PDA

View Full Version : Pads that don't absorb

Cruzscarwash
11-27-2017, 12:48 AM
Are the hydro tech pads the only ones that don't absorb?? And if so is it only the red?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

BudgetPlan1
11-27-2017, 11:19 AM
I think it's all closed cell pads that don't absorb much. I thought closed cell were recommended by some for DAT polishes...

Cruzscarwash
11-27-2017, 11:20 AM
I think it's all closed cell pads that don't absorb much. I thought closed cell were recommended by some for DAT polishes...I'm thinking the same thing you are but just trying to make sure, I've been reading the description of many pads but only the hydrotech one stated such that I recall

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

MattyL
11-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Buff 'n Shine's Uro-cell pads are also closed-cell pads that come in a simple cutting (blue), polishing (orange), and finishing (red) format, and are purportedly designed to absorb less product.

I am partial to the red Uros for finishing. The orange pads cuts slightly less than the LC Tangerine Hydrotech (HT) pads in my limited usage of them. Not enough time with the blue pad to render a thorough comparison to the Cyan HT (which is a superb cutting pad IMHO). The blue Uros are prone to the same shedding issues as the Cyan HTs when coming into contact with protrusions, edges, etc. All closed-cell pads will hold up just fine if you take some care and avoid these protrusions, though.

I have not heard such claims from any manufacturers regarding the synergy of closed cell pads and DAT polishes, only that LC Hydrotech pads are supposed to work best with water-based abrasives, as opposed to solvent-based. M101 (solvent-based) has worked terrific for me on a Cyan Hydrotech pad on many occasions, however.

dlc95
11-27-2017, 01:57 PM
Hydrotech, and Buff and Shine Euro-Cell.

All of the foams in those lines resist product absorption by keeping all the good stuff on the surface. If you haven't tried them out yet, give them a shot.

The only real drawback is the durability. The trade off for the increased cut/finish is that the tend to wear faster, but they're oh so worth it for me.

I had a GMC Terrain - blacked, and pretty wiped out. I cut with D300 on a megs cutting disc. This process hazed the daylights out of the paint, but was needed to for the cut. I tried to finish with D301 on the megs mf finishing disc - no dice. Still had d/a haze.

From there went to M205 on the blue Buff and Shine... Still d/a haze/tick marks. This was a first for me not having M205 finish out. Tried it on a Black B&S finishing, and an orange Euro-Cell polishing... so many different speeds, passes, pressures and amounts of liquid and using the PC 7424 - no dice. I couldn't get M205 to finish out on that car for some reason. It was a first for me.

I go to Menzerna PF2500 on the blue Buff and Shine - good enough, but when I switched to a Tangerine Hydrotech.... That was it. Pure perfection.

While the sides needed compounding. PF2500 was enough to get the top of the car in excellent condition. I also feel I get more gloss with the Tangerine Hydrotech as well.

The LC Hydrotech are by far my favorite, pads for the 8mm random orbitals. I use other pads more, but like these best.