PDA

View Full Version : Best polish to use before ceramic coating?

Pages : 1 [2]

Klasse Act
11-19-2017, 03:21 PM
Why not buy something Griot's paint prep and make it easy on yourself?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
11-19-2017, 03:25 PM
Why not buy something Griot's paint prep and make it easy on yourself?

Actually, using a mixture of IPA would make it easier on yourself.
Don't have to buy because there's probably a bottle of IPA in your medicine cabinet.
Don't have to wait a week for a package to arrive.
Don't have to pay for shipping.

How's buying Griots Paint Prep making it easier? Lol.

MikeC78
11-19-2017, 03:50 PM
The only problem with IPA is inducing any micromarrring on soft paint. I do not have this issue when compared to using Eraser on softer paint.

Eldorado2k
11-19-2017, 04:00 PM
The only problem with IPA is inducing any micromarrring on soft paint. I do not have this issue when compared to using Eraser on softer paint.

True, but barring soft paint, it doesn't get much simpler than mixing up some IPA.

Klasse Act
11-19-2017, 04:14 PM
Actually, using a mixture of IPA would make it easier on yourself.
Don't have to buy because there's probably a bottle of IPA in your medicine cabinet.
Don't have to wait a week for a package to arrive.
Don't have to pay for shipping.

How's buying Griots Paint Prep making it easier? Lol.Well, I already have it in stock, LOL[emoji889]

rotts4u
10-11-2020, 10:39 AM
Yeah they do. But since he is ready to start polishing then if it were me I would just use what he has on hand. Sounds like this is a weekend project that he wants to get done this weekend.

Posting this from the sister site from a member that had issues with Essence and GTechniq.

Holy Sheet hood test is DONE- RIP (https://www.autopia.org/forums/detailing-product-reviews/188613-holy-sheet-hood-test-rip.html?highlight=)

Use what you have and next time you can invest in one of the prep sprays. IPA should be just fine.

Here Is my experience with Carpro Essence. Even using Carpro Quartz I had issues and re coated the vehicle today.

I have been using coatings for about 5-6 years. At first I used Optimum Gloss Coat and did all my personal cars and my parents cars etc and had great luck about 18 months on daily drivers and on my moms car it is still going great at 3 years but she only has 12,000 miles (she`s 89).

I recently decided to change and try Car Pro Cquartz for no particular reason, I actually ordered Uk Edition but it was mixed up and I got Cquartz then I also used Gloss on top. Here are the exact steps I took on two vehicles a few weeks a part. I also did this same process on a brand new vehicle about 4 months ago except I didn`t polish it with Essence because it was new and didn`t require any correction.

Wash with Reset,
Iron X
Wash
Tar X Bottom panels only.
rinse
Spray with detailer spray and clay bar.
Dry
Polish with Car Pro Essense
IPA Wipe Down
Cquartz. 2 layers on hood only
Wait and hour and top with Gliss
Wait one hour and wipe down with Reload.

The vehicle which is a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee (burgundy ) stayed inside a garage for a day or two and was driven as normal.
As soon as the first rain came I noted that the beading wasn`t that great but after washing it came back a bit. But its NOTHING like my new Ram 1500 that has the exact product on it and same steps. I have washed it a few times and each time the beading is worse and worse.

Mike Phillips
10-12-2020, 08:33 AM
Here Is my experience with Carpro Essence. Even using Carpro Quartz I had issues and re coated the vehicle today.

Just to note, your post above was "Moderated". That means even though you posted it - it was invisible to the world until just now when I "approved" it.

:cheers:

The Guz
10-12-2020, 08:56 AM

I have been using coatings for about 5-6 years. At first I used Optimum Gloss Coat and did all my personal cars and my parents cars etc and had great luck about 18 months on daily drivers and on my moms car it is still going great at 3 years but she only has 12,000 miles (she`s 89).

I recently decided to change and try Car Pro Cquartz for no particular reason, I actually ordered Uk Edition but it was mixed up and I got Cquartz then I also used Gloss on top. Here are the exact steps I took on two vehicles a few weeks a part. I also did this same process on a brand new vehicle about 4 months ago except I didn`t polish it with Essence because it was new and didn`t require any correction.

Wash with Reset,
Iron X
Wash
Tar X Bottom panels only.
rinse
Spray with detailer spray and clay bar.
Dry
Polish with Car Pro Essense
IPA Wipe Down
Cquartz. 2 layers on hood only
Wait and hour and top with Gliss
Wait one hour and wipe down with Reload.

The vehicle which is a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee (burgundy ) stayed inside a garage for a day or two and was driven as normal.
As soon as the first rain came I noted that the beading wasn`t that great but after washing it came back a bit. But its NOTHING like my new Ram 1500 that has the exact product on it and same steps. I have washed it a few times and each time the beading is worse and worse.

Unfortunately it looks to be user error. The minimum wait time between any Cquartz coating and Gliss is 4 hours.

Reload is also not the greatest in durability. It masks the performance of a coating as it loses its hydrophobic behavior after a couple washes. Also Reload is not needed over Gliss.

bofh
10-12-2020, 10:34 AM
I really like to use BF One but I'm worried about it leaving behind a sealant that will interfere with the ceramic coating application. What's a good AIO that doesn't leave anything behind?

The Guz
10-12-2020, 10:45 AM
I really like to use BF One but I'm worried about it leaving behind a sealant that will interfere with the ceramic coating application. What's a good AIO that doesn't leave anything behind?

An AIO is not a good idea to use before any coating. Either a polish or a primer polish is what you want. YOu have many options with primer polishes these days from Gyeon Q2 Primer, CarPro Essence and now from Dr. Beasley's. Perhaps look into the Dr. Beasley's stuff.

Mike Phillips
10-12-2020, 11:17 AM
I really like to use BF One but I'm worried about it leaving behind a sealant that will interfere with the ceramic coating application.

We would ALL like to use BF One Step before installing a coating but the sealant WILL interfere with "proper" bonding of a coating.

What's a good AIO that doesn't leave anything behind?

From the year 2018, I include some Ceramic AIOs in this thread, BUT I don't know they can all be used before installing a ceramic coating - and from different companies, without any PANEL WIPE. It could be they can, but I'm not 100% for sure.

Prediction - More one-step Cleaner/Coatings or Primers (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/120830-prediction-more-one-step-cleaner-coatings-primers.html)

Jim Lafeber has stated that his Z1 can be topped with a coating without using a panel wipe.

:)