PDA

View Full Version : Body shop safe products...

Pages : [1] 2

TMQ
11-27-2017, 11:46 AM
I may need to do a wheel job inside the wash bay at a body shop. Shop owner asked if the products I plan to use are silicone free.

Duh...haven't thought of that. So how does one know if product contains silicone or not??

Tom

osiapstndp
11-27-2017, 02:20 PM
A ton of products say "body shop safe" and are "silicone free" on the bottle or on their web page on Auto Geek. Which products are you thinking about using? What kind of job are you going to do to the wheels?

TMQ
11-27-2017, 08:16 PM
I have seen some products saying they're body shop safe. What I need to find out/and or learn how find what stuff are in what products just so I know what is what in different products.

As for the wheels---plan to wash with soap, use sonax wheel cleaner to remove brake dust, hit the tire once with tuff shine tire cleaner, and then finish off tire again with rubber rejuvenator, clean wheels with Blackfire coat paint prep to prep for coating and then coat wheels with pinnacle black diamond wheel coating and McKee's tire coating...

Owner said if shop gets messed up---he'll send me a bill for all damages to shop!!!

This got me thinking---I need to "know how" to find/get information regarding silicone in various different products and to protect myself with proof of what were in the products.

The only thing off top my head---silicone generally are found in tire, trim dressing and possible in some waxes and sealants. I'm not sure tho...

Tom

TMQ
11-27-2017, 08:55 PM
Is there such a chart available like the link below from Meguires?

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?39257-Body-Shop-Safe-or-Not#LlejO77BylkQ436D.97

tom

LSNAutoDetailing
11-27-2017, 09:05 PM
Tom, I'm confused, and perhaps naive... Is the shop owner afraid of sling getting on his paint work? If you're doing wheels, what does the shop owner care what you use?
Most of the 3D Products are body-shop safe.

TMQ
11-27-2017, 09:42 PM
Once silicone is used at a body shop or becomes air borne---it screws up the whole place for couple of weeks or so. If they see funny stuff on wheels---they make owners remove tire dressing before bringing in their cars for repair work.

That is why it is important to know which stuff is body shop safe. Or at least know which product doesn't contain silicone.

In worst case---I'll just stay where I am at (another place) and do the wash/prep wheels outside in the cold rather than taking the wheels to the body shop where they have an inside wash bay which is heated and much warmer.

Cold weather does get in the way of getting things done with water!

Tom

TMQ
11-27-2017, 09:48 PM
More importantly---How do I find information about the products I am using?

Labels on bottles do not list what's in the product.

Tom

custmsprty
11-27-2017, 09:50 PM
SDS Sheets

TMQ
11-28-2017, 05:21 AM
SDS Sheets

Thanks.

Tom

JKDesign
11-28-2017, 09:13 AM
With newer paint technologies/chemicals this is really more of a non issue these days. It would really only be an issue if you were using cheap, greasy dressings.

Heisenberg
11-28-2017, 09:58 AM
Owner said if shop gets messed up---he'll send me a bill for all damages to shop!!!

hey Tom, not sure if you already know this gentleman or not from previous dealings, but this sort of thing is a red flag for people when I'm potentially doing business with them. I'm overly cautious, but it sure sounds like he would be quick to point a finger at you for things that may not be within your control or even caused by you.

I of course don't know the guy at all so it could be his way of joking around, but that's a bold statement to say to someone. Make sure you cover yourself!

DBAILEY
11-28-2017, 11:20 AM
As for the wheels---plan to wash with soap, use sonax wheel cleaner to remove brake dust, hit the tire once with tuff shine tire cleaner, and then finish off tire again with rubber rejuvenator, clean wheels with Blackfire coat paint prep to prep for coating and then coat wheels with pinnacle black diamond wheel coating and McKee's tire coating...
Tom

None of those products should be a problem. Its all cleaners and 2 coatings. McKee's tire coating would be the only one that would be a mystery really. I know it is some type of flexible acrylic substance and doubt if it had silicone in it based on how clean McKee's expects the tire to be prior to application. If you were to polish the wheel faces then the 3D polishes would be a good choice as already mentioned.

FUNX650
11-28-2017, 12:11 PM
•Not (yet):
-being 100% assured of the “Bodyshop
safeness” of the tire/wheel products you
mentioned you will be using; and, being
duly forewarned by this Bodyshop’s owner,
as you also mentioned;

•Then:
-unless the Bodyshop’s owner were to
supply/recommend all of the detailing
products that he deems is safe to use in
his Shop—that of which must also meet
or exceed your particular Coating criteria...

-I, personally, sure wouldn’t perform any
type of detailing processes anywhere near
this Bodyshop’s premises.

Bob

kb2ehj
11-28-2017, 12:55 PM
More importantly---How do I find information about the products I am using?

Tom

Really?? Contact the company

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Heisenberg
11-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Really?? Contact the company

Many companies I've asked are hesitant about releasing SDS sheets or other information unless you can prove to them you are a full-fledged shop and have a need for them. It's a valid question to ask.

Also, not everybody knows exactly what to do the first time they are faced with an issue. You don't have to be snarky or act somehow amazed that someone would ask a question.