PDA

View Full Version : Autogeek Forum Members Essential Detailing List

JMak97008
11-28-2017, 02:12 AM
I've bought a variety of products over the last year to round out my weekend warrior detailing supply rack, yet, I routinely find as I am reading threads here that I am missing something (Griot's 16x16 mf towels, for example) or have a product that isn't quite up to the task (Megs Gold Class Leather Cleaner/Conditioner). So, I've been thinking about what an essentials list would look like for the ordinary weekend/garage detailer that would address 90% or more of the exterior and interior things he is confronted with.

I was a Megs guy, then got a Griot's DA polisher and became a GG guy, but have gone back to Megs products now. I feel pretty comfortable with the exterior products I have:

Megs U Wash and Wax
Griot's Clay and QD
Megs UC
Megs UP
Megs UW
Megs Last Step
Megs U Quik Detailer
Megs U Quik Wax
Megs All Season Dressing (tires, trim, etc)
Mothers Back-to-Black
Griot's HD Wheel Cleaner
Griot's Engine Cleaner
Megs APC

CG Chenille/MF washing mitts

Daytona brushes (large and small)
Mother Tire Brush
No-name long handle, soft bristle brush

Assorted GG red and orange foam pads (6" and 5", will soon add 3")
Assorted MF towels (aforementioned GG MFs, Megs black MFs, and the junky Home Depot MFs that I want to replace with Costco's MFs if those are any good)
CG tire dressing applicator pads (the Eagle 1s from the local auto parts store suck)

On the interior side, I have some Megs Gold Class Leather Cleaner/Conditioner (I don't have much faith in this stuff) and Megs interior plastic, vinyl, trim shine stuff. I'll use a well-diluted solution of Megs APC for the sill covers and any other plastic surface that needs cleaning and for the carpet.

I'm getting a Little Green Machine this week to help with the carpet cleaning duties.

I'm still wavering on whether to get a foam gun...I think I will if only to get my kids involved.

So...now that I've written all of this out, it sure seems like a lot of products. Can I reduce my supplies and still maintain my vehicles well?

Am I missing a crucial, must-have item:

CarPro Iron-X?
Megs D166 AIO?
Megs D156?
Megs Car Wash Plus?

What does today's essential list look like?

Desertnate
11-28-2017, 08:58 AM
As long as you have what you need for your level of detailing, you should be good. Everyone's needs are a little different.

My advice is to not get so hung up on only one product line for all of your products. By not diversifying, you really limit yourself and are missing some true gems. I don't think one vendor has the best of every type of product and different products work well in different conditions. Polishes on certain types of paint and plastic/trim protectants on some types of plastic are the best examples which come to mind.

A couple examples I've recently encountered from personal experience:
- Polishes: In the past, I've always used Meguiars UP/UC on my cars with soft paint and the Blackfire SRC polishes with harder paint. This fall I had to correct a Honda and decided to test on the Blackfire SRC Polish beside the UP. The Blackfire corrected just as well, but finished out much better than UP. Polishes are the only Blackfire products I own.

- Car Wash Soap: I've been on a journey to find a product I really liked. After trying several I recently tried Optimum's Car Wash and was blown away by how much I liked it. Optimum doesn't really have any other products in their lineup I really want/need, but I would have missed a really great product if I hadn't diversified my inventory.

JMak97008
11-28-2017, 10:22 AM
As long as you have what you need for your level of detailing, you should be good. Everyone's needs are a little different.

My advice is to not get so hung up on only one product line for all of your products. By not diversifying, you really limit yourself and are missing some true gems. I don't think one vendor has the best of every type of product and different products work well in different conditions. Polishes on certain types of paint and plastic/trim protectants on some types of plastic are the best examples which come to mind.

A couple examples I've recently encountered from personal experience:
- Polishes: In the past, I've always used Meguiars UP/UC on my cars with soft paint and the Blackfire SRC polishes with harder paint. This fall I had to correct a Honda and decided to test on the Blackfire SRC Polish beside the UP. The Blackfire corrected just as well, but finished out much better than UP. Polishes are the only Blackfire products I own.

