PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Pro's, RE: Inner wheel cleaning/glue removal...?

Pages : [1] 2

Inthedeck
11-29-2017, 11:49 AM
Hey all, I have a quick question. I searched a bunch, but, couldn't find an answer.

I have a set of rims that came off my old car. The rims are a couple of years old, and in pretty darn good shape on the 'face' of the rim. It's the 'inside' that I want to figure out how to clean. Since the rim takes 'strip' type weights, each time they were balanced, the old strip was taken off, and a new one added where needed. Of course, this left behind the residue of the old glue from the previous weights. What's a good product to use to remove the stuck on glue/residue on the inside of the rim?

Thanks in advance,
MC

Desertnate
11-29-2017, 11:55 AM
I'm not a pro, but I've found a plastic razor blade and Stoner's Tarminator to be a great tool in removing all manner of adhesive left-overs.

Inthedeck
11-29-2017, 11:56 AM
Thanks, will look into it...I'd prefer to sell them in as new condition as possible...so, I'll give that a whirl. :)

JMak97008
11-29-2017, 11:59 AM
Hey all, I have a quick question. I searched a bunch, but, couldn't find an answer.

I have a set of rims that came off my old car. The rims are a couple of years old, and in pretty darn good shape on the 'face' of the rim. It's the 'inside' that I want to figure out how to clean. Since the rim takes 'strip' type weights, each time they were balanced, the old strip was taken off, and a new one added where needed. Of course, this left behind the residue of the old glue from the previous weights. What's a good product to use to remove the stuck on glue/residue on the inside of the rim?

Thanks in advance,
MC

I'm no pro, but here's my experience: I have 20" SRT8 wheels that had the same junk on it. Tried Goo-B-Gone and had very little effect. Tried undiluted APC and no effect. Also tried WD-40 'cuz why not. Then used 3M Adhesive Remover from the local parts store, now we were getting somewhere.

Sprayed the 3M on and tried using a plastic putty knife and was able to get some of the padding off, but not the sticky residue. Sprayed 3M and let it sit for 2-3 minutes and tried a plastic razor blade and that started to remove the residue. Finally, sprayed the 3M, let sit for 2-3 minutes, again, and then used a real razor blade.

Results: I removed the residue, but ended up leaving some scratches behind. My wheel barrels are not a smooth surface, but finely grooved and residue was stuck in there hard.

If you go this route, let the 3M dwell for several minutes. Maybe grind down and sand down to a fine edge a plastic putty knife and gently edge that the sticky crud up if the wheel barrel is smooth. If grooved like mine, then, well, be ultra careful...best I got for you, good luck!

74 thing
11-29-2017, 12:26 PM
3M adhesive remover is the best for this and a plastic razor and some patience. I have tried APC, WD-40, Goo Gone, Stoners Citrus Mold Release, and even brake cleaner and the 3m far outperformed everything else. You should be able to get it locally at an auto parts store or hardware store and they have it available at Autogeek as well.

Using a terry cloth towel with a decent nap really helps!

oneheadlite
11-29-2017, 12:26 PM
Speaking as a tech who does tires - I've had best luck with the 3M adhesive remover. Brake cleaner can work, but can be a bit aggressive for more sensitive finishes.

My approach - Soak a towel in the adhesive remover (I recommend wearing nitrile gloves) and apply to the adhesive stuck on the wheel. The goal is to get it to "sop up" the adhesive remover and loosen the foam part. You can then scrape it off with a plastic razor or even a towel and some determination. Repeat for the adhesive residue left over once you get the foam out of the way.

Depending how long it's been on there/type of weights they were, sometimes I've even been able to "roll" the adhesive off with my finger. If you've got a bunch of spots to clean, probably not the best approach for your hand's sake.

Inthedeck
11-29-2017, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. Will give it a whirl. :)

Paul A.
11-29-2017, 02:03 PM
3M Adhesive Remover is my favorite as well but I've also used Acetone and a Q-Tip. Same affect. I douse the q-tip in the 3M (or acetone) and run it around and onto the old adhesive mark. Let it sit a bit and douse it again then I use a terry type towel and rub away.

I also like to cover the new weight if its near the old adhesive residue...I don't want to let the 3M or acetone touch the new adhesive and run the chance of throwing a wheel weight while driving.

Inthedeck
11-29-2017, 03:25 PM
Thanks Paul...looks like 3M may be the winner, here. There are no tires on the rims, so, I'm pretty sure once they are picked up by someone, they'll need new weights anyway, so, I won't worry about the ones that are on there. ;)

Appreciate all the insight...from pro's, non-pro's, alike. :)

SWETM
11-29-2017, 04:14 PM
I use a tar and glue remover and one that gets like a gel when sprayed. Let it dwell for over 5min but not let it dry. If you see it become dry apply a little more. After 5min or a bit more I take a toothbrush and aggitate the edges and a little on it. I use a power wash at very close distance and spray it of. If you don't have a pw use something plastic material to get the most of. Useally now is the most of and I apply once more the tar and glue remover and let it dwell as the first time. Aggitate it again and scop up the residue with a mf cloth. If not all gets of repeat it till it's gone. If it's really stubborn you can let a soaked part of the mf cloth on the spot and let it dwell for 10min or more to the glue has desolved. Just don't let it dry and finish with a wash to get the tar and glue remover rinsed away. 3m is a good product to use.

FrankS
11-29-2017, 09:23 PM
I’ve used 3M Adhesive Remover for glue residue and though it was pretty good I actually found Stoners Xenit to work better in my experience.

LEDetailing
11-29-2017, 10:21 PM
All good advice. Also adding heat from a heat gun or blow dryer helps soften up the adhesive. Still need a good adhesive remover after softening the adhesive.

Use caution with heat guns. Especially around rubber, do not let the wheel get too hot. Just warm enough to start making removal easier. Never use flammable liquids around the heat gun.

Inthedeck
11-29-2017, 10:25 PM
I don't really need a ton of product for this, so, I'll get the smallest size I can find. Thanks for all the tips and products. I'll get them all cleaned up, and hopefully, they'll find a new home, soon. :)

Paul A.
11-29-2017, 10:43 PM
Another great tip, LED, I forgot heat helps too. Just like debadging, a heat gun or blow dryer used JUDICIOUSLY helps soften it up and make it more pliable.

I wish posts like these could be summarized and stickied with the consensus points bulleted. For example...

Wheel weight residue removal:

1. heat it up carefully with a heat gun or blow dryer
2. Using nitrile gloves, take an old towel or paper towel and soak it with adhesive remover (3M, Xenit, Stoners Tar Remover, Acetone or your favorite) and lay it on the residue. Don't let it dry! Keep it moist and wet. If the current balancing weight is close bg, avoid getting it wet with remover product.
3. Take a plastic razor blade, old terry towel, Q-tip (soaked in adhesive remover from #2), old tooth brush (youngest child's from the house works best as you can simply blame the older sibling) or your favorite removal tool and carefully work the residue until it's gone. May take several applications.
4. CLEAN wheel thoroughly to remove any residual adhesive or removal product.

Or...

5. Just grab an eraser wheel and substitute for 1 through 4. (Sorry, Zack, just playin' witcha!).

Sorry if I missed some tips here or there but you get the jist.

zmcgovern45
11-29-2017, 10:58 PM
Honestly... I've found eraser wheels to be the absolute quickest and easiest way to completely remove this type of residue. I used to soak with all sorts of solvents... but it makes a mess and still takes a while. The eraser wheel is quick, easy, and not messy.