PDA

View Full Version : Are slightly crumbling wax applicator pads bad for the paint job?

prr
11-24-2017, 12:16 PM
I do have 3 applicator pads that have come with synthetic wax purchases. I also have a skinny old pad that looks years old. In small parts towards the middle of the pad, it is starting to crumble away.

Are these light pieces that come off, bad for the paint? They of course are going to be very soft, but I recall reading someone say that they can still scratch the paint, as on a molecular level (if that's the right phrase) the material can cause a scratch.

I do like to keep a backup around, in case I accidentally drop a pad.

Would this old pad be ok to use as a very occasional backup? Or am I at risk of scratching the paint?

Rsurfer
11-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Toss it!!!!

FUNX650
11-24-2017, 03:41 PM
I’ve used applicators, such as you have
described—some that are even in worse
shape—to apply tire and trim dressings.

Bob

SWETM
11-24-2017, 04:11 PM
IMO it's not worth it to use them. Get a package of them and have new as backup. Use common sense is what I try to do. If you clean them well after first use you could get a couple of uses out of them. But if you see them degrade then use them för something else or toss them. For me it's calming to use products on the car that is fresh and I'm not worried about to mess with me.