- Car Wash Soap: I've been on a journey to find a product I really liked. After trying several I recently tried Optimum's Car Wash and was blown away by how much I liked it. Optimum doesn't really have any other products in their lineup I really want/need, but I would have missed a really great product if I hadn't diversified my inventory.

Thanks, Nate. I think this is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Advice to diversify, but also ideas on different products. You've given me an idea to now assess whether the paint on my personal vehicles and friend's vehicles is hard or soft and whether my current products will address that.

I've only used Megs Wash & Wax and Gold Class soap and just last night was looking for other products...seems I'll be looking harder at Optimum, Poor Boys, and Hyperwash.

Cruzscarwash
11-28-2017, 10:26 AM
everyones essentials are different, you already have 3x more product then I use on daily cars. Im a big fan of off label uses for products so if one thing can be used for 4 tasks I get that over 4 dedicated products, saves me time and money but get the same outcome.

my daily cart has

megs d114 in a waterless solution
megs d114 in a strong 1-310z spray bottle
megs xpress spray wax
megs hyper dressing
megs UFF

that's it, I don't use anything else for daily details

my polishing bag has the following

GG6-5inch vented backing plate
10 pads- 8 primary and 2 secondary
pad brush
blackfire pad cleaning spray
boars hair brush in 2 sizes
AIO polish, fast correcting cream and a polish of the day
as many MF rags as I can stuff in it
50ft extension cord

JMak97008
11-28-2017, 10:31 AM
everyones essentials are different, you already have 3x more product then I use on daily cars. Im a big fan of off label uses for products so if one thing can be used for 4 tasks I get that over 4 dedicated products, saves me time and money but get the same outcome.

my daily cart has

megs d114 in a waterless solution
megs d114 in a strong 1-310z spray bottle
megs xpress spray wax
megs hyper dressing
megs UFF

that's it, I don't use anything else for daily details

my polishing bag has the following

GG6-5inch vented backing plate
10 pads- 8 primary and 2 secondary
pad brush
blackfire pad cleaning spray
boars hair brush in 2 sizes
AIO polish, fast correcting cream and a polish of the day
as many MF rags as I can stuff in it
50ft extension cord

Ah, yes, another thing I was looking for without knowing it...how or which products can be used for multiple purposes. I think since I am still learning, I haven't become familiar enough with products to understand that they may be used safely and effectively for other tasks. For example, I was reading here last night about using an Adams wheel cleaner, I think, on the car's paint.

I think hyperwash (the economy seems great), an AIO (because personal cars are in good shape and speed up the process) and express spray wax (again, economy) is next on my list of purchases.

Paul A.
11-28-2017, 11:03 AM
Nate and Cruz think like I do.

What I've done in the past (and continue periodically) is to basically categorize every step of a full detail. Then define my favorite product (or products) for each task. A great point I agree with is cross utilization of the same product for multiple applications.

The fun part for me over recent years is to define my "favorite" products. Having done that I have reduced the overall inventory and replenish here at AG as I need.

Basically, look at every step of your FULL details and write them down. Then write next to them your favorite product(s).

Desertnate
11-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Thanks, Nate. I think this is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Advice to diversify, but also ideas on different products. You've given me an idea to now assess whether the paint on my personal vehicles and friend's vehicles is hard or soft and whether my current products will address that.

I've only used Megs Wash & Wax and Gold Class soap and just last night was looking for other products...seems I'll be looking harder at Optimum, Poor Boys, and Hyperwash.

I feel there are far better car soaps out there than Gold Class. I used it for a very long time before "seeing the light", and I've not looked back since. Some might be a little more expensive, but you can get very good soaps without going too extreame.

When you're ready to branch out, do some searches here on "Favorite X product". There have been some very long threads with all sorts of suggestions and recommendations. While a huge variety of products will be discussed, normally and handful will appear as the forum favorites. From there, look at price and what that vendors product offers to figure out what to purchase.

Desertnate
11-28-2017, 11:48 AM
Nate and Cruz think like I do.

What I've done in the past (and continue periodically) is to basically categorize every step of a full detail. Then define my favorite product (or products) for each task. A great point I agree with is cross utilization of the same product for multiple applications.

