional mud pot holes, etc. I am not mud bogging or anything crazy, but when i get home its enough that i need to clean it up.

This may seem easy to some, but I know there are better products and processes to help me. If I go through the process of correcting, polishing, sealing.. and then go ride a back road and get all dusty with mud slung up on the fenders.. what do I do in order to not rub the dirt into the car and create marks and how do i take the dirt off without hurting the wax / sealant?

I currently have Meguiars Gold Class wash and that is the real reason I am asking this question, I used it the other day after getting some very light mud slung on the back bumper. The next day it dried and I washed the entire car down with the pressure washer, used the foam cannon, used my micro fiber mit, then one last wash down with the pressure washer. Most spots were great but some of the dirt reminded me of the bug problem i am having on my front grill.. it was still there !

so.. Are there better products that I can use specifically for dirt that i can use in the foam cannon; let it set and dissolve, then go through my washing / rinsing ? Or is there a better process.. or am i just out of luck and if i get it dirty then i need to re-wax? I am trying to get something that will not break down the wax / sealant so I can just do a wash and not have to re-seal every time. I am on these roads frequently so im trying to keep this as least time consuming as possible and not have to wax every other week.

My truck is used the same way. Honestly, if you take the time to clean it up, and get a quality sealant on it, cleaning the dirt up after a weekend hunting trip will be easier. Don't waste your time with a traditional wax. It won't hold up. Use a good quality sealant, then a good soap and a little spray wax as you dry. I never need to use a pressure washer to get mud and gravel off mine. I'm a fan of the McKee's 37 line because it has a lot of bang for your buck, and is very easy to use.

The most annoying thing for me, is keeping the tires clean.

wing commander
11-30-2017, 10:50 PM
May be that it is getting stains from stuff in the mud? could just need a good bug and tar remover. https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-trix-paint-cleaner.html or https://www.autogeek.net/tarminator.html in those spots.