PDA

View Full Version : New single stage paint but winter-cold weather and rain

74 thing
11-21-2017, 09:53 AM
I recently was involved in an accident and the whole front clip of my car had to be repainted. It was painted in bc/cc-Dupont. This is my daily driver and so I need it to commute to and from work. As I have read it is important to let new paint cure/outgas for at least 30-60 days before putting any protection on the paint. What can I use in the meantime to allow the paint to breathe and cure while not allowing it to water spot etc. from the elements. I understand 105/205 are bodyshop safe and I can use those to polish now if need be, correct?

***Correction to the title**** I just spoke with the bodyshop and they are spraying with BC/CC and using Dupont. I will ask if the paint was cured in the booth. Still the same concerns with water/environmental spotting before I can put some protection on the paint. Thanks!

TMQ
11-21-2017, 10:25 AM
Others will chime in but I'll say just wait 30 days and let paint set up. Then you can correct removing spots, other contaminates and protect all at once.

Tom

1Shopteacher
11-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your accident. If the collision repair facility your vehicle was repaired at has a "Curing" paint booth, i.e. it uses heat of at least 140 degrees to cure the paint then you have nothing to worry about. Once the new finish has been subjected to that heat for at least 40 minutes the activator (hardner) has cross linked with the paint and the solvents assuming it was painted with a solvent borne paint have evaporated. If you are still worried about it give it a week then apply what ever wax you want.

TMQ
11-21-2017, 10:54 AM
Ditto what Shopteacher said...

I'd be comfortable slapping on a wax a week after getting it home. Then when spring/warmer weather arrives---you can do a full correction.

Tom