The fun part for me over recent years is to define my "favorite" products. Having done that I have reduced the overall inventory and replenish here at AG as I need.

Basically, look at every step of your FULL details and write them down. Then write next to them your favorite product(s).

Spot on. You nailed it.

To continue this thought, get the smallest sizes possible when on your hunt for a product for each step. Only get large quantities when you find something you really like.

Years ago I started off with a Poorboys sampler. Those samples allowed me to try 4~5 products all at once with just enough product for one or two uses. That lead to larger purchase afterwards when I was confident I liked it. I also tried several different wheel cleaners in the smallest bottles possible until I found one I liked and only then did I start buying gallon jugs.

dlc95
11-28-2017, 05:49 PM
• Optimum No Rinse for the multitude of things it can be used with.
• NanoSkin Clay Sponge fine grade
• Meguiar's D101 All Purpose Cleaner.
• Quality wash media/drying towels.
• Wheel/wheel well brushes
• Meguiar's Supreme Shine towels
• Porter Cable 7424xp
• Lake Country 3", and 5" d/a backing plates
• Menzerna MC2500 polish
• Duragloss 101 cleaner sealant
• 4 Lake Country Tangerine Hydrotech 5.5", and 3"
• 2 Lake Country Crimson Hydrotech 5.5", and 3"
• Duragloss Aquawax for post wash maintenance.

This is assuming they are just maintaining their own vehicle.

If wanting to do more, I'd add:
• Menzerna SF3500 Polish
• Menzerna FG400
• Extra Lake Country Crimson Hydrotech pads (for the dg501 aio)
• 4 Lake Country 5.5" and 3" Cyan Hydrotech pads
• 4 Lake Country 5.5", and 3" microfiber cutting pads
• Duragloss 111 sealant
• Duragloss 501 (heavier cleaner sealant).

If he's just maintaining his own car, the MC2500, and DG 101 are nice because the 2500 can really take care of some defects, but finishes out really clean and glossy. The Duragloss 101 is actually very effective at taking care of wash marring, while imparting very durable protection. If done right, he might only need the 2500 annually, or bi-annually. The 101 should be able to keep the finish clean, clear, and protected.

JMak97008
11-29-2017, 06:56 PM
Another item to add - an ipa product? I've never used one and normally don't do anything between polishing and waxing/sealant. Is an ipa wipe necessary between those two steps? Does it depend on the polish being used? How would I tell?

Is an ipa product the way to go or can I simply used diluted alcohol?

BudgetPlan1
11-29-2017, 07:26 PM
Gyeon Foam
Gyeon Bathe
Non-AG SiO2 Booster

Jescar Compound and Polish
Megs M101, 205 & D300
HD Polish+
Scholl S20 Black & S40
Sonax Perfect Finish
Menzerna 2400

Rupes yellow & white pads
Megs Microfiber Cutting discs
LC Force Hybrid pads
Scholl spider pads

Gyeon Prep
Sonax Fallout Remover

jmeyers278
11-29-2017, 08:42 PM
beginning to end for full wash

2 bucket cart with 2 5 gallon buckets and grit guards
microfiber wash mitts with cuffs cut off
wheel brush
reset
uber for drying aid
MT Tsunami Drying towel (my fav so far)
green juice (Ech2o plus reload) for detail wipe of everything...paint, trim, windows, wheels, everything.
tire dressing of choice....I haven't found one I love. I really love the way the griots aerosol tire shine looks but no matter how long you leave it sit it slings
Griot's Interior Detailer
Chemical Guy's glass cleaner

Rinseless Wash
Uber in a bucket with a ton of microfiber towels for Garry Dean wash method and gold plush jrs for the drying towels
then all the other stuff

Correction stuff
Rupes 15es
thin pro pads
HD Speed for a one step
menz 300, 400, 2500, 3500 for a multi step
IPA
WDGPS
Mckee's Hi-Intensity APC

This list changes a lot but this is my favorite stuff right now

JMak97008
11-30-2017, 01:13 AM
beginning to end for full wash

2 bucket cart with 2 5 gallon buckets and grit guards

Yes! I've been wanting that 2-bucket cart. I also need to get a rolling stool, preferably one with a couple bottle holders.