PDA

View Full Version : Scrrrrrrrrrape! (What are my options?)

FoolishFox
11-22-2017, 04:35 PM

There it is folks. Took a right turn into a parking garage -- cut it too tight -- brick wall scraped it up pretty good.

I've gotten 3 quotes now from local and independent auto body shops. They all came in around the same price: ~$1,000.

I could spend it. But I'd rather not. So...

What if I didn't care about looks? What if all I cared about was preventing rust? (I live in Maryland. WINTER IS COMING.)

I have accident forgiveness. My deductible for collision is $500.

Before I take the plunge and just pay for it, I thought I would consult the best on the net.

What should I do?

KirkH
11-22-2017, 04:52 PM
Wash, clay bar, and then polish and see if you can live with it. Do you have a polisher? If not a Porter Cable 7424xp package with pads and accessories is on sale. Take a shot.

Dr. Colorchip for touch up paint if you want it to really match or just get car shop touchup if not.

KirkH
11-22-2017, 05:44 PM
Here’s my instructions for trying to fix the wheel scuffs:

Using a Dremel tool and attachment #952 Cone Shaped Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stone, grind down the burrs the best you can. it does not have to be perfect, just rounded off the best you can.

Change attachments to the #413 Sanding disc and now try to shape it to the best of your ability.

Get a package of wheel filler and a can or tube of wheel paint and sealer/clear coat at the auto box store.

Build up the areas that need it with the filler. Let it dry and sand with 1500 grit sandpaper. Clean and paint and seal.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

jmeyers278
11-22-2017, 05:50 PM
Here’s my instructions for trying to fix the wheel scuffs:

Using a Dremel tool and attachment #952 Cone Shaped Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stone, grind down the burrs the best you can. it does not have to be perfect, just rounded off the best you can.

Change attachments to the #413 Sanding disc and now try to shape it to the best of your ability.

Get a package of wheel filler and a can or tube of wheel paint and sealer/clear coat at the auto box store.

Build up the areas that need it with the filler. Let it dry and sand with 1500 grit sandpaper. Clean and paint and seal.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Great tips!...I just screen shotted this for me in the future. The op has wheel covers though so I would just recommend grabbing a new one

FoolishFox
11-22-2017, 06:03 PM
Hey Kirk,

Thanks for the tips. If I follow the instructions in your first post -- will that prevent rust?

jmeyers278
11-22-2017, 06:38 PM
Hey Kirk,

Thanks for the tips. If I follow the instructions in your first post -- will that prevent rust?

If you get something, whether it be touch up paint, clear, sealant, etc on all exposed metal then yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LSNAutoDetailing
11-22-2017, 06:41 PM
As Kirk states, if you said it was the siding of the house, that would be fairly easy... when you said brick wall... not so easy.
If it was siding most of that would have been paint transfer, but in your case it's rock transfer...

If that is down to the bare metal you going to want to get that fixed before winter comes or that will all just turn to rust if it truly is down to bare metal. If it were me... off to a reputable body shop.

KirkH
11-22-2017, 08:11 PM
Great tips!...I just screen shotted this for me in the future. The op has wheel covers though so I would just recommend grabbing a new one

Thanks. I couldnt tell from the pic on my phone. Thats my normal cut & paste for wheel jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

MattPersman
11-22-2017, 09:10 PM
1000 doesn’t sound unreasonable you could try to sand it some and use a spray can from automotive touch up. Although it looks like Barcelona red and it may be pretty hard to match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEDetailing
11-22-2017, 09:46 PM
I’d invest in a cheap airbrush and try my hand at touching up the damage.

I have no experience with airbrushing, but it looks like fun. I’d watch some YouTube videos and see how the pros touch up this type of damage.

tw05
11-22-2017, 10:07 PM
How handy are you FoolishFox? If you can prep your car (strip it of trim and such) you can save yourself around half the amount you were quoted by using discount shops such as Maaco. You will need to wet sand to remove orange peel and then reassemble on your own.

Two local to me Maaco's use Nason bc/cc and blend in the paint properly. They do work for one of the larger used car dealership chains in the area and have a full lot of 1-3 year old cars getting touched up (front end rock chips mainly) for the purpose of resale.

Know that not all Maaco shops produce decent work since they are independently owned. Walk around to the garage bays and check their work in progress first hand. Good luck!