PDA

View Full Version : Help with detail steps

Pages : [1] 2

01AUDI
11-17-2017, 08:45 PM
I just purchased a new, used, black SUV. I noticed that it has a couple deeper scratches but mainly normal 10year old scratches. swirls and holograms. I have been researching and think I have a good plan but I've never had a black car that shows so much! I'm sure my last cars had swirls like this, but the black paint shows it all.
My main issue is that I have a basic $20 "buffer" and don't have a DA or Rotary polisher like most compounds / Polishes need. I don't want to spend the money for one either so i need to know if I am being reasonable with thiking that I can get some minor scratches out with this machine and these products. I think the only "bonnet" available is a micro fiber cloth. I don't think there is a "cutting" bonnet.

How does this look.. I am open to other products, these are just ones I have used before.

Step 1. Wash and dry with Meguiars Gold wash
Step 2. Clay bar with Meguiars clay kit
Step 3. Chemical Guys VSS scratch and swirl remover
Step 4. Chemical Guys Black Light polisher
Step 5. Chemical Guys Jet Seal polish
Step 6. Chemical Guys Butter Wax

lane5515
11-17-2017, 10:44 PM
I just purchased a new, used, black SUV. I noticed that it has a couple deeper scratches but mainly normal 10year old scratches. swirls and holograms. I have been researching and think I have a good plan but I've never had a black car that shows so much! I'm sure my last cars had swirls like this, but the black paint shows it all.
My main issue is that I have a basic $20 "buffer" and don't have a DA or Rotary polisher like most compounds / Polishes need. I don't want to spend the money for one either so i need to know if I am being reasonable with thiking that I can get some minor scratches out with this machine and these products. I think the only "bonnet" available is a micro fiber cloth. I don't think there is a "cutting" bonnet.

How does this look.. I am open to other products, these are just ones I have used before.

Step 1. Wash and dry with Meguiars Gold wash
Step 2. Clay bar with Meguiars clay kit
Step 3. Chemical Guys VSS scratch and swirl remover
Step 4. Chemical Guys Black Light polisher
Step 5. Chemical Guys Jet Seal polish
Step 6. Chemical Guys Butter Wax

Sorry to say but if you want to remove swirls, scratches and holograms you will need to spend some money. The buffer you are describing isn't going to do anything - the only thing those machines are good for is... well, nothing. Steps 1 and 2 look ok, 3-6 I'd find something better.

Bill1234
11-17-2017, 11:13 PM
Those machines are really only good for waxing, there is not really a cutting bonnet made for them because they cannot cut. Harbor freight sells a DA for cheap and then you can also work with the meguiars microfiber pads and good quality towels

oneheadlite
11-18-2017, 03:17 AM
Like the others have mentioned, you’ll need to up the budget a bit to actually accomplish some correction.

Get the HF machine, and pick up a 5” conversion kit with some quality pads (I’ve heard the HF machine isn’t bad for a starter machine, but I’ve not heard anything good about the pads it comes with).

I’m not familiar with the Chemical Guys products you listed, but it sure seems like you could greatly reduce the amount of effort invested in your project as well. What make is your black car? If it’s one known for hard paint, maybe look at McKee’s fast cut compound, Meguiars ultimate compound, or Griot’s BOSS fast correcting cream. Follow it with a polish then sealant or wax, or consider an all in one like McKee’s 360 or similar.

I know you’re not looking to spend a ton of dough, but a little money invested up front will not only make your initial results far superior to anything you could do with the wax applicator machine, but maintenance in the future will be far easier as well. Black can be frustrating because it shows so much, but it is also SO rewarding when you start getting it refined!!!

Looking forward to hearing what you decide to do and seeing some pictures!!!

TMQ
11-18-2017, 06:40 AM
Agreed on what's said so far.

To save yourself time, money and disappointment in the long run, don't skimp on tools and product.

1 and 2: you're good

I don't know anything about chemical guys so won't comment there.

Get the Griot 6" and a 5 inch backing plate. It's a real nice machine and not that expensive at all (around $150). It also carries a lifetime warranty.
Get 6 polishing pads
Get an AIO. May I suggest McKee's 360. It's a nice all round polish. Another one that just came out---Blackfire One step (AIO)

Then and only then you'll understand what the fuss is about us detailers getting excited about results!!! And in addition---you'll enjoy the process so much more with using good stuff!

Tom

hmardown
11-18-2017, 07:52 AM
as far as the Chemical Guys Butter Wax don't bother. I tried it & didn't like working with it. in fact I have a full bottle I'll never use. I tried giving it to a member but the cost for me to ship was more than I paid for it. as far as AIO hd speed & mckee's 360 are great. good luck.
hmardown

01AUDI
11-18-2017, 11:00 AM
Wow thank you all for the quick responses. I just looked at Harbour Freight and found the 6" D/A.. I am going to pick that up this week. I kept seeing $200+ machines and that is not something i could swing for an occasional buffing. I am not a detailer and I am sure there is a big different between the $200+ options and this machine, but for the couple times a year, ill deal with it.

