PDA

View Full Version : Stripping Collinite Fleet Wax

chris11le
11-22-2017, 01:56 PM
This weekend Im going to finish my Gloss Coat application. I had done everything except the hood since I planned on having a clear bra applied. For the hood I used Collinite FleetWax, but now I need to strip it off before applying the Gloss Coat.

What is my best option to strip it? Poor planning :( means I don't have anything like Optimum Paint Prep on hand. I do have Optimum PowerClean, though.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

The Guz
11-22-2017, 02:14 PM
You could polish it off. That will ensure it is completely gone.

osiapstndp
11-22-2017, 04:32 PM
This weekend Im going to finish my Gloss Coat application. I had done everything except the hood since I planned on having a clear bra applied. For the hood I used Collinite FleetWax, but now I need to strip it off before applying the Gloss Coat.

What is my best option to strip it? Poor planning :( means I don't have anything like Optimum Paint Prep on hand. I do have Optimum PowerClean, though.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

I also suggest that polishing it off is a good idea. It may be the most expeditious way to remove the protection.

Additionally, if you want to apply Optimum Gloss Coat you will have to remove whatever oils are left on the surface, which means using a panel wipe/paint prep type of product. You mentioned that you don't have the Optimum prep product. Do you have something else to ensure a bare surface prior to installing the coating?

howardm4
11-22-2017, 05:20 PM
great video on removal.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkeS_GrCRp8

chris11le
11-22-2017, 05:38 PM
Thanks everyone.

I was hoping to avoid polishing but that looks like the easiest/most effective way.

Im using Optimum HyperPolish so technically I could go from that to Gloss Coat with just a damp microfiber wipedown, but I do the microfiber wipedown followed by an IPA wipedown and then I apply the Gloss Coat. That process has worked fine for the rest of the truck (after an initial mishap) so Ill stick with that here too.

Thanks again.

-Chris

Klasse Act
11-22-2017, 06:43 PM
I love hyper polish, its such a great product!

Ray6712
11-22-2017, 07:26 PM
Use purple power vehicle and boat wash foam the car down or wash it twice, the soaps not ph neutral it’s not acidic either but it’s very strong should strip almost all waxed and sealants off with ease and proceed from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WillSports3
11-23-2017, 08:18 AM
If you plan on applying a coating, you have to polish, period. Even a brand new car needs a light polish if you're going to coat so if you've applied a wax, you definitely have to polish.

Eldorado2k
11-23-2017, 08:21 AM
If you plan on applying a coating, you have to polish, period. Even a brand new car needs a light polish if you're going to coat so if you've applied a wax, you definitely have to polish.

They don't polish vehicles before applying their so called 5yr. coatings at dealerships, right? I'm pretty certain they clay but not polish unless absolutely necessary.

chris11le
11-23-2017, 10:15 AM
Thanks everyone.

The truck has already been corrected, but it looks like Collinite stuff is so durable the best way to make sure its gone is to polish it. Not sure Im comfortable with the Purple Power stuff on my paint, so Ill hit the area with HyperPolish and a white (or even just a finishing) pad.

The HyperPolish is such a joy to work with, it makes me wonder why I didnt try it sooner and what Im going to do with all the other polishes I have :)

WillSports3
11-23-2017, 01:26 PM
Well that's why you also shouldn't get the 5 year sealants they sell at dealerships.