PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Wheel Coatings on matte wheels?

TMQ
11-30-2017, 08:05 AM
Did a search but couldn't find key information regarding coating Matte wheels.

I have on hand Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating. Can I use these on a matte wheels?

Tom

Desertnate
11-30-2017, 09:33 AM
This is only my educated guess, so use my input only as a data point. Hopefully more experienced people will provide input.

I would say it should be fine. This Spring, I applied CQuartz (the "normal" one, not UK) to my new set of OZ Racing wheels. They are a matte/satin medium gray color and the surface isn't as smooth as you'd find on wheels that are painted and clear coated. When applying the coating the only thing I noticed was the color darkened slightly. They didn't become shiny/glossy or any other change that would lead me to believe it harmed the finish.

Based on my observation, I'd think any coating should be pretty safe. However, I'd still try a tiny test spot in a low visibility area just to be sure.

FUNX650
11-30-2017, 09:53 AM
In order to keep matte automotive
surfaces/components as originally
matte as possible, I only use matte
specific automotive products on them.

Of course YMMV.

Bob

theblob640
11-30-2017, 11:00 AM
You should be fine. I have matte vinyl decals and powdercoated wheels (also matte) and I applied CQuartz to the decals and DLux to the wheels with no ill-harmed effects. Like Desertnate said, it just darkens it a little but as far as gloss goes, no change. Even the darkening effect doesn't last too long and they look like factory now. It just has a ton of water beading.

TMQ
11-30-2017, 11:03 AM
Thanks! Just what I needed to know..

Tom