The vehicle is a Nissan Pathfinder so I am not sure whether it is a hard paint or what products may be better for it. I tried to get some pictures but I cant get anything worth while. I will try when its a little sunnier out today.

I suppose now my original topic has changed as I am going to invest in this D/A polisher, now I need more recommendations on different product, sorry!

I would like to leave step 1 and 2 alone as I don't see any reason not to ?

From there I will want something to help with the swirls and light scratches. I am not sure i need a deep compound, but I know i will need more than a finishing polish. I would rather start light than go all out with something too abrasive as i am new and don't want to hurt the paint to where i cause more issues.
I had originally listed 6 steps so yes if i can bring that down with combination products, that would be even better ! I just think i may need one product to help with scratches and then one sealant/wax type.

I leave this vehicle outside all the time so I am looking for paint correct and longevity mainly. I drive on dirt roads a lot, leave my car in the sun all day with UV light and i am near the ocean with salt spray so my vehicle will get the wear. Like oneheadlight says, I want to correct thee issues now and then i can just maintain it from there to keep it from getting back to this spot.

ChrisT
11-18-2017, 11:23 AM
Steps one and two are perfect. How about this and then a top coat of wax?

https://www.autogeek.net/griots-boss-correcting-cream.html

KirkH
11-18-2017, 12:12 PM
The VSS might take care of the paint correction you need. It's not the best but it may work on that paint. I'd try it first (run what you brung) but you may need to go to the store and get a Meguiar's product.

The Jet Seal is good stuff, keep it in the mix. The Black Light is not necessary. It's for cars with great paint and going to the show.

Butter Wet Wax is fine as far as "1 month" waxes go.

oneheadlite
11-18-2017, 01:15 PM
No need to change steps one and two.

Not sure if they’re still on promo, but there was a McKee’s kit that had 360, a jeweling wax, I think fast cut compound, and something else for like $16. Little sample sizes, but I’d be willing to bet you be able to get pretty far with them. Then you’d have a low investment on being able to try different options.

Given your SUV is more daily driver than show pony, you might even get it where you’re happy with it with just an all in one like 360 and change how much it corrects by switching to a more/less aggressive pad. Nice thing about black is you don’t have to have it 110% perfect for a daily driver- just getting rid of 90% will have it really popping.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171118/cc45490541c15ef426abe064aacc6bee.jpg

Here’s my wife’s old car after I went over it. Still had RIDS and some other marking I wasn’t going to chase for sale of clearcoat, but she was plenty happy with it.

DaveT435
11-18-2017, 01:17 PM
I would put the Jet seal down first, I believe that's going to last the longest. Then Blacklight, then Butter wax if you want. When you get done as long as you've removed a high percentage of scratches and swirls it will look incredible. I love the look of Blacklight. The Blacklight and Butter wet wax don't have a very long life. I've heard the Jet seal lasts longer, not sure how long though.

01AUDI
11-18-2017, 02:10 PM
Ok i got some good pictures today, so hopefully this will help with yall giving me a recommendation on compound/polish/swirl remover or whatever else i need.. I would prefer one product to help alleviate the need for a compound and finish polish if possible. That is why i suggested the Chem Guys VSS. Hopefully the pictures will help you tell how abrasive i need and if I need a compound or a polish for these marks.
I think as my top protectant I want to use a product like Chem Guys Jet Seal because I need that longevity more so than anything. I may add a pure carnauba on after but my goal is to find a good product like Jet Seal first. I would like to be able to do this wash / correct / seal process and then keep up every 6 months with an additional sealing if that's not too unreasonable of a gap between seals ? I will do washes in between.

Pictures 1 & 2 are pretty accurate to the entire SUV, but may be the worst area as far as swirls.
Picture 3 you can see some hazing. I don't know what that is from as the gas tank is on the other side, so its not from spilled gas. it just a blueish foggy tint.
Picture 4 you can see that it is swirly but the reflection is very odd. It is bubbly and not crisp at all.. is that a bad paint job, loss of clear coat or something else ? Its not like this all over.

rangerbay
11-18-2017, 09:31 PM
I really like Griots Boss Fast Correcting Cream, and the Boss Correcting Cream, depending on the condition of the paint. Use it with microfiber pads to remove swirls, or good Boss orange pads to remove swirls, and leave a good gloss. You can You Tube how to use it.

Bill

Rtrick87
11-19-2017, 04:10 AM
I've had great success with CarPro Essence Xtreme Gloss Enhancer. I used it on a black GTR last week and removed waterspots and swirls in 3 passes.

dlc95
11-19-2017, 09:37 AM
I remember using those parts store buffers.

Gets some terry cloth bonnets, and try that VSS, or Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. I always had decent luck with those machines. However inefficient compared to other tools available, they are so much better than working by hand.

Foam bonnets might also be available, which would be great to use for a polish and a wax. You could even follow the VSS/terrycloth with VSS/foam to refine the finish, as the terrycloth is pretty aggressive.